PDA

View Full Version : Bright Ideas, please!

Phoenix
16-07-10, 18:36
George Ford is on
the 1891 census aged 35, born Ryde IOW
THE 1901 census aged 49, born Ryde IOW

Unfortunately, he dies Mar 1904 quarter, aged 44

So he could be born any time between 1852 and 1860.

In 1911 his three youngest boys are in Portsmouth in a workhouse school. So is Percy, born after his death. His widow is living in High Street Ryde as a servant with William Monger.

So perhaps there is a connection with Ryde?

His grandson has searched for years, but can find no positive trace of George before his marriage to Elizabeth Riley. He was in the army - probably in Africa in 1881 - but so briefly there are no discharge documents.

I don't have his marriage certificate to hand, but from memory his father was either George or John & possibly a carpenter.

I got quite excited about a prison warder with a son George b Alverstoke who was on IOW in 1871 - but I've found that George, still with his mum in 1891.

I've looked on Ancestry, I've looked on fmp. But I can't find George either.

The Hampshire accent is distinctive. I doubt you could say you were from the Island if you were born somewhere vastly different. So where the flip is he?

kiterunner
16-07-10, 18:52
It would help if you had the marriage certificate to confirm his father's name! And the witnesses' names - or were they relatives of the bride?

kiterunner
16-07-10, 18:54
Also was he a bachelor or widower on his marriage cert?

Phoenix
16-07-10, 18:58
I'll check the cert when I get home. I note family search has the Carisbrooke George as s/o George (not Benjamin) and Maria. And there is a son of John, born Ryde - but he is bron 1840 - which seems a wee bit old for the army c 1880.

Phoenix
16-07-10, 18:59
He says bachelor. But then he probably would anyway. He's at least 10 years olderthan his wife.

kiterunner
16-07-10, 19:00
FreeBMD has George Ford births on the Isle of Wight in Dec 1856 and Sep 1860. (Also Mar 1863 but that is a bit too late for your George). Details on the IOW FHS site are:
1856 - mother's maiden name Ford, district Newport,
1860 - mother's maiden name Brading, district Cowes,
1863 - mother's maiden name Tayler, district Ryde.

I would think the 1856 one is most likely to be your George except it is Newport instead of Ryde.

kiterunner
16-07-10, 19:11
Hmm, "Benjamin"'s occupation in 1861 is farmer of 115 acres employing 2 men and 2 boys so unlikely to be a carpenter. But his son George matches the 1856 birth and there is a Benjamin Ford / Maria Ford marriage at St Mary's, Carisbrooke in 1848. The other children have father's name Benjamin on their baptisms, according to FamilySearch Record Search, so I would think that father George on the 1856 Carisbrooke baptism is a mistake.

I suppose what we really need to do is find the Carisbrooke George on the 1891 or later to rule him out.

Phoenix
16-07-10, 19:17
George b Ryde 1840 presumably can be ruled out as there is a death George 1885 aged 45.

I agree Benjamin is most likely for Dad, but that definitely wasn't the the name on the marriage cert.

kiterunner
16-07-10, 19:18
Ah, George Ford was buried at St Mary's Carisbrooke 3 Jul 1876 age 19, so I guess that rules out that one who was born 1856 son of Benjamin and Maria. Back to the drawing board...

kiterunner
16-07-10, 19:26
My best guess then is that he didn't start out as a Ford, but there are so many Georges born Ryde that it's going to be difficult to find the right one unless his marriage witnesses give us a clue. I'm assuming that niece on the 1901 census is his wife's niece?

Phoenix
16-07-10, 19:29
Thanks for that, Kate. At least two more avenues are closed.

With such uncertainty over his past, I do wonder whether he has used an assumed name. It has caused his grandson untold frustration. He even wonders whether he was actually scottish (he was in the Black Watch) but I don't see how you conceal the accent!

Just realised the time. Will have to head for home, but thank you for your input!

Phoenix
16-07-10, 19:31
My best guess then is that he didn't start out as a Ford, but there are so many Georges born Ryde that it's going to be difficult to find the right one unless his marriage witnesses give us a clue. I'm assuming that niece on the 1901 census is his wife's niece?

Oh yes. She's having a dirty weekend with her future husband - who is also marked down safely in the bosom of his family.

Phoenix
19-07-10, 08:50
Hmm. George says he's 32 when he marries, early in 1888. He gives his father's name as John Ford, carpenter.
Witnesses are Joseph Hines - a neighbour in 1891 - and Fanny Taylor.

Cousin has a birth certificate for a George Ford, son of John Ford sawyer & Eliza Ann nee Brading in Carrel Lane Cowes in 1861.

John was in the marines when he married in Portsea in 1855.

But, cousin has written died 1862 all over the birth cert.