PDA

View Full Version : Affidavit Brought?

Sue from Southend
10-06-10, 21:17
I've been looking through the Shepperton parish registers on the Ancestry LMA records. The burial register for 1678-1783 has, after each date and name, the words "Affidavit brought". I've never come across this before (but then I've not looked at many parish records this old) I assume that someone (?) had to provide proof of something (?) but who, what and why? Can anyone enlighten me?

Finbar
10-06-10, 21:22
Could it be the 'Burial in wool' law?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burying_in_Woollen_Acts

Sue from Southend
10-06-10, 21:36
Oh well done Finbar! It certainly looks likely, although I must admit to have never having heard of of this very strange law!

Thanks for clearing this up for me:)

Finbar
10-06-10, 22:51
Glad to help, Sue. :)

samesizedfeet
10-06-10, 23:06
OOOh - very timely question as it explains why the burials I just looked at had the abbreviation "Aff Bt" next to them.

Finbar
10-06-10, 23:16
Point of interest - During the 1960's my old local pub in UpHolland, Lancashire, was modernised, and during building work a bundle of old documents was found in the roof space.

These were woollen burial affidavits, dating back to the early 18th century, and copies of them can still be seen hanging on the pub wall.

Interestingly, the parish church graveyard is on the other side of the pub car park wall.

Sue from Southend
11-06-10, 10:00
I've Googled the the Act and apparently if the original affidavit survives they can provide useful genealogical information!

Off to check the LMA website!!

ElizabethHerts
12-06-10, 07:43
According to "Ancestral Trails", in some parishes the affidavits were copied into registers and these may survive even if the original affidavits have not.