PDA

View Full Version : Harry Lewis

Olde Crone
06-06-10, 19:10
Harry Lewis, born 27 March 1864, Pott shrigley Cheshire, was one of the 13 children of George Lewis and Hannah Trafford.

I followed Harry Lewis, who was with his parents in 1871 and 1881. In 1891 I identified him as being married to Mary unknown and living at 227 Clough Lee, Marsden, Yorks, with children Arthur and Ann. (The whole Lewis clan moved to Marsden round about 1879).

However, a contact has just surfaced, who is a descendant of George Lewis. He states that Harry Lewis died as a young man, being kicked by a horse. He never married. the information comes from a grave in Pott Shrigley churchyard (?).

I cannot find a suitable death for Harry Lewis, young man, after 1881. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have saved the images for the census in 1891 and 1901 (blush blush) and I no longer have access to ancestry. I am not sure now that I have the correct Harry Lewis, could sks please take a look for me and see if they can find another Harry Lewis who could be the one in 1891 and 1901?

Phew, I hope that makes sense....!

(Why I'm a bit suspicious.....Hannah Trafford had a brother ALFRED TRAFFORD, who was kicked to death by a horse. Seems a bit odd that she should have a brother AND a son kicked to death by a horse....)

OC

samesizedfeet
06-06-10, 19:44
for anyone helping this is 1891

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=6598&iid=WRYRG12_3553_3555-0165&fn=Harry&ln=Lewis&st=r&ssrc=&pid=26804863

Harry (born Macclesfield) , wife Mary and child Arthur aged 3 (born Marsden)

samesizedfeet
06-06-10, 19:52
I can't see another alternative with a birthplace of Cheshire.

There's none born Macclesfield at all and the only other of a near age is born Altrincham but he appears with his own wife in 1881

Margaret in Burton
06-06-10, 19:59
The only death in Lancashire that fits the age at birth is in Liverpool.

Although it's a Harris Lewis

Death June qtr 1881 aged 18
Liverpool 8b 128

Nell
06-06-10, 20:01
OC

I've got lots of instances of people being kicked by horses, although none were kicked to death. I think being injured by horses was the equivalent of a road traffic accident today. My gt aunt was knocked over and killed by a runaway horse.

Margaret in Burton
06-06-10, 20:02
Nothing showing on the NBI

Olde Crone
06-06-10, 20:02
Zoe

Thankyou for looking. It is weird, isn't it.

I think my informant has the wrong Harry. The extended Lewis family was huge and I am sure it was a different Harry who is buried at Pott Shrigley.

I will ask my informant if he can give me a date of death from the gravestone. He hasn't been very forth-coming so far (he's 85, bless him) and I don't want him to think I'm a fault finding nitpicker, pmsl, especially as he has sent me a photo of my Trafford rellies, which I could never have hoped to see in a million years!

OC

Margaret in Burton
06-06-10, 20:06
Nothing either on Cheshire and Lancs BMD, or the BMD on Ancestry

Olde Crone
06-06-10, 20:13
Thanks everyone. I am going to have to challenge his information!

The other possibility which has just occurred to me, lol, and not to my informant at all obviously - many of Harry's siblings emigrated to Canada, wonder if Harry did and was kicked to death out there and just remarked on the gravestone in Pott Shrigley.

OC

Margaret in Burton
06-06-10, 20:20
Thanks everyone. I am going to have to challenge his information!

The other possibility which has just occurred to me, lol, and not to my informant at all obviously - many of Harry's siblings emigrated to Canada, wonder if Harry did and was kicked to death out there and just remarked on the gravestone in Pott Shrigley.

OC

Very good point OC

Ask your contact when and where Harry died as you want to get the death cert and you can't find the ref

Olde Crone
06-06-10, 20:24
Ho hum, I've had a fiddle with the 1911 and I think I have found wife Mary with son |Arthur, but no Harry. That being so, there is a death for Harry Lewis in 1910, aged 45, Huddersfield (the district for Marsden) which would fit nicely with Harry's birth in 1864.

Margaret

That's a good idea, thanks, I'll do that!

OC

Margaret in Burton
06-06-10, 20:27
Ho hum, I've had a fiddle with the 1911 and I think I have found wife Mary with son |Arthur, but no Harry. That being so, there is a death for Harry Lewis in 1910, aged 45, Huddersfield (the district for Marsden) which would fit nicely with Harry's birth in 1864.

Margaret

That's a good idea, thanks, I'll do that!

OC

Where do you believe they are in 1911, I'll look at it

Olde Crone
06-06-10, 20:44
Margaret

They are in Huddersfield. I searched for Mary Lewis born 1864 +- 10 years, with an Arthur in the household. There was only one hit.

Thankyou!

OC

Merry
06-06-10, 20:50
I don't want him to think I'm a fault finding nitpicker, pmsl

:d:d:d:d:d:d

Margaret in Burton
06-06-10, 20:57
I'm getting two hits. One a Mary and the other a Mary Hannah,

Not sure of your email addy these days OC

PM me

Margaret in Burton
06-06-10, 21:12
Going to bed OC, catch up tomorrow

Olde Crone
06-06-10, 21:25
Sorry, I nipped off to watch the news.

Thanks Margaret, it's not Mary Hannah (well, I don't think so, lol).

I will pm you my new "safe" email addy, lol. Thankyou again.

OC

Olde Crone
06-06-10, 21:58
Oooohhhh......I think I might be right and my contact might be wrong! *Smirks modestly*

According to me, Harry Lewis married Mary Unknown, who might have been Mary Holroyd (June 1884, Huddersfield 9a 484)

Harry's brother Fred Lewis married Alice Pinder. They had, amongst others, a daughter they named Dorothy HOLROYD Lewis...coincidence, or what?

OC

kiterunner
06-06-10, 22:22
FamilySearch Record Search has that marriage, and confirms that Harry's father was George. Harry's age is given as 21, marriage date 3 Jun 1884 at Marsden, so it seems to fit quite well, doesn't it?

Olde Crone
07-06-10, 08:17
Oooh, thankyou for that, Kate, I never gave Family Search a thought for this as it seemed too late to be on FS.

So, it's looking good. Now to find out who the Harry Lewis was who died....

OC

Margaret in Burton
07-06-10, 09:38
email address received OC and image sent

Olde Crone
07-06-10, 12:59
Image safely received, thankyou Margaret.

~(I keep trying to post this message and promptly lose my internet connection, grrr)

OC