PDA

View Full Version : Highland Dress

Muggins in Sussex
13-06-10, 06:32
Does anyone have any ideas about this gentleman's costume please? Could it be military dress? And what are the numbers near the botton left corner?
If anyone could give it a bit of a clean, please, that would be lovely too.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o112/djangocrystal/Scannedat13-Jun-104-51AM.jpg

Tilly Mint
13-06-10, 08:28
Joan, it looks like the man standing behind a Mannequin with just his head showing.....i dont think the cap tally's with the uniform :confused:

Muggins in Sussex
13-06-10, 08:31
Joan, it looks like the man standing behind a Mannequin with just his head showing.....i dont think the cap tally's with the uniform :confused:

Oh, I think you might be right, Jacky - LOL :d - I did think his hands looked a bit odd! :d

Tilly Mint
13-06-10, 08:34
I didn't want to mention his hands, Joan, in case he had been in combat and lost them :o:d

Maybe a close up of his cap badge might help identify his Regiment.

maggie_4_7
13-06-10, 08:42
It's an highland dress suit but because its a mono photo you can't tell what tartan it is you'd have to look at the pattern shape but there's tons of tartans. Might be easier to find out the Sporran type.

It looks like a military hair sporran!

Muggins in Sussex
13-06-10, 08:43
Thanks Jackie- it all seems a bit odd - :confused: -- I hadn't thought about him having lost his hands...am off for a think!

Muggins in Sussex
13-06-10, 08:47
It's an highland dress suit but because its a mono photo you can't tell what tartan it is you'd have to look at the pattern shape but there's tons of tartans. Might be easier to find out the Sporran type.

It looks like a military hair sporran!

Thanks Maggie :) -- I'll have a Google - I didn't realise sporrans came in different types :o

maggie_4_7
13-06-10, 09:06
I must admit it does look a bit odd but it might be because the shirt and jacket are ill fitting and the hands do look false but its right up against the stones of the house so I don't know how that person could stand behind comfortably for the photo to be taken.

If you look to the left facing us at the bottom - are those numbers 1 2 and 223 and another building at the left with what looks like a stone pillar from another building!

Do you think that's a real house? or a model you've got me thinking now. Do you know who it is in the photo Joan?

Edit: sorry Joan you'd already mentioned the numbers... I wonder what they are - definitely got me thinking now you don't half have some dodgy photos Joan but it's good I love them :)

samesizedfeet
13-06-10, 09:50
Has he got 3 legs?? Just next to his left leg looks like a 3rd leg in trousers.

maggie_4_7
13-06-10, 10:24

Oh yes it does doesn't it.

Tilly Mint
13-06-10, 10:31

Ohh aye yes :d, i reckon the chap with the face is standing, if somewhat squashed, behind the dummy.....:)

Muggins in Sussex
14-06-10, 05:36
Ohh aye yes :d, i reckon the chap with the face is standing, if somewhat squashed, behind the dummy.....:)

That what it looks like to me, Jacky -

Yes Zoe, I amdoes look like a third leg :d

Maggie I do not know who it is, other than it came from my late MIL's side of the family who hailed from Fife.

It seems a very strange choice of background for the photo :confused:

maggie_4_7
14-06-10, 05:39
It seems a very strange choice of background for the photo :confused:

It wouldn't be for people from Fife :d

Muggins in Sussex
14-06-10, 05:59
It wouldn't be for people from Fife :d

LOL, Maggie :d:d:d

Is that a bird cage in the top right-hand corner? :confused:

maggie_4_7
14-06-10, 06:24
LOL, Maggie :d:d:d

Is that a bird cage in the top right-hand corner? :confused:

Yes it looks like it I was going to mention it yesterday but then thought errrr it can't be a birdcage is that a backdrop? ;(

samesizedfeet
14-06-10, 08:38
I don't think it's a backdrop because of the brick/plasterwork damage above the window and the rose bush goes under the window sill. The rose bush does appear to be growing out of the pot in a strange way though so I'm not sure how natural that is.

