PDA

View Full Version : Impossible man number 1

KiwiChris
19-06-10, 21:39
I have 2 clergy who I can find almost nothing about! Any sightings would be very useful.
The first is Gustavus Adolphus Killger
He was licenced as curate St Paul Bethnal Green 1/6/1874
Licenced as assistant curate Clerkinwell 10/10/1876
Possibly born c1834, place unknown.

kiterunner
19-06-10, 22:13
Ancestry has a Gustav Killger travelling from Amsterdam to New York in 1892, age 60, occupation Missioner. Native country England, last residence St Louis, destination New York.

kiterunner
19-06-10, 22:15
Oh, but then there is an entry in the Boston Passenger Lists for what looks like the same man in 1895 and his occupation is Machinist! I thought Missioner was a variant of Missionary, but maybe not.

Jackie H
19-06-10, 23:51
On the 1881 there is a Gustavus A Killger (transcribed on Ancestry as Gustavous A Killgn) aged 48 born Germany, clergyman, living as a boarder at 65 Union Road, Rotherhithe, Southwark.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=7572&iid=LNDRG11_578_582-0993&fn=Gustavous+A.&ln=Killgn&st=r&ssrc=&pid=20602629

KiwiChris
20-06-10, 02:58
Ooooo! Thanks! :D

Christine in Herts
22-06-10, 19:43
FMP has the Clergy List for 1896, but nothing comes up for that surname - and surname is a mandatory field. It allows "variants" but doesn't seem to allow for wildcards.

Might be worth a quick look tomorrow, if you don't have a sub - so long as you plan your 90 minutes carefully.

Christine

Mary from Italy
23-06-10, 01:46
I suppose you've already seen these two snippets?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&tbs=bks%3A1&q=Gustavus+Killger&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

He was in Australia in 1868, because there's a notice in the SMH saying that if he doesn't come and collect his luggage, it'll be sold:

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13174775?searchTerm=killger

Mary from Italy
23-06-10, 02:10
He was naturalised Australian in 1867:

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexes/searchform.aspx?Table=Naturalisation&Surname=killger&First=%25&Page=

KiwiChris
23-06-10, 08:54
Ooo thanks Mary, that fills him out a bit more. :D

This is part of a project to get the Cable Clerical Index transcribed and online.

The late Ken Cable and his wife Leonie spent many years building up a database of all C of E clergy who served in Australia from earliest times. There is a small group including Leonie Cable who are working to fill out/confirm some family history on them all and get them transcribed from handwritten cards into a form where they can be uploaded to the internet.

I am doing the filling out, and some are easier than others! We are attempting to get parents for the clergyman and his wife.

Mary from Italy
23-06-10, 09:03
Ah, I wondered where you'd got the information about him from. There are a couple of cuttings on the Gale newspaper site with brief details of the appointments you mentioned.

If you have any contacts in Sydney who can visit the archives, I should think his naturalisation record will be useful.

Mary from Italy
23-06-10, 09:07
i had a good look for him in the other censuses, but didn't find him. There was a German guy with a similarish name in 1871, but he was a musician by profession.

I see from the newspaper cuttings that he had a BA - any idea where he got it? He's not in the Oxford or Cambridge alumni databases.

marquette
25-06-10, 02:40
Ah, I wondered where you'd got the information about him from. There are a couple of cuttings on the Gale newspaper site with brief details of the appointments you mentioned.

If you have any contacts in Sydney who can visit the archives, I should think his naturalisation record will be useful.

As the Cole's have several Cof E clergymen, I would be happy to look up his naturalisation at State Records and see what they have.

Di

KiwiChris
25-06-10, 05:41
Di, that would be lovely. Leonie is in Sydney but is in her 80s now and it is not so easy for her to get into these places.

Mary, we have very little detail for him, we have a lot more thanks to you people!

I doubt we will get his parents but at least we have filled out a bit more about him.

Thanks everyone. :D

marquette
25-06-10, 05:56
Okay, I will schedule a trip to State Records as soon as possible. I am thinking perhaps next Tuesday, or a day in the following week (when its school hols), working around my other commitments. I have a long list of things I have been putting off because of fluctuating work.

Mary from Italy
25-06-10, 09:40
I just noticed that Ancestry have naturalisation records on their .au site, but this one doesn't show up - in fact there's nothing for 1867, so I assume they haven't uploaded everything yet.