PDA

View Full Version : How can I trace my 5x G grandparents?

Langley Vale Sue
10-09-09, 15:42
This is all I have about my 4x G grandfather George TIVERS, or sometimes TIVER or, on his IGI marriage record, TEVER.

He was born, according to FMP parish records burials, in about 1777. He was buried on 17 July 1813 aged 36 at St John the Baptist, Axbridge, Somerset.
He married Mary Ann GAIGER (nee CARTER) on 2 October 1810 in St Lawrence, Winchester (extracted record from IGI).

I found a newspaper article online reporting his death, from the Salisbury & Winchester Journal dated August 1813 stating "Lately died, after a very short illness, Mr.George Tivers, master of a respectable academy, at Axbridge, Somerset."

He left 2 sons, the younger of whom (my GGG grandfather) was born around the time of his death, and also died young aged only 25. Both sons were given, I think, unusual combinations of names. The elder was Charles Cleveland Carter TIVERS (Carter obviously after his mother's maiden name) and my GGG grandfather was George Gideon Gustavus TIVERS. The names Charles, Cleveland, Gideon & Gustavus were handed down the generations until the early part of the 1900s. My Grandad was given Gustavus as a second name and he had a brother Cleveland & a nephew Gideon!

Do you think there may be a link to previous generations in these names and if so how would I go about finding it?
Where do I go from here to find his parents?
Any ideas please?

kiterunner
10-09-09, 15:59
There could well be a link to previous generations in those names, but it could also be they were named after godparents. If you can get a look at the parish register entry for the 1810 marriage, it might give you some more information about George, such as the parish where he was living at the time, and the names of the witnesses, who may or may not turn out to be relatives.

Phoenix
10-09-09, 16:19
If he were a school master of some kind, then he may well have advertised his trade in a newspaper. I think, too, that schoolmasters had to be licenced, just like publicans. While I don't think such records would give age of place of birth, then may confirm he was in the area.

Have you checked on a surname distribution map, to see where the name is likely to have originated? And have you contacted the Somerset & Dorset FHS as their marriage index may suggest parents or siblings.

Langley Vale Sue
10-09-09, 16:22
I've just found some transcribed Parish Registers for Hampshire and found his marriage listed.
http://www.archive.org/details/hampshireparishr05phil

It states he's 'of Lymington' so I'll see what I can find from there.

Thanks Kite.
Would I have to go to Winchester Records office to view the registers? I've never seen any before and this is all new to me.

Thanks Phoenix
I will contact the Somerset & Dorset FHS to see what can be found out.

I think a trip to Winchester and Axbridge is required :)

kiterunner
10-09-09, 16:27
Yes, you would be able to view the parish register entry at Winchester Record Office. Also there might be a local studies library that will also have copies of the registers. Or maybe you can find someone to go and look it up for you. I take it the transcription you looked at doesn't have the witnesses' names, then?

And have you already looked at Mary Ann's will? It's available on TNA Documents Online.

Langley Vale Sue
10-09-09, 16:36
No the transcription is just the index I think. Just says they were married by licence.

I have Mary Ann's will. From memory it just mentions her family (CARTER) and cousins etc. Nothing about TIVERS at all! Not even her sons!

kiterunner
10-09-09, 19:02
Sue, have you searched for Tivers on A2A? There are one or two entries that look as if they might be your family, especially the first match that comes up (Tenement and garden on the north side of the High Street, occupied by Richard Carter (1812) then Mary Tivers (1849).

Phoenix
10-09-09, 19:20
If they were married by licence, then the allegation & bond should tell you more. That may be on Ancestry. I'm sure I've seen it somewhere online. HRO have published them all, but they are not listed on their website..

Langley Vale Sue
10-09-09, 19:39
Sue, have you searched for Tivers on A2A? There are one or two entries that look as if they might be your family, especially the first match that comes up (Tenement and garden on the north side of the High Street, occupied by Richard Carter (1812) then Mary Tivers (1849).

Thanks Kite, I have all that. Richard Carter was Mary Ann's father, and the Mary listed is Mary Ann.

Langley Vale Sue
10-09-09, 19:41
If they were married by licence, then the allegation & bond should tell you more. That may be on Ancestry. I'm sure I've seen it somewhere online. HRO have published them all, but they are not listed on their website..

Thanks Phoenix, I'll see if I can find it on Ancestry.

I should really be doing my ironing, but I'm on a roll with my TIVERS tonight :D