PDA

View Full Version : Jackson of Heptonstall

ElizabethHerts
12-06-10, 17:26
I'm trying to sort out my Jackson line.

I'm definitely descended from Isaac Jackson who was baptised in Heptonstall on 15 Jan 1797. His parents are given as Thomas and Betty Jackson.

Isaac married Betty Pollard in 1819 and they settled in Skircoat, but took most of their children to Heptonstall for baptism.

I have used the IGI to come up with the following children of Thomas and Betty:

Betty christened 22 January 1790 Heptonstall
Henry christened 13 January 1794 Heptonstall

I'm very interested in Henry as I'm trying to track him down. Interestingly, Isaac's first born was Henry Jackson, and he is my 2xgreat grandfather.

The only Henry I can find is the following:

Henry Jackson, schoolmaster at Heptonstall.
Henry Jackson married Grace Charnock, the daughter of Rev. Joseph Charnock of Heptonstall.
Groom's Name: Henry Jackson
Bride's Name: Grace Charnock
Marriage Date: 06 Jun 1820
Marriage Place: West Yorkshire, England
Bride's Marital Status: Single
1820 Jun-06 Henry Heptonstall schoolmaster Grace Charnock Heptonstall by licence

I can find two children, Henry Bates Jackson, christened 8th Jan 1826. He married Eleanor in Marylebone and was a clerk at the War Office.

The second child was Hannah Charnock Jackson, who was christened on 13th October 1836. Sadly she only survived for 4 weeks and her burial in on the NBI 3 - 12th November 1836 Heptonstall.

Henry Jackson just made it to the 1841 Census. He is recorded there with his wife Grace and no children. His burial is given on NBI 3 as 12th June 1841 at Heptonstall, aged 48.

As I say, I don't know whether this Henry is the brother of my Isaac. At first (last year) I dismissed this but now I am trying to re-examine the evidence. As Henry was 48 at death in 1841, this gives a birth year of 1793 which is just right for Isaac's brother. However, I always thought that Isaac came from humble beginnings, which is why I dismissed the idea of him being connected with Henry Jackson schoolteacher.

I have also tried to find the marriage of Isaac, Henry and Betty Jackson's parents - Thomas and Betty. The only one I have found is this marriage in Heptonstall:

1778 Dec-27 Thomas otp webster Betty Jackson otp by licence
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~todmordenandwalsden/jacksonmarriageshept.htm

It is interesting that this mariage is by licence.
However, there is a gap of 12 years before the birth of Betty.

Back to Grace Charnock/Jackson.
Henry Jackson appears to have died in 1841.
A Grace Jackson married William Roper in Dec qr 1848 in Halifax.
From 19th century online newspapers I have found a death announcement in 1877:

"Grace Roper last surviving child of the late Rev. Joseph Charnock died 18th April at Southport aged 83".

As far as I can see, my best hope is of finding the marriage licence for Grace and Henry Jackson, if it survives.

Any comments gratefully received!

I just wonder if there is a totally different Henry Jackson somewhere.

Sorry for the long post!:o

kiterunner
12-06-10, 17:45
Have you looked to see if any of them left wills, Elizabeth? Also if you can get the witnesses' names from the various marriages it might help.

ElizabethHerts
12-06-10, 18:00
Kiterunner, the Rev. Joseph Charnock died in 1850 and left a will

1850 Charnock, Joseph Rev Heptonstall QB 647 984

I don't know how I would get it, however.

kiterunner
12-06-10, 18:09
I think it would either be at the Borthwick Institute or whatever the local record office is for Heptonstall, but I don't suppose it would say who Henry's parents were anyway.

rachelagourakis
03-09-10, 16:27
I have Rev Joseph Charnock in my family tree and am related to him through his daughter Martha (sister to Grace). Interestingly Martha named two of her children James Charnock Sugden and Robert Bates Sugden (Charnock her father's name and Bates her mother's maiden name!). Grace named her children in a similar way! Robert Bates is my great great grandfather. I have a copy of Joseph's Charnock's will and although Robert Bates is mentioned by name, Grace's children are not, except to say that Grace and her son inherited (her daughter having died at a young age). Please contact me if you would like more information! Rachel

ElizabethHerts
06-09-10, 06:40
Hi Rachel, and welcome to Genealogists' Forum!

I have been away for a few days and I'm just catching up with what has been happening here.

I'm really interested to hear of your Charnock connection. I'll refresh my memory of this side of my tree and I'll send you a pm. :)

rachelagourakis
06-09-10, 10:18
Thanks Elizabeth - I look forward to hearing from you!!

ElizabethHerts
09-09-10, 09:02
:)Rachel - I have sent you an e-mail this morning!

Can you access the e-mail address of Malcolm Bull from Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion - it won't open for me.

rachelagourakis
09-09-10, 14:28
Elizabeth - I have sent another email with attachment! Did the email addres for Malcolm Bull work? Regards Rachel