PDA

View Full Version : Where do you look for more info?

HarrysMum
31-05-10, 08:58
I've had a bit of a break from my tree as I really can't see how to get back further with any certainty.

I'd love to find out about where the families lived. I know Genuki and Google but I was wondering if it's possible to find actual houses (if they still exist).

I found a bit in a Google Book about David Kirkby's house at Coniston Waterhead. Now I know he belongs. The Kirkbys, Sawreys and Adisons had homes all over that area (according to their wills), but the places are hard to find.

There is Holin Bancke, which I think may have become Holinbank.

Then there's the lovely Harry Field and Dixon Ground in Church Coniston in the parish of Ulverston.

Knotthouse in Grassmere.
Yewdale in Church Coniston.
Hannikin in Hawkshead.
They are all in Lancashire (or were).

Also........these wills have mentioned grandchildren, but I don't know how to find them.

The wills are from 1743 and 1814.

Thanks.

kiterunner
31-05-10, 09:00
Also........these wills have mentioned grandchildren, but I don't know how to find them.

Post up the details and we'll have a try!

kiterunner
31-05-10, 09:01
As for the houses, have you tried searching on A2A and in the 19th century British newspapers collection for any mention of them?

kiterunner
31-05-10, 09:04
Knotthouse looks likely to be Knott House Farm, Grasmere. If you Google that you will get a few matches, including details of a painting, but unfortunately it says "no image available" for the painting.

kiterunner
31-05-10, 09:06
Aha! Hope this link works:

http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/Details/Default.aspx?id=452102&mode=quick

kiterunner
31-05-10, 09:11
There seems to be a High Yewdale Farm and a Low Yewdale, so I'm not sure which is the one you're looking for:

http://www.grahamspeller.co.uk/watercolours/14182_high-yewdale-farm-cumbria.html

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/32759

Jill
31-05-10, 09:13
there's a Hannakin Howe B&B in Hawskhead...

kiterunner
31-05-10, 09:17
Hannikin seems to be a variant of Hannakin, but I haven't managed to work out exactly which house as searching for Hannakin comes up with a few.

HarrysMum
31-05-10, 09:18
Thanks.....I'll take a look. A2a doesn't like me or maybe I have no idea how to use it....lol

The names on the will of Hugh Addison, written 1742. He died 1743.

His wife, Jane. Can't find a certain marriage.

His daughter, Agnes Kirkby and her children Jane and David. They are OH's line. Jane was baptised 1728 and from all accounts David was born 1730 but I've never found his baptism.

Hugh also leaves money to his grandson, Edward Addison of London. No idea where he comes from.

Also he leaves money to his grand daughters, Sara, Ann, Agnes and Mary Addison. I don't know if they are Edward's sisters or where they live.

kiterunner
31-05-10, 09:21
There was a Hollin Bank Farm in Coniston but I haven't managed to find an image yet. There is also a Hollin Bank Cottage (and a barn conversion).

HarrysMum
31-05-10, 09:24
Oooh Kite....that second link you gave me (photo/72359) has a map. I cloicked on the map and there are a lot of places I wanted.
Do you know how to get just the map????

kiterunner
31-05-10, 09:26
Dixon Ground:

http://search.visitbritain.com/en-IN/Details.aspx?ContentID=780491

kiterunner
31-05-10, 09:29
This is a link to the map but I just got it by clicking on it?
http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm?mapAction=gaz&gazName=g&gazString=SD311991

Kit
31-05-10, 09:30
A2a doesn't like me or maybe I have no idea how to use it....lol

You are not alone there Libby.

kiterunner
31-05-10, 09:31
And Harry Field has me stumped - was it definitely a house, or could it have just been a field?

HarrysMum
31-05-10, 09:39
Not sure......just says 'property'. There is a Harry Guards Woods on that map beside Yew Tree Tarn.

Is there any way of finding if those houses were the ones mentioned? I suppose I could email and ask if the current owners have any records.

HarrysMum
31-05-10, 09:41

Kit....maybe we need some lessons...

