PDA

View Full Version : Is this an impossible task?

Muggins in Sussex
30-05-10, 17:02
I have what I believe to be a baptism date (6th Sept 1919) - but I don't have the baby's name! -( I also have DoB - and a probable forename)

The baptism was probably either in the Manchester or Sheffield region.

A member of this site has already kindly looked at the records for what I thought was the most likely church and found nothing.

Can I search for a baptism in those areas simply by date?

Margaret in Burton
30-05-10, 17:58
Oh dear Joan is this your dad again?

Sounds like a tall order online but quite possible but a long trek at the record office, loads of parishes.

Trouble is very few baptisms are online compared to how many should be.

kiterunner
30-05-10, 17:58
You could certainly go to the record office covering either area and look that date up in the baptism register for each church in turn - if they have baptisms for 1919; I think some churches still hold their own registers for the 20th century. But as far as I know, there is no way you could search online for it, if that's what you mean.

Margaret in Burton
30-05-10, 18:00
Good point Kate, a lot of registers after 1900 are still at the church.

Muggins in Sussex
30-05-10, 18:13
Oh dear Joan is this your dad again?

Sounds like a tall order online but quite possible but a long trek at the record office, loads of parishes.

Trouble is very few baptisms are online compared to how many should be.

Marg- yes it is that person - tantalisingly (after another rummage _ LOL!) - I now have a photo of a baby in a christening robe and on the back is written " Born ../../.... - the correct birth date - and then the date the photo was taken - and the baby's forename but no surname!

You could certainly go to the record office covering either area and look that date up in the baptism register for each church in turn - if they have baptisms for 1919; I think some churches still hold their own registers for the 20th century. But as far as I know, there is no way you could search online for it, if that's what you mean.

Thanks Kite - one of these days I will have to take a trip to Cheshire

Margaret in Burton
30-05-10, 18:18
You and your rummages :d:d:d

Margaret in Burton
30-05-10, 18:18
OK remind me, by pm, of what you know. Name, dates etc.

Muggins in Sussex
30-05-10, 18:23
Will do Marg

Tx
J

Mary from Italy
30-05-10, 19:06
The new FamilySearch site has Cheshire Parish Registers, 1538-2000. The coverage part says 95% complete.

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1201130410556#p=collectionDet ails&c=fs%3A1614792

But I've just realised you said Manchester or Sheffield, so where does Cheshire come into it?

kiterunner
30-05-10, 21:53
I think that 95% complete means that 95% of what they have available has been transcribed or indexed, not that they have 95% of all Cheshire parish registers between 1538 and 2000.

Mary from Italy
30-05-10, 22:32
Ah, I thought it sounded too good to be true :)

Kit
31-05-10, 03:16
How common is the forename?

If you have the DOB and foreman could you seach FreeBMD in the relevant areas to narrow down the births?

I have ancestry and can search the BMD's if you think it is possible and want to send me the PM you sent Margaret.

Muggins in Sussex
31-05-10, 05:44
Thanks Mary and Kite - I said Cheshire, because the likliest town is Altrincham - I have tried the Family Search site, an keep going back to it in case more records are being added.

Toni. I'm afraid the forename is fairly common.

I printed a list from Family Relatives of all the births for the propable quarter and it ran to pages! LOL -Very kind of you to offer though - thank you.

Nell
31-05-10, 08:54
Do you ever have any straightforward searches in your tree Joan?

I'm sure there's a book waiting to be written about your struggles in family history!

Kit
31-05-10, 09:31
Would anyone believe her Nell?