PDA

View Full Version : the Finbow brick wall

hobbes
12-07-10, 08:44
I have been trying to locate a birth for a James Finbow in either 1797 or 1799in Gosbeck Suffolk. I have a feeling it was the later as a possible marriage for his parents (Richard Finbow and Elizabeth Cheney) was 1798.

Try as I might I cannot narrow down his birth - including british vital records, IGI and ancestry hints

Any clues where I try next as I would like to be able to order a parish record from overseas

kiterunner
12-07-10, 09:40
It could just be that it's not online and you would have to get someone to look it up at Suffolk Record Office.

Merry
12-07-10, 10:41
You didn't say where Richard and Elizabeth married, but there are a lot of non-conformist birth records for the children of Richard and Elizabeth Finbow at Otley, Suffolk showing on Family Search Record Search and BMD Registers sites. The first birth entry is for Hannah Finbow who was born 25th Dec 1800 and there are regular entried through to 1824 all recorded at Otley, but that might not be exactly where they lived, depending on the source of the data (you would need to pay to view the original entries to see if any more info was given. Unfortunately, there is no James amongst these records, but that doesn't conclusively prove your James doesn't belong to them!

Merry
12-07-10, 10:57
I've looked for the sons of Richard and Elizabeth in 1851 and have found a couple of matches and they say they were b in Gosbeck, so maybe that makes things a bit more hopeful?

Merry
12-07-10, 11:40
Is your James the one who married Esther? If yes, then I see his childrens births were recorded at Otley Baptist church, which is the same place as the children of Richard and Elizabeth were recorded, so a bit more hopeful if that is your James.

hobbes
13-07-10, 08:36
Hi

Yes James married Esther - I'm about to apply for the parish record for his marriage which was supposed to be in 1826 in Gosbeck. I've also got some links for Richard and Elizabeth - I think they married in 1798 but I'm not sure where. Elizabeth (Cheney) is supposed to also be from Gosbeck, so possibly there?

I also can't find a link for Esther who married James - her maiden name is Brett and she's born ~ 1800 or 1803

Merry
13-07-10, 08:58
It might be worth checking out the birth date on this one, in case it's mis-transcribed:

Name: Ester Brett
Baptism/Christening Date: 23 Jun 1815
Baptism/Christening Place: WHITING STREET INDEPENDENT,BURY SAINT EDMUNDS,SUFFOLK,ENGLAND
Birth Date: 25 Jan 1809
Father's Name: John Brett
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C07829-1
System Origin: England-ODM
Source Film Number: 825400
Reference Number:
Collection: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

The original image is available via BMD Registers http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/

Oakum Picker
13-07-10, 18:38
Had a look at the Gosbeck registers in the Lowestoft RO.

James PINBOW b of Hemingstone Esther BRETT sotp Banns 28/2/1826
Wit: Mary PINBOW Richard FENNING Richard signed

Both letters looked more like Ps than Fs but it may just be that whoever made the entry misheard as PINBOW is not a Suffolk surname.

There was no marriage for Richard & Elizabeth but there was this, brother/brother-in-law perhaps:

Robert CHENEY otp Hannah TAYLOR otp Banns 11/10/1799
Wit: Richard FINBOW Elizabeth FARES Robert & Hannah signed

CHENEY isn't a common name either: there were quite a few CHENERYs in Gosbeck

hobbes
25-07-10, 09:15
Thanks for the great hints. It gives me a good starting point. Thanks for your help with all of this