HarrysMum
31-05-10, 09:53
LOOK LOOK LOOK!!!!!!!!

http://www.willtranscriptions.co.uk/surnames/s-t-u/scales_robert_s136.htm

What do you think?????

kiterunner
31-05-10, 10:07
Definitely worth looking into.

kiterunner
31-05-10, 13:01
You probably have these already, from St Michael & All Angels, Hawkshead, on the Lancashire OPC site:

5 Nov 1727 Will Kirby married Agnes Addison
27 Aug 1728 Jane Kirkby baptised, daughter of William Kirkby, abode Thwaite.
1 May 1769 William Kirkby buried, abode Thwaite Conistone
12 Jul 1776 Agnes Kirkby widow buried, abode Thwaite Conistone
28 May 1814 David Kirby buried, age 84, abode Thwaite in Monk Coniston.

kiterunner
31-05-10, 15:34
Found this in A2A:

Affidavit of Hugh Addison of Hawkshead, gentleman aged 78 years BD Broughton/18/2/5 1739

Contents:
He lived in Broughton-in-Furness for 50 years and remembers the curates being Mr Wainhouse, Mr Muncaster, Mr Sidgewick, Mr Taylor and Mr Wright. Nomination was by the sidesmen and principal inhabitants of Broughton. The land owners and house owners of Seathwaite never interfered with the nominations, 9 August 1739.

So he would have been born around 1661.

HarrysMum
31-05-10, 17:18
Hi Kiterunner....

I have the Lancs OPC info. No mention of David Kirkby's baptism (the one who died aged 84)......he was Jane's (baptised 1728) sister.

No...I didn't have the A2A info.

I MUST learn how to use that site....

******and I really shouldn't be wide awake at 3.15am******

Merry
31-05-10, 17:45
he was Jane's (baptised 1728) sister

*places very large bet that he wasn't her sister* :D

Rosie Knees
31-05-10, 17:47

that makes 3 of us!

Libby, have a look at this website http://www.lakelandcam.co.uk/. Tony takes daily photographs of the lake district and often of the places that you mention. You could do worse than drop him an email (telling him how wonderful his photos are lol) and picking his brains.

HarrysMum
31-05-10, 18:02
Thank you Rosie....

Merry..............do NOT say that.......lol....this lot don't marry into the Ariels until 1787.

Actually I do have plenty of proof David was Jane's sister. He is mentioned in a couple of wills as her sister. He is then mentioned as William Kirkby and Agnes Addison's son in another legal doc.
He's also in another court doc where he is stated as the father of Mary Rigge's son, also David. Mary dies of a broken heart the year after her son is born because David wouldn't marry her. Wordsworth wrote a ballad about it.

So don't cast any more nasturtiums on this family........(they do that well enough themselves)

kiterunner
31-05-10, 19:02
You're going to kick yourself so hard when you wake up in the morning and discover the difference between brothers and sisters, Libby!!

HarrysMum
31-05-10, 20:11
You're going to kick yourself so hard when you wake up in the morning and discover the difference between brothers and sisters, Libby!!

OK.....lol.....I was tired last night and even tireder(is that a word??) this morning...

Merry
31-05-10, 20:43

:d:d:d:d

kiterunner
31-05-10, 22:38
I'm certainly not an expert at searching A2A either, but try selecting the Advanced Search and then choose the North West region and if you're looking for somebody by name, e.g. Hugh Addison, put their full name into the phrase bit.

If your Hugh Addison is that one who had lived at Broughton in Furness for 50 years before moving to Hawkshead, then this could be him:

Assignment BD TB 13/7/13 1713-1714

These documents are held at Cumbria Record Office, Barrow

Contents:
26 January 1713/4 by:
1. Thomas and Alice Ashburner of Church Town, Broughton, Lancashire,
Hugh Addison of Upper and Higher Bleansley, Broughton, aforesaid, joint executors of John Ashburner decd.
2. John Pennington of Whetstone Croft, Broughton, and Ferdinando Casson of Myreside, Broughton, yeomen, with full authority to dwelling house and barn at Sykehouse, Broughton, now in possession of Margret Stainton, widow.
Consideration: £10.
Witnesses: William Jackson, J Wright.

And William Addison might be a relative of his, maybe father or brother:
Bond 12 September 1688 BD HJ 93/3 1688

These documents are held at Cumbria Record Office, Barrow

Contents:
1. Agnes Taylor of Churchtown, Broughton-in-Furness, Lancashire, widow.
William Addison of Broughton Tower, Broughton aforesaid, farmer.
Mary Taylor of Churchtown, Broughton aforesaid.
2. Jeremiah Sawrey of Broughton Tower aforesaid, gentleman.
Sum: £20.
Condition: (1) to keep all covenants in the indentures of lease of 12 September 1688.
Witnesses: John Ashburner, Edward Fleming, James Towers.

Kit
31-05-10, 23:52

roflmao :d:d:d

My kids worked that out a long time ago. My eldest wouldn't have been 2 when he discovered I was missing a vital piece of equipment. lol

try selecting the Advanced Search and then choose the North West region

That is a major problem. The whole country is north of where we are. Knowing what bits of the country are where is beyond me.