PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Cromwell Johnson (MMMF)

BlueSavannah
16-07-10, 11:25
Name - "official" name and what they were known as: Oliver Cromwell Johnson

Date and place of birth: 5th March 1884, Leicester

Names of parents: Alfred Johnson & Jane New

Date and place of baptism - Not Found

Details of each of his or her marriages: 19th May 1907 at St Bartholomew, Carbrook, Sheffield, to Beatrice Pope. Witnesses Sidney Williamson & Edith Alice Pope. Children of Alfred Johnson & Joseph Pope.

Occupation(s) - Boiler Maker

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on:
1891: 145 Meadow Hall Road, Sheffield with parents.
1901: 36 Cromer Street, Wincobank, Sheffield with widower father.
1911: 14 Askern Street, Carbrook, Sheffield with wife Beatrice, 2 children and mother-in-law, Mary Ann Pope.

Date, place and cause of death: Lost presumed dead on the 27th November 1917 in France during WW1 (Nan remembers a story that he was the lookout on a boat which was sunk....her mother named Oliver as watchman on her marriage cert).

Date and place of burial / cremation: Wasnt one, he was lost and body never found.

Details of will / administration of their estate: Not sure if left one, would dearly like a copy if there is a will :)

Memorial inscription: There isnt a memorial but he is named on the Cambrai Memorial in Louverval, France.

Merry
16-07-10, 12:29
Have you seen his army papers? They say he was a watchman on there too. Ancestry says they have 15 pages of docs for him, but there seemed to be a lot more than that when I looked at them. The widows pension records are in with his army docs rather than in the separate pension section.

BlueSavannah
16-07-10, 15:30
Hi Merry

Yes, I have seen the documents on ancestry. I saw most of them on a trip to Kew a few years ago but I have found more stuff on Ancestry. He was a boiler worker on the 1901 and 1911 but became a watchman after that.

Out of all my ancestors that were in WW1, Oliver has had the best documentation that has survived. They made very interest reading. They listed his three sisters under their married names which was a major help :)