View Full Version : Australia and New Zealand records - findmypast

kiterunner
24-06-10, 11:32
Launched last month, but I've only just heard about it:

http://www.findmypast.com.au/about-us.php

*prepares to dive in*

kiterunner
24-06-10, 11:47
Hmmm, as far as I can see, although searching is free, if you want to view records you can have a 24 hour free trial and then have to buy a subscription. The monthly option works out at about £4.50 per month in UK money and as far as I can see, you could cancel after a month if you want. I think I'll have the 24 hour free trial when I've got some time free to make the most of it.

maggie_4_7
24-06-10, 18:08
To be honest with you I didn't find anything useful most of the records don't go that far back for it to be useful to anyone with migrators before 1890 unless I was looking in the wrong place!

I did find my friend's school records and also her siblings though and three of them are younger than me!

kiterunner
24-06-10, 18:37
That's weird considering how strict the Australian and NZ laws on privacy are regarding the BMD indexes!
I do have a lot in my tree who emigrated before 1890 and I could see on the free search there are a lot of likely matches but like I said, I must wait until the right time to start my 24 hours free trial.

maggie_4_7
24-06-10, 18:52
Well when I couldn't find anything that interested me I thought mmmm how weird but looking at the time frame of the records it's probably why.

So just for the fact I had a free trial and I know a lot about my friend's family I did a bit of searching and I found those school records and also some stuff with with her father on. It surprised me actually. By the way she was born in 1961.

kiterunner
24-06-10, 18:55
Was that New Zealand or Australia, Maggie?

maggie_4_7
Queensland, Australia.

Mary from Italy
I did the free trial; there wasn't an awful lot I was interested in, but the Police Gazettes were quite useful. You may find the names of victims as well as criminals there.