PDA

View Full Version : Saving an image from Ancestry problem

Margaret in Burton
17-06-10, 19:08
I am trying to save an image i.e census or LMA records to my hard drive. I have done this loads of times in the past but I just can't seem to do it now.

I think I've done it but when I look for it, saved to desktop, it just isn't there. If I try to do it a second time it shows on the save page as the previous one being there, but it isn't.:confused::confused:

Is it a hiccup on Ancestry or is it me?

This is the first time I have tried doing this on my new laptop running Windows 7.

borobabs
17-06-10, 19:13
Oh carnt help you with that as dont have windows 7 but if you want to post the link I will get it and send to you dear;;

Margaret in Burton
17-06-10, 19:18
It's ok Babs as I have FMP as well so can get the census that way. For the LMA records I've just done a screen shot. Just damned annoying as to why I can't do something I've done 100's of times before.

I'll keep trying.

borobabs
17-06-10, 19:19
Ok dear long as you know offer is there

JBee
17-06-10, 19:26
I always print a copy off so that I have a hard copy - then I can scan it back onto my computer.

Margaret in Burton
17-06-10, 19:35
That's something I never do. Used to, then had a sort out a few years back and realised I never looked at them again.

Margaret in Burton
17-06-10, 19:38
The problem is, say I want to send a census image to a contact (this is how I found the problem) I can't because I can't save the image.

Margaret in Burton
17-06-10, 20:18
Well, I've just tried on OH's computer and didn't install the enhanced viewer. It told me to right click and the save picture as..................... which worked. Won't work on mine so I think I need to uninstall the enhanced viewer which I will attemp tomorrow, too tired tonight.

Unless anyone comes up with a solution. It has to be a problem with Windows 7 as everything was fine before then. I will have to try on my old computer which runs XP.

kiterunner
17-06-10, 22:03
There was something like that when I first used Vista; I think it used to save all downloads into temporary files and I had to change something to make it save in the right place but I'm afraid I don't remember the details of it now.

MargaretMarch
17-06-10, 22:11
It's a problem with Windows 7 and I had to add Ancestry to internet Explorer as a safe site using Tools -Internet Options-security- trusted sites and add. Make sure 'require authentication' is not ticked.
If that doesn't work I use Mozilla Firefox which doesn't seem to have the same issue with downloads.
Margaret

Jackie H
17-06-10, 22:19
It's a problem with Windows 7 and I had to add Ancestry to internet Explorer as a safe site using Tools -Internet Options-security- trusted sites and add. Make sure 'require authentication' is not ticked.
If that doesn't work I use Mozilla Firefox which doesn't seem to have the same issue with downloads.
Margaret

That happened to me when I first got Windows 7. Here are the Ancestry instructions about how to do it

http://ancestryuk.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ancestryuk.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5072&p_created=1259790382&p_sid=WdZSvH2k&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9NjU0LDY1NCZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B 2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX 25sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9d2luZG93cyA3IGl tYWdl&p_li=&p_topview=1

Margaret in Burton
18-06-10, 09:30
There was something like that when I first used Vista; I think it used to save all downloads into temporary files and I had to change something to make it save in the right place but I'm afraid I don't remember the details of it now.

Yes, I remember that. Can't remember the solution though.

Margaret

I'll try that, funny how OH's computer is also on Windows 7 and it worked on his. The only difference was that the enhanced viewer isn't installed on that one.

Margaret in Burton
18-06-10, 09:56
Well tried the trusted site thing, still won't save the image where I can find it. It DOES save it as if I try to save it again I can delete the first one by right clicking on it.

Don't get on with Firefox, never have. I tried it but that seemed to have an issue with the enhanced viewer on Ancestry.

I think Kate is right, it's a similar problem to the one experienced on Vista. Wish I could remember the solution.

Only happens on Ancestry though. I can save images from FMP with no problem at all.

Think I'm going to have to try to uninstall the enhanced viewer. I read how to last night, was too sleepy, it looks complicated.

Jackie H
18-06-10, 10:12
Hi Margaret

Have you tried following the instructions in my previous post? You have to make sure you put whichever Ancestry site you use in - if you use Ancestry UK for example, you would need to enter *.ancestry.co.uk (including the asterisk)

Margaret in Burton
18-06-10, 10:23
Hi Margaret

Have you tried following the instructions in my previous post? You have to make sure you put whichever Ancestry site you use in - if you use Ancestry UK for example, you would need to enter *.ancestry.co.uk (including the asterisk)

Hi Jackie

Yes, I tried that and it was still the same. I have disabled protected mode and it's working now.

It is the same problem as in Vista.

Still doesn't explain why I could do it on OH's computer though. Still Windows 7 but only have the basic viewer.
It must be a problem with the enhanced viewer and Windows 7 and Vista.

Jackie H
18-06-10, 10:33
Nothing's ever straightforward is it? Oh well at least its sorted now :)