PDA

View Full Version : Charles and Elizabeth Saundby

kiterunner
01-07-10, 13:19
A marriage which turned up on the new FamilySearch Record Search pilot site, missing from Phillimore's Marriages (which means it is also missing from FreeREG). I went to the archives and looked the marriage up in the parish register to get the full details:

Blyth, Nottinghamshire 16 Mar 1825 Charles Saundby of the parish of Tickhill in the county of York, farmer, a bachelor, and Elizabeth Wilkinson of this parish, spinster, married by banns, witnesses Thomas Smith(?) and John Bawbell.

I'm interested in this because Charles Saundby was a witness at the marriage of my 4xg-grandparents, John Sewell and Mary Wilkinson, also in Blyth, the following year. Mary Wilkinson was baptised in Blyth, 5 Sep 1802, daughter of John and Mary Wilkinson of Hodsock, but I've never managed to get anywhere with the Wilkinsons so I was hoping the Saundby marriage would be the breakthrough I needed. If I could find Charles and Elizabeth on a census I would get Elizabeth's year and place of birth or failing that, at least her burial or death might give me the year of birth.

But I can't find what happened to Charles and Elizabeth after their marriage, apart from that appearance as a witness. I was wondering if Charles could be Challis Saunby who was baptised 3 Nov 1804 at South Kelsey, Lincolnshire, but it looks unlikely because Challis is called Challis (or Chalis) Saunby on the censuses and on his marriage to Mary Tissington in 1834 (Headon, Notts) and on his death registration, while my Charles Saundby signed his name as Charles Saundby on his marriage and as a witness on the other one, and it looks as though he was used to signing. But I will check the Headon marriage next time I go, just in case. In the mean time, can anyone find what happened to my Charles and Elizabeth, please? There is a possible baptism for Charles in 1785 in Saundby, Notts.

kiterunner
01-07-10, 18:59
Just to add it does look likely that my Charles is the one christened 5 Jun 1785 at Saundby, Notts, parents Henry and Mary, because I found a marriage between John Bawbell and Elizabeth Saundby 11 Jun 1801 Saundby, and a baptism for Elizabeth Saundby 31 Jan 1772 at Saundby, parents Henry and Mary. But what happened to Charles Saundby after his marriage?

(Edit - or could my Charles be an illegitimate son of Elizabeth's born before her marriage? But if so, I can't find his baptism)