PDA

View Full Version : Radulphus Gee 1612

garstonite
08-09-09, 10:11
Good morning....on reading a marriage on Cheshire Parish Records in 1612 I found the name Radulphus ....am I right in presuming this name is now known as Ralph ?...or is it Randolph ?....just very curious....allan:confused:

kiterunner
08-09-09, 10:15
Presumably the parish register was in Latin, so he wouldn't actually have been known as Radulphus; that was just the Latin version of his name.

According to the site linked to below, Radulphus was the Latin for Ralph but Randulphus was the Latin for Randolph, except in Shropshire and Cheshire where it meant Randall. Was yours definitely a Radulphus or could it be a Randulphus?

http://www.british-genealogy.com/resources/registers/registers/latinnames.htm

garstonite
08-09-09, 10:16
It`s Ok ...just googled Radulphus....a 13th Century Bishop from Brechin Scotland...quote "quite simply Ralph"....problem solved....thanks ...allan;)
ADDED....thanks Kiterunner....googled as you were posting....wonder what happened to him during the Civil War ...he would have been about 60 then......allan
ADDEDagain....lol....he died in 1662.....which means he was married 50 years....that`s some feat in those days....allan

Olde Crone
08-09-09, 23:15
Allan

Be careful! I have a continuous line of father/son Randolph/Radulph/Ralphs - the one who died in 1662 may not have been the one who married in 1612!

OC

garstonite
09-09-09, 07:50
Thankyou OC....AFTER DOUBLE CHECKING it looks like the same man married in 1629 as well........thanx again...allan:)