PDA

View Full Version : So... my Buies...

kiterunner
28-06-10, 22:44
Thanks to the super new London Lives site that Mary from Italy kindly told us about, I've found what must be my Isabella Buie's family. My Isabella married Francis Freemantle 1st Sep 1765 at St Dunstan in the West, witnesses Geo Peter Christian and Samuel Buie, and her second marriage was to Daniel Davies 25 Jul 1793 at St Olave Southwark, witnesses Alice Westbrook and Sommers Hodgson (serial witness). Isabella died October 1821, age given as 80 on her burial record.

Now the London Lives site has apprentice binding and freedom entries for Samuel Buie, son of George Buie late of St Olaves Southwark, brewer. Samuel was bound to James Webb of the Carpenters Company 5 Apr 1753 and freed 5th Mar 1765.

Looking at FamilySearch Record Search, I found a burial for Samuel Buie 15 Mar 1767 at St Dunstan in the West, and checking the image on ancestry it gives his residence as Whites Alley and place of burial as Fetters Lane.

There is this baptism on FamilySearch Record Search:
George Buie baptised 7 Mar 1737 St Olave Southwark, parents George and Eliz.
Given that the name Buie is just asking for mistranscriptions, I then looked for children baptised at St Olave Southwark with parents George and Elizabeth and found these:
Isabella Bruce baptised 2 Feb 1745
Samuel Benie baptised 17 Oct 1742
Sarah Brvies baptised 9 Nov 1735.

That Isabella Bruce must surely be my Isabella, don't you think? I was hoping to check the images for the baptisms on ancestry but I can't find them on there, which happens to me a lot! I would like to know if there were actually variations of the surname in the PR's or if it was always written as Buie. Can anyone else find the St Olave Southwark / Bermondsey baptisms for those years, or are they really missing from ancestry?

I've been looking on FamilySearch Record Search in the hope of finding burials for George senior and Elizabeth (or a remarriage for Elizabeth) but no luck, nor their marriage; can anyone else find them?

Merry
29-06-10, 12:24
Sorry, I've not read all your post yet as I had to say I'd not heard of London Lives before and was wondering how you found:

Now the London Lives site has apprentice binding and freedom entries for Samuel Buie

I don't get any matches for his name (or any other name I've entered, which admittedly is only two names so far!)

samesizedfeet
29-06-10, 13:06
It comes up if you search for Buie as a keyword

Merry
29-06-10, 13:17
Doh, and it works if you put Buie in the Surname box instead of the Forename box!!

*slinks away*

Merry
29-06-10, 13:50
Can anyone else find the St Olave Southwark / Bermondsey baptisms for those years, or are they really missing from ancestry?

I was going to have a look for you, but the collection doesn't seem to be on the front page any more, under 'What's Happening at Ancestry co uk' and I've forgotten what it's called! If you could point me in the right direction please.

Having said that, I usually find the one bit I want is missing!

kiterunner
29-06-10, 14:45
Thanks, Merry. I've got it in my "Quick Links":
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=1624&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0

Merry
29-06-10, 21:36
Thanks forthe link - I've not had any luck finding the right sections of the PRs though. :(

kiterunner
29-06-10, 21:55
Thanks for trying, Merry. Looks like it really is missing then.

Sue from Southend
30-06-10, 08:29
Those years seem to be available at the LMA tho'

SAINT OLAVE, BERMONDSEY, TOOLEY STREET, SOUTHWARK
Composite register: baptisms, marriages, burials
LONDON BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK 1716 Jun - 1747 Mar X015/006 - index X102/017

(from LMA London Generations)

So it looks as though they've been missed in the digitisation. I wonder if we report missing registers will they go back and add them?

Phoenix
30-06-10, 15:06
If it's a composite register, is there any chance the the entries are actually with the baptisms (or burials?)

kiterunner
30-06-10, 15:13
I had a look in various batches and couldn't see them, Phoenix, and the dates I wanted aren't listed on the menu at all, but hopefully it's a batch that they had problems of some kind with and will appear one day. Or when they upload the pre-1813 indexes.