PDA

View Full Version : Baptism entries

Kit
14-06-10, 03:52
I'm looking at FMP baptism records. I have come across 2 entries now where a parent appears to have 2 children baptised, on the same day. One has a real christen name ie Mary but the other one is ? and is the same sex as the other child.

Do you think this means there are 2 children or the name wasn't known originally?

They are pre registration so I can't check FreeBMD or census info to solve it that way.

kiterunner
14-06-10, 07:12
It could be that the entry was transcribed twice, and one transcriber couldn't read the name. Do you want to post up the details in case one of us can find them somewhere else?

Kit
14-06-10, 10:16
Possible Kate. I'm only looking at the transcriptions and not the original registers.

The father is Hanniball Basset in Cornwall. (mother is not mentioned but is Amie nee Harrie)

There is an Amy and ? baptised in 1610 and Hanniball and ? in 1625.

Just had a thought were BTs around then? Could it be the name was unreadable in the register and so a ? is on the BT but a transcriber worked out the name?

kiterunner
14-06-10, 11:10
They are also listed on FamilySearch Record Search, and they also show the entries with no first name. There are different batch numbers for those so it seems likely that it's the same child but in one case the name couldn't be read, but I'll have a look at the other entries for the same family later when I've got time, to see if I can work out what was going on.

kiterunner
14-06-10, 15:22
Okay, cross-referencing against FamilySearch where it shows the film numbers used for each batch and tells you what is on the films, Amy Basset and Hanniball Bassett are from film 916949 which is Transcripts of PR's and BT's, whereas Female Basset and Male Basset are from film 226169 which is the Parish Registers. So one transcriber managed to make out the names but the other one didn't.

Kit
15-06-10, 03:27
So only one child each time. Thanks Kate.

Amy and Hanniball weren't on familysearch when I discovered this family. I also don't know if I could have cross checked like you did.