PDA

View Full Version : Huge Ancestry favour, please!

Phoenix
21-07-10, 16:36
I know Horace Underwood b 1894 was in the army & is on Ancestry. Would sks please check his record for details of any wife & children?

Please only post spouse's name & number of children as the children may still be alive.

Thank you!

Finbar
21-07-10, 16:57
Hi Phoenix,

Is this Horace Underwood who enlisted in the RFA at Greenwich?

If so, I can find no record of family or next of kin in his service record. :confused:

Phoenix
21-07-10, 17:04
That would be him! Thanks for looking, Finbar.

Oakum Picker
21-07-10, 18:53
Is he a close relative? Amongst his papers there's a letter from him asking for his medals. His mother was Ellen.

Phoenix
22-07-10, 09:13
While he's no relation of mine, Glen, he is a close relation of my best mate. His Dad, Andrew had died from cancer several years earlier.
Several people on Genes have Horace & siblings on their tree, but I can't determine whether they are useful contacts or name-adders.
I've not read his military record, but gather he was a bad lad. It sounds as if the family lost contact -or he died young - as best mate had not previously heard of him.

Oakum Picker
22-07-10, 12:58
Just wondered if you wanted a copy of his record especially the hand-written letter. If you do PM me your addy.

Phoenix
22-07-10, 13:38
Ooh, yes please! It'll be ages before I can get access to Ancestry.
will pm you

Phoenix
22-07-10, 14:46
Wow, thanks, Glen! I didn't realise there was quite so much on him. t's much appreciated

Phoenix
22-07-10, 15:08
I didn't realise it really was a huge favour. Thank you again Glen. I'm at work, so can't spend as much time as I'd like to right now. Horace sounds a right handful. What is brilliant, because Dad is dead, siblings are listed as next of kin.

Oakum Picker
22-07-10, 15:13
My pleasure Brenda. I'm always pleased to help anyone who has WWI records as my lot were in the 'Burnt Docs'.