PDA

View Full Version : Help with reading a Will

samesizedfeet
31-05-10, 22:28
Will of Henry Jackman in which he names his daughters with their married surnames. I can't read Sophia's surname

To help with handwriting what I have for rest of document is:

"My sons Henry, Charles and George Jackman and to my daughters Eliza Fenton, Caroline Hartley, Frances Partleton, Sophia ?????? and Louisa Jackman and to be divided in equal parts to each of the above
In witness whereof I the said Henry jackman the testator have to this my last will and testament contained on this sheet of paper set my hand and seal thhis twenty eighth day of April in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and fifty one."

WILL : 109

Thank you

Zoe

kiterunner
31-05-10, 22:31
I would say Hariota but I don't know if there is such a surname!

samesizedfeet
31-05-10, 22:36
Aaaaargh - just realised.

I'm a dunce.

he's naming his unmarried daughters; Sophia, Harriet and Louisa Jackman.

I've spent about an hour squinting at that.

Curses to old Wills and their lack of punctuation. When I build a time machine I'm sending Gwynne back to get them all.

Kit
31-05-10, 23:55
Curses to old Wills and their lack of punctuation. When I build a time machine I'm sending Gwynne back to get them all.

How good is Gwynne's handwriting?

If it's not good send someone with her to teach them some easy to read writing.

HarrysMum
01-06-10, 06:25
Ooooh!!! A Fenton. Off to check what I've got......lol

samesizedfeet
01-06-10, 09:35
Do you have Fenton's Libby? Brilliant.

Mine wander a bit though as they're mainly actors. I'm as far back as a James Fenton and Caroline Godwin having a son called Henry John Fenton in Barnard Castle, Durham in 1808. I can't see any others children though so I suspect that they're not really from there and just happened to be passing through.

Henry John married Eliza Jackman in 1829 and they had:

Charles Henry abt 1836 (Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire)
Caroline Harriet 1841 (Coventry, Warwickshire)
Ellen ELizabeth 1843 (Tenby, Wales)
ose Frances 1846 (Aberystwyth, Wales)
Violet 1847 (Llanelly, Wales)
Edward Frederick 1850 (Gloucestershire)
William George 1853 (Holbeach, Lincolnshire)

Yours hopefully :)

Z
x

HarrysMum
01-06-10, 10:10
Zoe......the Fenton I have is Thomas Fenton a 'gentleman bachelor' who marries Mary Kirkby in 1802 at Hawkshead.

I have no idea where he came from or where they go to. Thomas is dead by 1815 as Mary's mother's will says Mary is a widow. No idea if there are any children.

Probably no help to you at all......

Joan of Archives
01-06-10, 19:36
Zoe I've just spent the day photographing wills where the writing was almost exactly the same as this lol! :rolleyes:

samesizedfeet
01-06-10, 22:48
Well if you want help transcribing I'm normally very very good at them (the word Harriet obviously being my one downfall)