PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Botting (OH's MMMF)

Jill
16-07-10, 16:48
Name - "official" name and what they were known as: Joseph Botting

Date and place of birth: 1818, Shipley, Sussex

Names of parents: William Botting & Charlotte (nee Rapley)

Date and place of baptism - if applicable: 04 Oct 1818, Shipley, Sussex

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any: 12 Apr 1847, Holy Trinity, Cuckfield to Elizabeth Anne Botting

Occupation(s) - if any: 1841: Male Servant in farmer’s household. 1851 Miller’s loader, thereafter an agricultural labourer

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on.
1841: Faulkeners, Shipley, Sussex, MS in household of Henry Burtenshaw, farmer
1851: Mill House, Slaugham, Sussex
1861: next door to Slaugham Place, Slaugham, Sussex
1871: Slaugham Green, Slaugham, Sussex
1881: Slaugham Green, Slaugham, Sussex
1891: Slaugham, Sussex
1901: 6 Warren Cottages, Slaugham
1911: Handcross (with son Amos)

Date, place and cause of death; 1916 Cuckfield district

Date and place of burial / cremation: unknown

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable: not searched for, unlikely to be one

Memorial inscription - if any; not known

Joseph's great granddaughter told me some anecdotes told to her by her grandmother Elizabeth Botting (daughter on Joseph) who lived with her family in old age. Joseph was a very small man who had to stand on the fender to see the clock. In old age he had quite long white hair which one of his grandsons (Charles Leslie Botting) used to pull. His family use to put the clock forward so he would go to bed earlier. Leslie would also often ask him the same question: "Where's Coolham?" in order to hear him say "T'other side of Shipley parish" He was also somewhat deaf and when warned one winter not to go outside because it was slippery he replied "Whisky? Haven't had any for years!"

ElizabethHerts
16-07-10, 17:05
Can't find his burial, Jill, but was Charlotte Botting buried at Shipley in 1840?

I can give you some burials if you would like.

Jill
16-07-10, 18:02
I have to say I don't know Elizabeth, I'm just beginning with OH's tree, think she may have died before 1841 as she's not with the family on the census. Any pointers in the right direction very welcome!

ElizabethHerts
16-07-10, 18:22
There is Charlotte Botting who was buried on 8 Nov 1840 aged 51 - therefore born c. 1789

Possible for William Botting - buried 12 Mar 1873 aged 82 - therefore born c. 1791.

If you find you need any more, Jill, send me a pm. There are 50 for Shipley.

Jill
16-07-10, 19:36
Thankyou Elizabeth, these both tie in very well, I won't trouble you for any more as I hope to get to Worthing library and go through the microfiches later in the summer.