PDA

View Full Version : Bristol help please.

HarrysMum
06-07-10, 23:18
I've been looking for ages trying to get my Ariels "from somewhere" to Bristol in the mid 1700s, but no luck so far.

What I have found is four marriages on Family Search. Only one I can verify as mine, although the husband must have died early as the wife is mentioned as 'widow' in her brother's will.

That one is Elizabeth Ariel and Joshua Taylor 1775.

There is another Elizabeth Ariel marrying John Abbott 5 June 1768. No idea where she comes from, although I think she may be the aunt of the above Elizabeth.

Then these two which have me stumped...

Sarah Ariel and Austin Webb 25 June 1746
Sarah Ariel and Daniel White 6 July 1746

I know all of those marriages are correct transcriptions as I've seen the original PRs.

Unfortunately any baptisms have the father as William.........and all the Ariel fathers were William until the 1800s......lol

I've emailed every family history centre around Bristol, Somerset, Gloucestershire, etc and asked how I go about giving these Ariel girls to parents, but haven't had any replies.

Does anyone know anywhere else I can try?

Thanks.

Mary from Italy
07-07-10, 00:25
Not really.

I had a look at the Ancestry records, which are sometimes helpful for that kind of date, but all I found was yet another Sarah Ariel, this time marrying a Nicholas Walker in Bristol in 1764 :) plus Myles and Lucretia in 1839, and William Ariel and Elizabeth Hinkley in 1787.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=bivri_EnglandMarriages%2c&rank=0&gsfn=sarah&gsln=ariel&sx=&_82004010=&rg_81004011__date=&rs_81004011__date=0&_82004020=&rg_81004021__date=&rs_81004021__date=0&_82004030=&rg_81004031__date=&rs_81004031__date=0&gskw=&prox=1&ti=5538&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&pcat=EPR&fh=0&h=2581158&recoff=1+2

I know all of those marriages are correct transcriptions as I've seen the original PRs.

If you hadn't said that, I'd have bet good money on Austin Webb being a mistranscription for Daniel White, and one of the two entries being a reading of the banns.

Were any of the marriages by licence? You may get additional information from the marriage bonds/allegations, if they've survived, which will be at the local record office (or the one covering the diocese where they got married). However, the parents' names probably won't be given, unless one of the spouses was a minor.

Mary from Italy
07-07-10, 00:34
I was trying to search the Ancestry Parish and Probate records, but I can't get it to work. Is it working for you?

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/epr/main.aspx

The above link is the one I used to use, but perhaps this has replaced it:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/group/epr/UK+Parish+Records.aspx

HarrysMum
07-07-10, 01:16
Thanks Mary......I don't have Ancestry at the mo. Birthday next week hopefully.....lol

The Elizabeth Hinkley is actually Elizabeth Kirkby. I've sorted that one, and you all know Lucretia.

There was another Sarah.....I forgot about her....lol

I wonder if Austin Webb is Daniel White???? I have seen the originals but I was LOOKING for those names and the page was fairly hard to read. I have copies....I'll go back.

Most of them married by licence, not sure about these.

Mary from Italy
07-07-10, 01:52
I wonder if Austin Webb is Daniel White???? I have seen the originals but I was LOOKING for those names and the page was fairly hard to read. I have copies....I'll go back.

That's what I was wondering, because Daniel's one of those names that's easily misread, and I think Austin would have been a very unusual first name at the time (although I'm not very familiar with the Bristol/Gloucs area).

Actually I might be wrong there - I've just checked FreeBMD, and there are a surprising number of Austins in Gloucs.

Uncle John
08-07-10, 16:59
Actually I might be wrong there - I've just checked FreeBMD, and there are a surprising number of Austins in Gloucs.

*attempts to restrain self from comment about car ownership patterns*

HarrysMum
06-09-18, 22:07
I’m resurrecting this thread because I’m still no further advanced in eight years.

There are lots of Ariel threads here but nothing that will add to this so don’t send yourself batty reading them.

