PDA

View Full Version : For those with an Ancestry Sub

marquette
15-07-10, 04:14
Today Ancestry have put online a database of Australian Birth Death and Marriage Records.

I think they are from the publicly available indexes, so no advantage if you only want NSW, Qld or WA, which are free on-line. But Vic, SA and Tas will also be on-line. (WA not yet).

Even without a sub, by entering name and parents names I have been able to get some results, years of death in the death indexes !!

Happy hunting

Di

Kit
15-07-10, 06:39
QLD indexes are useful on ancestry, many of them have the actual date rather than just the year which the QLD site doesn't give. They still however don't say a place of death, birth etc except for QLD.

marquette
15-07-10, 06:50
I can see I am going to have to try and afford an ancestry sub again - I don't have many in Qld, but I have a stack of Victorian and Tasmanians I would like to nail down, especially deaths.

Ancestry is much easier than the Vic BDMS -from the little bit I have done today, if you put in parents names you pretty much get the right person, even if the dates (except year of death) and places are blocked when you don't have a sub.

I have tracked down lots of birth and death, and marriage full dates but using the NLA Newspapers website - if you have the year, and they put a notice in the paper, then you can go right up to 1954.

I don't think we will ever get one source for all the information we desire, but you can sometimes piece all the little bits together. There is soo much more available now than when I started in 1999, am just grateful for every new source.

Di

kiterunner
15-07-10, 07:23
We have a post about this on our blog:
http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/wordpress/

And we've got a thread about this on the news board:
http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=5492

I spent most of yesterday looking my rellies up! Especially the Victoria ones, who I'd been too mean to shell out for.

marquette
15-07-10, 07:39
Oh, I did not realise - Brad Argent from ancestry was on the radio this afternoon

Merry
15-07-10, 10:52
Presumably one needs a Worldwide sub to access this database?

Kit
15-07-10, 11:00
prob just an aussie sub although I do have worldwide

KiwiChris
15-07-10, 19:12
I have an Aussie sub and I can get them.

HarrysMum
15-07-10, 19:28
Thanks Christine.............I was just going to ask.

Hubby (oh I love him....) has told me to get another Ancestry sub for my birthday. I don't really need worldwide and can't really afford it, but I have trouble sorting the different subs.

If I go to Ancestry.com.au there seems to be different ones to Ancestry.co.uk
I'm sure they used to be called the same thing, so I wonder if it's just not caught up with the new changes.

I'd love all the Aussie info, but I also want the old UK info like the London Archives, etc.

I'll need to check it all out again........or maybe ring them?

marquette
15-07-10, 21:29
Libby

I had a UK Heritage Plus sub which included all the Aussie records, but I don't know if it works the other way. I would ring and ask them what the "Core" records include, if you don't want the LMA records - looks like the LMA records are the only "extra" for the extra money.

"Access to over 850 million searchable names from Australia, the UK and Ireland, plus 400 years of London history from the London Metropolitan Archives - Heritage Plus only"

"Unlimited access to over 850 million searchable names from core Australian, UK & Irish collections - Heritage sub and Heritage Plus"

Di

HarrysMum
15-07-10, 22:57
Thanks Di......I'll give them a call.

I had the world one (a great SBS special...lol) and before that, the UK Heritage, but through .com.au

Kit
15-07-10, 23:08
Libby try the different ancestrys and compare prices and access. I have a canada worldwide sub as it was cheaper than an aussie one and I don't mean aussie worldwide. That way I get everything and I even had a look for the odd distant rellie who went to Canada or USA while I had the sub.

Mary from Italy
16-07-10, 09:59
I managed to negotiate a 25% discount on the World sub by phoning them.

Kit
16-07-10, 12:51
How did you manage that Mary?

The Vic records are not too good. Names appear to be abbreviated ie Jas for James in the indexes which could also be how the original records are written. It can make it hard to search. I found one child where I wasn't sure if they were male or female until I fortunately found death notices in the paper for the parents. Also I suspect the transcriptions aren't the best either.

Mary from Italy
16-07-10, 15:51
How did you manage that Mary?

A long time earlier I hadn't renewed my Ancestry sub, and they kept sending messsages offering a discount if I renewed. The time limit had expired, but they let me have the discount anyway.

I think other people have pointed out to them that you can get 6 months' free anyway by buying FTM, and persuaded them to give a discount instead of actually having to buy the program.

The people who answer the phone seem to have quite a bit of leeway to offer discounts, so it's always worth insisting.

I did point out that FTM automatically gives subscribers a 20% discount if they renew, without making you jump through hoops, and Ancestry ought to do the same.

Kit
17-07-10, 09:45
The people who answer the phone seem to have quite a bit of leeway to offer discounts, so it's always worth insisting.

You're lucky. Last time I rang the response was there are no discounts.

Margaret in Burton
17-07-10, 09:59
A long time earlier I hadn't renewed my Ancestry sub, and they kept sending messsages offering a discount if I renewed. The time limit had expired, but they let me have the discount anyway.

I think other people have pointed out to them that you can get 6 months' free anyway by buying FTM, and persuaded them to give a discount instead of actually having to buy the program.

I did point out that FTM automatically gives subscribers a 20% discount if they renew, without making you jump through hoops, and Ancestry ought to do the same.

That's if they've heard of FTM. I rang to cancel my internet backup service to FTM 2006 as I can't use it now being on Windows 7. The American bloke I spoke to had never heard of FTM and almost cancelled my Ancestry sub instead. He didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I had to sort it out by emailing customer services.