Muggins in Sussex
14-06-10, 19:03
Thanks Zoe and Maggie - the more I look at it the wierder it seems :d
On the left, just above the height of the man's elbow, there seems to be a woman in a long dress and a hat.

The whole thing just seems completely bizarre! :confused:

Tilly Mint
14-06-10, 19:42
Thanks Zoe and Maggie - the more I look at it the wierder it seems :d
On the left, just above the height of the man's elbow, there seems to be a woman in a long dress and a hat.

:d:d...Joan, you're freaking me out now :d, she looks to have a pendant around her neck...........gosh, this is a weird one:eek:...oops, i was looking at the stain on his sleeve - this looks like a ladies face...what am i like
I can see the lady you are talking about though!

maggie_4_7
14-06-10, 19:48

I can't see that :confused: I can only see a rope hanging from the wall!

Tilly Mint
14-06-10, 19:50
Maggie, she's just by the steps, by the other building on the left hand side....

Finbar
14-06-10, 20:50
Maggie, she's just by the steps, by the other building on the left hand side....

I think that may be a gatepost or similar, with a finial on top, Jacky.

Muggins in Sussex
15-06-10, 05:06
:d:d...Joan, you're freaking me out now :d, she looks to have a pendant around her neck...........gosh, this is a weird one:eek:...oops, i was looking at the stain on his sleeve - this looks like a ladies face...what am i like
I can see the lady you are talking about though!

Jacky I can't make out the pendant or lady's face - LOL :d

I can't see that :confused: I can only see a rope hanging from the wall!

Maggie it is right on the left hand side of the photo :d

I think that may be a gatepost or similar, with a finial on top, Jacky.

I guess it could be Finbar, as if it is a hat it seems a fairly strange shape! - thanks - - I just had to Google finial :d

maggie_4_7
15-06-10, 05:41
aaah yes I see it now.

Muggins in Sussex
15-06-10, 05:51
LOL Maggie :d - any idea what it is?

maggie_4_7
15-06-10, 06:26
I'm not sure what it is but I don't think it's a person :)

The thing is that building with the pillar is incongruous to the cottage the man is standing in front of isn't it?

Muggins in Sussex
15-06-10, 06:28
Thanks Maggie :)

It's all seems very odd! :confused:

maggie_4_7
15-06-10, 06:29
I love your photos Joan :) there's always a conundrum with them.

Muggins in Sussex
16-06-10, 05:42
I love your photos Joan :) there's always a conundrum with them.
LOL Maggie!! :d - I'm certainly flummoxed by this one!!

Still puzzling over those numbers in the corner :confused:

Finbar
16-06-10, 09:26
It looks as though the whole set up is similar to one of those seaside photographs where the subject poses with their head through a hole in a painted panel. In this case though, a headless mannequin is used.

The rockery behind the mannequin looks a bit dodgy to me, rather like a stage prop (possibly chicken wire and plaster of Paris?) and could possibly be part of the camouflage to conceal the real body and legs of the person posing.

Could the numbers be a reference for the photographer, to identify different clients?

Merry
16-06-10, 20:45
Isn't that Dr Who's tardis on the left??! :rolleyes:

Muggins in Sussex
17-06-10, 05:47
It looks as though the whole set up is similar to one of those seaside photographs where the subject poses with their head through a hole in a painted panel. In this case though, a headless mannequin is used.

The rockery behind the mannequin looks a bit dodgy to me, rather like a stage prop (possibly chicken wire and plaster of Paris?) and could possibly be part of the camouflage to conceal the real body and legs of the person posing.

Could the numbers be a reference for the photographer, to identify different clients?

Thanks Finbar - Yes, the rockery/rubble does look artificial Do you think the cottage is real or a photograher's backdrop? - It seems an odd background for a chap in such splendid regalia - unless it is his house (?)

