PDA

View Full Version : More Marsden Misery!

Nell
06-06-10, 00:04
Got excited when I tied in Priscilla Marsden's sister Sarah Marsden to Frederick Marsden, as she witnessed his marriage under her first married name Sarah Muir and her address on her 2nd marriage is the same as Frederick's in 1841.

But still don't know how Frederick is related to Priscilla and Sarah. I just know that in 1841 Priscilla's daughter Jane is staying with him.

So I turned to Charles Marsden, who is also linked as Priscilla's daughter, another Priscilla, is with Charles in 1841. Charles also witnesses Priscilla's daughter Jane's marriage.

Found Charles' marriage to a Harriet Kupkay. One of the witnesses is Elizabeth Kupky. But I can't find any other instances of this family. Harriet's birthplace on censuses is Strand/Strand St. Dunstan's abt 1800-1812.

samesizedfeet
06-06-10, 00:18
Elizabeth Ann Cupkay married Henry Goddard on 9th November 1834

witnesses are two people called Tarrant = possibly James MArk and Sophia Martha, really hard handwriting.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1623&iid=31280_194974-00167&fn=Elizabeth+Ann&ln=Cupkay&st=r&ssrc=&pid=6090740

And to confuse things further her signature looks like it says Crupkay

samesizedfeet
06-06-10, 00:38
Try Kupke and Kupky also

There's a marriage between a Henry Kuphe and A Harriet Billingsley in 1801 on LMA which could be parents for you

Nell
06-06-10, 10:05
Zoe

Thank you again, I will be investigating. Nothing about these Marsdens and their spouses is straightforward!

Nell
07-02-11, 20:44
Found John Robins, son of James Robins and Priscilla nee Marsden, married an Elizabeth Marsden. Bound to be connected as there is so much intermarrying in this lot.

So I thought I'd work back and get Elizabeth's birth - well she's very helpful about her birthplace:

1861 she says Marylebone 1838
1871 she says St Luke 1833
1881, now widowed, she says 1833

It's not as though Marylebone, St. Luke and Soho are the same area!

Her marriage cert says her father is deceased (of course) James Marsden, paper stainer, which is what James Robins did for a while too. Of course I can't find a baptism!

And even more typical, she's on 1851 as born 1833 Marylebone, nice combination of the following censuses, as a "visitor"! No sign of her in 1841!

Uncle John
07-02-11, 21:11
Try Kupke and Kupky also

There's a marriage between a Henry Kuphe and A Harriet Billingsley in 1801 on LMA which could be parents for you

Officer Krupke from West Side Story is a bit too late.

Nell
08-02-11, 18:01
Lol, UJ!

Thanks for that.

This lot are driving me bats! I have so many Marsdens who witness eachother's marriages or stay with eachother on census night but can't see how they are connected.

Cupcakes or fruitcakes?!

Nell
08-02-11, 18:19
UJ!

Just checked the 1801 marriage and who is getting married a day later? None other than a Harriet Marsden! Arrghh!!

Nell
08-02-11, 18:37
There's a 55 year old Harriet Kupky in the Strand Union Workhouse in 1841. No idea how she fits in - and of course I've found a baptism for Harriet Kupke which is fab, but it can't be the one who married Charles Marsden as she was bapt 1826 and born 1823, so would only have been 10 at the time of marriage!

Beguilingly, there's a Pallot marriage index slip with just John Kupky on it and Marylebone. No place, date or spouse!

Don't you just love this hobby?!

tenterfieldjulie
09-02-11, 21:06
:D:D:D Sure beats insanity, or does it? lol

Nell
11-02-11, 20:25
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, Julie!

The bit that really drives me bonkers is that the Marsdens and their descendants were very keen on marrying into the same families, but I keep finding witnesses with the relevant surnames but unfamiliar first names who only appear as witnesses, no other trace of them. Bizarre!