PDA

View Full Version : Do i have the right marriage ?

Gert in Oz
20-07-10, 11:54
I am ordering a couple of certs for OHs side,

I have Isaac Holmes born 1827 Birmingham Warwickshire
And Emma Hill born 1824 Burton on Trent Staffordshire

Possible baptism for Emma is Emila 21 Mar 1824 Burton on Trent

First child of the marriage is in Manchester 1850, but baptised in Derby 1851 where all the other children were born.

LDS pilot site has a Isaac Hulme and Amelia Hill marrying at Manchester Cathedral 8 Feb 1849

Do you think this is my Isaac and Emma ?

I have found the marriage on Ancestry

Your opinion is appreciated

Phoenix
20-07-10, 12:57
Do you have an image, or just a transcript?
If the former, can they write? Do parents tally?

I'm not sure I'd be too worried by spelling differences at that period, particularly as I think (someone correct me) Manchester would have had heaps and heaps of marriages, so possibly they weren't as particular with spellings as hey might have ben had they known the parties well.

Gert in Oz
20-07-10, 13:10
Have looked at both image and transcript for marriage on Ancestry.

kiterunner
20-07-10, 15:03
It looks likely, since there are no children listed on FamilySearch Record Search for Isaac Hulme and Amelia and there doesn't seem to be an Isaac Hulme married to an Amelia on the 1851 census.

Mary from Italy
20-07-10, 16:18
Have looked at both image and transcript for marriage on Ancestry.

I didn't know Ancestry had images of Manchester marriages. Where did you find it? Or do you just mean the image of the index?

Gert in Oz
25-07-10, 12:40
Sorry Mary, i thought i had answered this, it was the index image. I have sent for the cert.

Gert in Oz
03-08-10, 11:47
Marriage cert arrived and it looks like my couple, grooms father Thomas, occupation bricklayer is right.

Emma/Amelias mother Sarah and a couple of siblings seem to have moved from Burton on Trent to near Manchester before 1861, Sarah is a widow.

Need to find Sarah in 1841, but will start a new thread.