Yes, that could explain the numbers.

Isn't that Dr Who's tardis on the left??! :rolleyes:

RAOTFL, Merry!! - Now you come to mention it...that's just what it looks like :d

maggie_4_7
17-06-10, 06:40
I thought the tardis was a police phonebox!

Look at this link and the ninth photo down of the younger woman sitting in a chair and look at the backdrop.

http://www.fifefhs.org/Photos/photoquery.htm

Muggins in Sussex
18-06-10, 05:37
Look at this link and the ninth photo down of the younger woman sitting in a chair and look at the backdrop.

http://www.fifefhs.org/Photos/photoquery.htm

Oh yes Maggie! :) That looks like the building with the pillars :) - Thank you :)- and it fits in with the Fife connection

Jus remembered I think there is a website about old Fife photographers - I have a look when I get back from work

maggie_4_7
19-06-10, 11:30
I just thought it looked similar.

I think we can deduce that the only real thing in your photo is his face and hat then... :d

Don't they make you mad these photos Joan and you have no idea who it is? I don't suppose anyone can make that badge out on his cap!

Muggins in Sussex
19-06-10, 11:50
I think we can deduce that the only real thing in your photo is his face and hat then... :d

LOL Maggie :d - and also what is probably part of a leg!:d

Rachel
25-06-10, 14:45
If anyone could give it a bit of a clean, please, that would be lovely too.

2 versions from me

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/rachelscand/Joan13-Jun-sepiaweb.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/rachelscand/Joan13-Jun-web.jpg

Muggins in Sussex
25-06-10, 15:00
Oooh Rachel - that's lovely - :) thank you :)

Somehow the clothing now looks "real" - as if the dummy is just the body inside real clothing - if that makes sense :confused:

maggie_4_7
25-06-10, 15:07
Oooh Rachel - that's lovely - :) thank you :)

Somehow the clothing now looks "real" - as if the dummy is just the body inside real clothing - if that makes sense :confused:

I think the clothing is real but now you can see the blokey isn't wearing it it's the 'dummy' wearing it. But it's the rest of the photo too that is a mystery.

Muggins in Sussex
25-06-10, 15:12
Thanks Maggie!! :) Yes, that's what it looks like - but why??? -I mean why not just dress the man in the clothing ?? :confused:

Now I think I can see a bird in the birdcage!!

Rachel
25-06-10, 15:40
Hmmmm ... well I had hoped to find a little more of the real trousers/shoes but they just weren't clear enough to pull out.
Also, the bird cage ~ a confusion ~ can't get a clear idea of what's going on

Muggins in Sussex
25-06-10, 15:45
I was just loking at that part Rachel - is it just me or has he/it got odd shoes on ? :confused:

Rachel
25-06-10, 18:55
I was just loking at that part Rachel - is it just me or has he/it got odd shoes on ? :confused:

The shoes with buckles look to be the same, although the one on the right appears larger ~ probably because his leg/foot is slightly nearer the camera ..... hmmmmmmm ..... don't know about the sort of lenses used at that time and if they might have that much of an effect :confused:

Finbar
25-06-10, 19:41
I think it might be the light catching the left shoe buckle, and the foot being inclined outwards which gives that effect.

If they were odd shoes, I bet the dummy ended up with bunions. ;)

Muggins in Sussex
26-06-10, 08:29
The shoes with buckles look to be the same, although the one on the right appears larger ~ probably because his leg/foot is slightly nearer the camera ..... hmmmmmmm ..... don't know about the sort of lenses used at that time and if they might have that much of an effect :confused:

I think it might be the light catching the left shoe buckle, and the foot being inclined outwards which gives that effect.

If they were odd shoes, I bet the dummy ended up with bunions. ;)

Thanks Rachel and Finbar -I guess you are both right - LOL Finbar!! :d

The thing just seems plain wierd! :confused: