PDA

View Full Version : My John Thomas Webb

beaglelady
14-06-10, 17:15
Yes!! God does love me afterall!!!:d

I think I've found my John T Webb!!!! Yesssssss

I couldn't find my Mr Webb on any census apart from the 1881 census. He was supposedly born 1848 Great Bolton but I was uncertain of this. I did find a John Thomas Webb b.1857 via TNA in the navy between 1876-1878 - he served on 2 ships. His features were described as hazel eyes, 5ft4, brown hair and letter 'D' as a mark/scar on him. The letter 'D' got me thinking that he was possibly a deserter from the army. So I decided to search the army records on FMP. Lo and behold a John Thomas Webb! A gunner in the Royal Attillery. I've downloaded all the images and have printed it all off, I'm now trying to dechiper everything:confused: Some of it is hard to read. But the letter 'D' is explained because he absconded 26times in total from the army and was trialled and sentenced to imprisonment. There is also a note saying he was underage when he joined up.

I'm pretty sure this is MY J T Webb. He left the army in 1874 and was certified medically unfit. By 1876 I found the same J T Webb in the Navy, the document I downloaded from TNA states his features as exactly the same as the army document - brown hair, hazel eyes etc. Letter 'D' as a mark/scar on him. I think it must be the same man!!!

If anyone has a subscription to FMP do you think you could have a look for me and try and decipher the images. I'm having real difficulty with it.

What do you all think?? Do you think this is my man? Does God love me afterall??:d I've been searching long enough!!

Any suggestions welcomed.
Thanks,
Elaine.

I'm sooooo excited if you hadn't of guessed!!!!

Margaret in Burton
14-06-10, 17:54
I have a sub to FMP

I'll take a look, no promises though of what I can read.

Margaret in Burton
14-06-10, 18:01
Found the army one, can you post a link to the navy one? I can't see it.

One tip, you may be better reading it on the computer than a printed copy. You can zoom in on difficult bits.

beaglelady
14-06-10, 18:04
Ok Margaret thanks for looking. Don't worry about the navy one, I'm now having doubts as I've just found yet another John T Webb who matches the description and he's still living in 1891 mine had died 1890!:mad::mad:

Ohhhh I'm soooo mad, looks like I might be back to the drawing board. Just thought I had finally cracked it then:(:(

Will keep looking, probably until I die!!!!;(

Thanks,
Elaine.

Margaret in Burton
14-06-10, 18:09
You may be better off going though each page and writing down what you find. I find I absorb info better this way.

Sinks into the brain better. :)

beaglelady
14-06-10, 18:25
Thanks Margaret,

Well at least today I found out where my J T Webb is buried. Preston Cemetery. I wouldn't care but I tried asking the woman at the cemetery office months ago if she would do a search for me and she didn't seem to know if she was coming or going! Anyway, today I spoke to a guy who did a thorough search for me and gave me the grave number and other info. So that's one positive at least:)

Just wish I could track my elusive Webb's while they were living:rolleyes:

Elaine.

Margaret in Burton
14-06-10, 18:51
Only you can decide if those military records are him. Go through it slowly and............................................... .......

calm down. LOL:D:D:D

Muggins in Sussex
14-06-10, 18:57
Just to say Good Luck, Elaine!!

Blinky Webbs! - and I am one :d

Joan Webb

kiterunner
14-06-10, 19:03
Glad to hear all that, Elaine. Sorry to say I can't access the images so can't help with deciphering. Unless I manage to load them on Friday night when it's free (during the England match), but I will have a few things of my own to try to load first!

Are you going to go and visit the grave and see if there is a headstone?

beaglelady
14-06-10, 19:04
Well I'm soooo cross with these Webb's (my OH tree!) I think it might call for divorce!!!:d

I thought I had problems with my tree - (I've done loads of research on my lot all from North East area) even found the REAL father of my illegitimate Grt Grandfather! But these Webb's are testing my patience!!:mad:

I'm still mulling over what I've found regarding this J T Webb, things just don't add up!

Thanks folks, from a rather disappointed Webb - another one!!;)

Elaine.

beaglelady
14-06-10, 19:10
Are you going to go and visit the grave and see if there is a headstone?[/QUOTE]

Hi Kiterunner,

I'm like a kid in a toy shop!! I've already been, just couldn't wait to see the headstone and if it gave me any clues. Did it??? NO!!:(

It just mentioned 3 people's names on it and yet there are 8 people buried in the grave! No mention of my J T Webb. I've found the other people's names and I do know about some of them, there are few names I don't recognise but not Webb's!!! It's driving me crazy:eek:

I've got a professional researcher trying to search for J Webb senior and his parents. I just hope he comes up with something otherwise I will be throwing hubby out the door!!!!!!!!!!!!:d

Back to the grindstone!
Elaine.

beaglelady
15-06-10, 18:14
Hi folks,

Just a quick update on my Webb nightmare as it's been named by me:rolleyes:

My researcher has come up with a solution and found a possible family match who lived in Kersley, Bolton, Lancs. I'm in the process of ordering a death certificate for the possible mother of my John T Webb, so fingers crossed. If it's not this family well I'm sticking my Webb file in the dustbin!!!!!!!!;(

Elaine.

Margaret in Burton
15-06-10, 18:33
Elaine

Never ever give up. I've broken down a brick wall that took me 20 years.

Muggins in Sussex
15-06-10, 19:16
Elaine

Never ever give up. I've broken down a brick wall that took me 20 years.

I agree with Margaret, Elaine - my family twig is just like one great big brick wall :d - After 8 years, I still only know for sure the name of one of my grandparents ( my Webbs are "adoptive" family - and yes they certainly are elusive!)

I've got into huge muddles and asked silly questions/questions I've asked before: :o - but people here are very understanding.

I have often thought of giving up, but what stops me is the thought that if I give up, I have no chance of success, but if I carry on plugging away I just may find something.

Sorry if I sound like a patronising old fool! LOL:d - and good luck :)

Finbar
15-06-10, 19:18
http://www.quotegarden.com/perseverance.html ;)

beaglelady
15-06-10, 19:23
Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments I KNOW I will probably keep trying but I just feel like giving up at the moment. As much as people say go onto something else I can't stop thinking about my elusive Webb's. I suppose it could have been worse I could have married a Smith!!!:D

Well watch this space............................ you'll know about it if I find success, everyone will be able to hear me!:d:d

Yes Finbar thanks for that link I get the point!!;)

Will let you know just as soon as I know anything. I won't hold my breath though!

Elaine. x

beaglelady
19-06-10, 14:10
Hi again,

Well I said I wouln't hold my breath, just as well I didn't. I received my death certificate today for Mary Webb, I was hoping her husbands name would have been John and she would have been a soliders wife. In fact, I popped in a note to Bolton Registrars when I applied for the certificate asking if they would send it only if she was a soldiers wife or husbands name was John. They sent if despite my note!:mad: Mary's husband was a Thomas who was a labourer!!

The researcher and I were chasing up a Mary Webb (nee Dawson) who had 3 children one being a John Webb b.1847ish in Kersley, Bolton. We found them in only 2 censuses 1851/61. In fact Mary had died by 1854. See ref no - HO107 pce 2206 fol 124, p.22. Thought they may have been my Webb's but no luck as per usual. I've ran out of ideas now.

Webb file may end up in bin at this rate, I don't know what else to do with it!!;(

I'm not having the best of days today:(

Elaine.