I’ve seen the original PRs thanks to my sister getting them on a trip to LDS in Salt Lake City. The grooms are two seperate people.

I’m thinking one Sarah is probably the sister of William born c 1724. He married Elizabeth Griffith/s. 1748 in Bristol.
I’m trying to prove that bit and then work out who the other Sarah is and which one married which fellow.

Please feel free to give up at this point.

Sorry, I meant to add, I’m only needing help with these two Sarahs, not all the people mentioned in the first post.

HarrysMum
06-09-18, 22:34
I have found a snippet about a Miss Sarah Webb of Berkeley Square Bristol marrying Rev Robert Digby Stillingfleet in 1816.
It’s a long time after that 1746 marriage if she is a daughter of Austen Webb, but Berkeley Square is one of the Ariel homes.
Might be nothing of course.

Merry
07-09-18, 07:35
I have found a snippet about a Miss Sarah Webb of Berkeley Square Bristol marrying Rev Robert Digby Stillingfleet in 1816.
It’s a long time after that 1746 marriage if she is a daughter of Austen Webb, but Berkeley Square is one of the Ariel homes.
Might be nothing of course.

Sarah, the wife of Rev Stillingfleet was born around 1790 at Cirencester, Gloucestershire (1851 and 1881 census)

HarrysMum
07-09-18, 08:00
Thanks Merry, just wondering if she might be related to Austin Webb.

I just cannot fathom two Sarah Ariel’s marrying different fellows a week apart in Bristol that early.

Merry
07-09-18, 08:24
Where did the two marriages take place?

Merry
07-09-18, 08:31
Oh, and who were the witnesses?

kiterunner
07-09-18, 09:13
There won't be any witnesses in 1746, Merry.

HarrysMum
07-09-18, 09:48
Austin Webb 25/6/1746 St Jacob and St Phillip Bristol
Daniel White. 6/7/1746 same place.
No witnesses on the handwritten record I saw.

Merry
07-09-18, 11:42
There won't be any witnesses in 1746, Merry.

lol I was in 1846 when I posted :o

kiterunner
07-09-18, 13:30
I have some Austins (first name) in my tree whose name was interchangeable with Augustine, so Austin Webb could be the Augustine Webb, butcher, who became a Burgess of Bristol 19 Jul 1746 by right of his father John Webb, saddler, deceased.

And Daniel White could be the block maker who became a Burgess of Bristol 30 Jul 1746, by having served an apprenticeship, firstly to James Legg and then to Henry Davis. His father was John White, butcher, deceased. He then appears as patron to various people who were made burgesses, including a Thomas Webb, block maker, in 1760.

Doesn't really help though.

kiterunner
07-09-18, 15:06
Ooh, I found this in the wills index on the Bristol Archives website, although I had searched the PDF that I had downloaded and didn't see it:

1746 WEBB Sarah, City of Bristol, wife of Augustine WEBB, formerly widow of ORRIEL.

This is a link to the wills info on Bristol Archives website:
http://archives.bristol.gov.uk/Willsindex.aspx

Merry
07-09-18, 19:22
Gosh, no wonder I couldn't see any children.

Merry
07-09-18, 19:46
So, I wonder if she was the widow of William who may have been the father of John Ariel and perhaps also the father of William b 1724?

This is John:

First name(s) John
Last name Ariel
Gender Male
Birth year -
Birth place -
Baptism year 1727
Baptism date 04 Feb 1727
Residence Bristol, Gloucester, England
Place Bristol
County Gloucestershire
Country England
Father's first name(s) William
Father's last name Ariel
Mother's first name(s) -
Mother's last name(s) -

John, son of William Ariel, apprenticed to Stephen Bagg of the City of Bristol, currier, 1742

Oh, maybe not, as there is this marriage just a couple of years before the one to Austin Webb:

First name(s) Wm
Last name Arill
Name note -
Marriage year 1744
Marriage date 14 Nov 1744
Marriage place Clifton
Spouse's first name(s) Sarah
Spouse's last name Cross
Residence Clifton, Gloucester, England
County Gloucestershire
Country England

Name: William Ariel
Burial Date: 7 Feb 1745
Burial Place: Bristol, Gloucester, England
FHL Film Number:

HarrysMum
07-09-18, 20:01
Gee, that’s more than I’ve ever found. How do you do that?

