PDA

View Full Version : John Moore

BlueSavannah
28-06-10, 12:42
Hi All

I am trying to find where my John Moore is in 1911 and have a feeling he may be abroad.

John was born 16th April 1880 in Glasgow (10 Colgrain Terrace). He was there on teh 1881 census with his mother, Martha, and brother, Alfred. Father John was in a hospital and died later that year in Glasgow.

On the 91 and 1901 census, he is at 20 Cromer Street, Wincobank, Sheffield with his mother, Martha, and stepfather, Joel Hampson. On the 1901 census, his occupation is a Machinest.

There are a few likely marriages between 1901 and 1911 that could be John; however, I cannot locate him on the 1911 census.

I believe I have found his death in 1972 in Sheffield. The date of birth given on the death index matches my John.

I have found a passenger list returning to the UK from Canada on the 11th June 1913 of a John Moore aged 32 which gives an occupation as 'machinest'. I am now wondering if my John went abroad for a while as his brother Alfred also went abroad around this time to work (Alfred was in Chile).

I have managed to find a school record of a child named Alfred Moore, father named John, of 21 Cromer Street. The admission date is the 26th August 1913. This child is given as born on the 4th March 1909 There doesnt appear to be any Alfred Moore's born in Sheffield that match this date. I wonder if this child was born abroad.

Any thoughts on where to go from here are much appreciated

Merry
28-06-10, 13:01
It's a great pity there isn't a post 1969 death record for Alfred Moore with dob 4th Mar 1909 which you could get to clarify where he was born!

BlueSavannah
28-06-10, 13:21
Thats true Merry. When I found the school record, I thought I was on to something but it hasnt helped me at all so far. :confused: