PDA

View Full Version : Lost family in 1841 census

samesizedfeet
25-06-10, 17:14
They show up in 1851 and I'm attempting to link then in to my family (or discount them) and finding them in 1841 may help (finding them anywhere else would be handy)

Caroline Fenton 72 (c1778) b Newcastle Staffordshire
Caroline Fenton 42 (c1808) Widow b Torpenhow Cumberland
Ann Fenton 32 (c1818) b Newcastle Staffordshire
James Fenton 25 (c1815) b Newcastle Staffordshire
Charles Fenton 23 (c1817) b Newcastle Staffordshire

1851: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8860&iid=STSHO107_2006_2006-0465&fn=Caroline&ln=Fenton&st=r&ssrc=&pid=8359661

There's a Torpenhow Caroline who shows up in 1861 living with a Robert Fenton "brother" (transcribed as Carolene) - but I"m not sure if she's the same one.

I'm hoping the older Caroline could be Caroline Godwin wife of James Fenton and mother of Henry John Fenton. I've just ordered a death certificate for James Fenton in 1838 in Stratford on Avon which may also be connected.

Basically, it's a lot of guesswork I"m trying to tie together with zero luck

tyia
Z

Mary from Italy
25-06-10, 18:01
There's a Torpenhow Caroline who shows up in 1861 living with a Robert Fenton "brother" (transcribed as Carolene) - but I"m not sure if she's the same one.

They're also in the same household in 1841, living at the Rectory, Ousby, Cumberland.

John Fenton, 65, rector
Alexander Fenton, 35, ind
Robert Fenton, 30, ind
Carolene Fenton, 30
Mary Fenton, 20

plus 3 servants. John and Robert born out of county, and the others in county.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8978&iid=CULHO107_172_174-0075&fn=Carolene&ln=Fenton&st=d&ssrc=&pid=761756

Mary from Italy
25-06-10, 18:10
There are some submitted entries on the IGI which show the parents of Alexander Wilford, Caroline, Robert and Mary Fenton as Rev. John Fenton and Anne Livingston; there are also a few other children listed for that couple.

No idea whether that's correct, because in 1851, Robert's sister Caroline is shown as a widow. I had assumed she was his sister-in-law, but if the IGI entries are right, her maiden name was Fenton.

Mary from Italy
25-06-10, 18:35
Aha!

Caroline, daughter of John Fenton, Rector of Ousby, apparently married her cousin Robert Fenton.

http://www.archive.org/stream/agenealogicalan05burkgoog#page/n90/mode/1up/search/ousby

So that explains why her married name and maiden name are the same, but doesn't get us any closer to Caroline senior. Looks as though she's unmarried in 1851, though, in which case she isn't Caroline Godwin.

Mary from Italy
25-06-10, 19:28
This looks like the baptism of the Caroline Fenton sr you found in 1851, in which case she's not Caroline Godwin, I'm afraid:

CAROLINE FENTON
Female

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 12 OCT 1778 Newcastle Under Lyme, Stafford, England

Parents:
Father: THOS FENTON
Mother: ELIZTH

They also had a son John, baptised in 1773, who's the right age to be John Fenton the Rector of Ousby.

samesizedfeet
25-06-10, 20:53
Thank you, Mary.

Sorry for not being back quicker but I've had the builder in to sort out my extension schedule.

Definitely look to all be unconnected to my Fentons. Brilliant work, you're a star.

Back to the drawing board on working my lot out.

Z
x

Mary from Italy
25-06-10, 20:56
I had a good look for a marriage for Caroline Godwin and James Fenton, but I can't see anything in the usual places.

samesizedfeet
25-06-10, 21:25
Me neither.

Trouble is they could also be another acting family so I cant even narrow down an area they should be in.

As an example Henry John Fenton was born in Barnard Castle, Durham. He married in Bedfordshire and his children were born all around the UK. He died in Nottinghamshire.

I've just today had an email about two new children for Henry John - one of who is causing me tons of confusion - but I"ll post another thread about her when I've exhausted everything I can think of.