I’ll dig out the PRs because from memory, one of those Sarahs is written as Arill, which I presumed to be Ariel. On the handwritten record it could be either.

Merry
07-09-18, 21:40
Ooh, I found this in the wills index on the Bristol Archives website, although I had searched the PDF that I had downloaded and didn't see it:

1746 WEBB Sarah, City of Bristol, wife of Augustine WEBB, formerly widow of ORRIEL.

This is a link to the wills info on Bristol Archives website:
http://archives.bristol.gov.uk/Willsindex.aspx

I can't believe that in all the years I've searched for Ariel stuff I've never thought to search with an O as the first letter!

There are two burials in 1722 and 1723, the children of William Orriell, buried at Broadmead Baptist Church. I have seen the image for one of them, but I can't get back in to transcribe it. The other one won't open at all!

I'm imagining they could be further siblings for John (bap in earlier post) and William (1724) and perhaps William (the father) was in the process of switching between C of E and Baptist during the 1720s.

I looked for a potential marriage for William, the father. There are several to choose from but I wondered about this one because of the bride's surname (if they were dabbling in non-conformity there might be a greater chance of marrying a relation, perhaps):

Record set Somerset Marriage Index
First name(s) William
Sex Male
Last name Orial
Marriage year 1718
Spouse's first name(s) Susanna
Spouse's last name Cross
Parish Taunton
Denomination Anglican
County Somerset
Country England
Document type Parish records
Residence Javerson
Marriage date 27 Feb 1718
Church St Mary Magdalene
Spouse's residence Kingstone
By licence or by banns Licence
Archive Somerset Archives

kiterunner
07-09-18, 22:04
Gee, that’s more than I’ve ever found. How do you do that?

I must admit, I only found that Bristol will record by Googling for "Augustine Webb" Bristol after I had found nothing in my Bristol files and CD's. And of course it helped that I had come across Austin being a variant of Augustine in my own tree.

Merry
07-09-18, 22:07
Just a guess!

First name(s) Susanna
Last name Aroll
Gender Female
Marital status -
Occupation -
Event year 1739
Birth year -
Age at death -
Burial year 1739
Burial date 23 Mar 1739
Burial place Bristol, Gloucester, England

kiterunner
07-09-18, 22:30
There are two burials in 1722 and 1723, the children of William Orriell, buried at Broadmead Baptist Church. I have seen the image for one of them, but I can't get back in to transcribe it. The other one won't open at all!

Dcbr 21 William Orriells child interd 0/2/6 (price)
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/2972/40612_B0151071-00243?pid=2692922&treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=dNx3527&_phstart=successSource

and the other register for the same burial:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/2972/40612_B0151071-00110?pid=2691642&treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=dNx3527&_phstart=successSource
21 William Orriells child was interd under ye north wall and 8 yards from the east wall.

And there are two register entries for the other one as well:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/2972/40612_B0151071-00112?pid=2691683&treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=dNx3529&_phstart=successSource
1723 July 5 William Orriell child was interd 8 yards from the east wall and under the north wall.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/2972/40612_B0151071-00244?pid=2692960&treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=dNx3529&_phstart=successSource
July 5 William Orriells child interd he a member 0/0/0.

HarrysMum
07-09-18, 23:48
Oh thank you both. Broadmead seemed to be the Ariel’s church of choice.

HarrysMum
08-09-18, 06:52
Do you know if I can buy that will? I had another Bristol will I wanted to buy but never got a reply from the site that had it. Was ages ago.

Merry
08-09-18, 08:31
Just click Kate's link and see the bit about copies.

NickiP
08-09-18, 13:55
If you are able to get to an LDS Family History Centre Familysearch have digitised the Bristol Wills microfilms but they are restricted to the FHCs.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/263129?availability=Family%20History%20Library