PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have the full Ancestry please

Sally
07-09-09, 20:04
I'm sorry but it's my wretched Phoebe Downing again!
I just wondered if I could rule out the possibility of her emmigrating to America - if anyone has the worldwide subscription and has the time to look, she was born in Chester le Street, Durham, in 1831 and if she DID go to America then it would have been between 1851 and 1861.

Mary from Italy
07-09-09, 20:39
Yes, a Phoebe Downing aged 22 emigrated on a ship called the Wyoming, which departed from Liverpool and arrived in Philadelphia on 13 June 1853.

There's not much information on the image. She seems to have been travelling with Geo. Downing, aged 25, joiner. Both born in England.

Merry
07-09-09, 20:56
*feels suicidal and asks for about two hours of my life back* lol :d

Mary from Italy
07-09-09, 21:10
:) Do we know if she had a brother George?

Mary from Italy
07-09-09, 21:12
Oh yes, just looked at the 1851 UK census, and there's a nephew George who was a joiner!

Can't find either of them in the US censuses, though.

kiterunner
07-09-09, 21:53
I expect Phoebe might have married by the time the next census came round, but of course lots of US marriages aren't online.

Sally
08-09-09, 19:51
Oooooh, just come back on.........thank you so much Mary, that gives me some hope. She did indeed have a brother called George, but will have to look to see about a nephew. He was born 1828 in Chester le Street, and oddly enough disappears after 1851!!

This is exciting isn't it Merry???!!!!!

HUGE thank yous to you all

quick addition....just checked and her brother George was a joiner so Mary, you found them. Now all we have to do is give Merry back the will to live!!!

Mary from Italy
08-09-09, 21:34
* Fans Merry * :)

As Kate says, she probably married, but it's a bit hit and miss finding US marriages online.

Apparently the new FamilySearch site has Philadelphia marriages 1885-1951 - that's a bit late, but it might be worth bookmarking in case they add earlier marriages.

Of course she could have moved on to another state.

Sally
09-09-09, 19:55
*clears throat nervously

Um, Mary if you look in please could you double check that the name of the ship that Phoebe and George sailed from Liverpool on in 1853 was "Wyoming". I am having a spot of bother because there doesn't seem to be any passenger ship by that name until 1870. Even the ship experts on the shipsnostalgia website have come up with nothing........this is just flipping typical of my lot :confused:

Joan of Archives
09-09-09, 20:04
Evening Sally :)

I will have a look for you when Ancestry is back up & running...I seem to have broken it lol :d:rolleyes:

Joan of Archives
09-09-09, 20:06
Yes it definitely says Wyoming Sally :)

I'll pm you ;)

Sally
09-09-09, 20:12
tut!!! Thank you Joanie

(that tut was for breaking ancestry, not for emailing me!).

Mary from Italy
09-09-09, 21:26
Just checked again - it says Wyoming on the transcription, and I think that's what it says on the image too. Only the first letter is unclear - it could be Nyoming, but I don't think so.

The master was AM Dunleavy, and the ship was owned by H (?) & A Cope & Co. of Philadelphia. Burthen 884 8/95 tons.

Uncle John
09-09-09, 21:32
I interpret the burthen (weight of cargo) is 884 tons 8 hundredweight and 95 pounds.

Mary from Italy
09-09-09, 21:38
A passenger list for another voyage by the same ship and master:

http://www.immigrantships.net/v6/1800v6/wyoming18540227.html

More about the Wyoming:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?p=357700

Edit: just realised that the shipsnostalgia thread is probably yours :)

Mary from Italy
09-09-09, 21:49
H and A Cope:

http://www.pennock.ws/surnames/nti/nti59609.html

Mary from Italy
09-09-09, 21:57
... on the 22nd of August in 1848 we have the Packet Ship Wyoming coming into Philadelphia ... The Packet ship was one of many that were now making the crossing from Liverpool to the New World. The Philadelphia Line was started by Thomas P. Cope as far back as 1807 and Cope provided a monthly service and his line
lasted for about half a century. The rate for a cabin passage was about 20 pounds.

http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/read/BRANSON/2004-10/1096731869

Sally
10-09-09, 18:06
Oh thank you everybody (and I will go and look at my thread on Shipsnostaliga - yes it's mine Mary! and well done you for transcribing the name of the shipping company because I was struggling a bit).

Uncle John - that makes it a tiny ship to go so far doesn't it. I bet the passengers were more than a little poorly on the trip over, which must have taken ages.

Joan of Archives
10-09-09, 19:45
Oh thank you everybody (and I will go and look at my thread on Shipsnostaliga - yes it's mine Mary! and well done you for transcribing the name of the shipping company because I was struggling a bit).

Uncle John - that makes it a tiny ship to go so far doesn't it. I bet the passengers were more than a little poorly on the trip over, which must have taken ages.

My 3 x great grandfather had a ship built that was a 45-50 tonner so really it was a dinghy then? :d

Sally
10-09-09, 19:47
Hah Joanie!! It may have been a lovely boat, but he wouldn't have got many passengers across to America in it, unless he packed them in like sardines. What sort was it, and what happened to it? (I am getting into ships now, and may well turn into an anorak)

Sally
11-09-09, 19:57
smee again!!

Don't panic anyone, but I just thought that I would end the thread with what I have discovered since you kind people helped me to find Phoebe (and her brother George) aboard the Wyoming enroute to Philadelphia in 1853.

The ship, although very small, was comparatively high class and conditions were therefore not as horrific as on some lines; also a new law passed the previous year meant that passengers no longer had to bring and cook their own food. However, 1853 was just about the worst year possible to cross the Atlantic due to a massive outbreak of Cholera and there was a huge number of deaths on the ships, plus many more who had contracted the disease by the time that they arrived at America. Typhoid and Consumption were also rife.

Quarantine was very strict, and there was a station above 8 miles south of Philadelphia called Lazaretto into which any passenger who was deemed to be ill in any shape or form was plonked. They either lived or died.......they WERE looked after, but not excessively so, and actually most inmates died and are still buried there to this day.

Another tiny problem which Phoebe would have faced, is that on the whole single women were not accepted into Philadelphia, and so hasty unions were made between single passengers on the docks......whether they liked each other or not!!

Soooooooooo, the fact that neither Phoebe nor George seem to be around on the next census could be for one or two reasons.
l. They both died on board ship being victims of the massive Cholera epidemic, or perhaps Consumption bearing in mind that most of their family back home died of that disease in the years leading up to their emigration.
2. They made it to the quarantine station, but were ill on arrival and died there.
3. Phoebe had to hastily marry one of the other passengers, and George alone died.

Sigh.

kiterunner
11-09-09, 21:58
Isn't that horrible; I never knew about all that, Sally.

It could be that they were there somewhere in 1860 but not listed on the census for some reason or mistranscribed, though.

Sally
11-09-09, 22:05
Possibly Kite, and I do hope so. I will keep looking.

I do love family history research......you find out so much of interest that you would never normally come across

Mary from Italy
12-09-09, 14:38
Lazaretto (from Lazarus) is the Italian word for a leper colony. The word was later used to mean a quarantine station.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazaretto