PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on this photo please?

Muggins in Sussex
30-05-10, 16:08
I do not know who any of the people are, but this has been puzzling me all day! (found amongst OH's latemother's family photos)

At first I thought it might be an asylum, with a nurse in the middle and a female patient either side of her, and a male patient - but now I am not so sure - the more I look at it, the more the two female "patients" seem possibly to be acting - any ideas please? - I'm afraid my scanning abilities are not teribly good :d - and it will not go straight !! - but someone has thought this photo sufficiently important to keep it in a safe place for nearly 100 years.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o112/djangocrystal/Photo3334-1.jpg

Georgette
30-05-10, 17:44
I think they look like they're dressed up for a play. They all look quite young too :)

maggie_4_7
30-05-10, 17:50
It looks like they're dressed up as mother, father, nanny/governess and two children!

Muggins in Sussex
30-05-10, 18:00
Thanks, Georgette & Maggie :d

I haddn't thought of a play-- but that makes sense - strange how both women's feet turn inwards - but I guess that could have been a stage direction

Rachel
30-05-10, 20:29
Joan
Can you try rescanning it ?
You need to crop before you scan so that we don't get that great expanse of white (scanner lid).

Then it would be possible to zoom in and have a better look at the faces ~ the 2 women with turned-in feet could be playing the parts of sisters but with such a manky scan ..... *tuts and wags finger*

Muggins in Sussex
31-05-10, 01:20
LOL Rachel :d

Trying again - Edit - now I think it's too big!!
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o112/djangocrystal/again.jpg

Rachel
31-05-10, 08:38
Joan
That's FABULOUS ~ just look at the detail :D

well done

maggie_4_7
31-05-10, 08:57
I will say that they all look similar so are probably related. All women although the person on the end at the right looks quite tall and ambigious it might mean the rest of them are quite short but I looked at the shoes!

Muggins in Sussex
01-06-10, 05:37
Joan
That's FABULOUS ~ just look at the detail :D

well done

Thanks, Rachel *blushes coyly* - It took me about a dozen attempts! LOL:d

I will say that they all look similar so are probably related. All women although the person on the end at the right looks quite tall and ambigious it might mean the rest of them are quite short but I looked at the shoes!

Thanks Maggie - yes I can now see a resemblance between the women.

Rachel
01-06-10, 11:10
Thanks, Rachel *blushes coyly* - It took me about a dozen attempts! LOL:d

Don't blush :D ~ just keep on doing your scans like that.
Is this one for restore ? restore/colourise ? anything ?

You could have another go at Beatrice and Winnie in the garden ~ the detail wasn't too hot before :);)

Muggins in Sussex
01-06-10, 17:50
Oooh Rachel - if could be improved at all that woud be really lovely!

When I first saw it, as I said, I thought it was an asylum as three of the people look a "bit short of a shilling"

Now I am beginning to think that people are right, and it is people acting in a play.

And I will try having a go at re-scanning Beatrice & Winifred in the garden - that's if I have the original - but not now as I haven't got a chair handy and am typing this kneeling down! :d

Tom Tom
04-06-10, 22:12
On the same lines as Maggie - I think the "man" on the end is actually a woman dressed up.

Look at "his" shoes and hands.

Muggins in Sussex
05-06-10, 07:37
Oooh..I see what you mean Tom - thanks :)- he defiinitely seems to be wearing women's shoes!

Rachel
05-06-10, 10:42
On the same lines as Maggie - I think the "man" on the end is actually a woman dressed up.

Look at "his" shoes and hands.

and his/her coat is buttoned the wrong side for a man :)

wonder what play it could be .... does Gwynne have any ideas ?

maggie_4_7
05-06-10, 11:05
Joan said the photo was nearly 100 years old so we're looking at 1910-20. If someone could date it although that might be difficult because of the dressing up!

But I expect it's a play by a fashionable playwright of that time.

Rachel
05-06-10, 11:38
But I expect it's a play by a fashionable playwright of that time.

George Bernard Shaw
Oscar Wilde
Shakespeare
Agatha Christie
JB Priestly

?

Muggins in Sussex
05-06-10, 18:45
Thanks Maggie & Rachel - hadn't noticed about the coat before, Rachel! - the date on the back of the photo looks like 1919

Off to Google - may be some time LOL

Rachel
06-06-10, 11:06
Here's b/w clean-up
Hope it looks OK ~ been having slight problems focusing on the computer

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/rachelscand/Joan-groupweb.jpg

It would be fun to colourise but if we can figure out what the play is then that could give an idea of the colours to use.

I'd say it's something light-hearted .... not a lot of help really :)

Mummy, Daddy, daughters and servant/nanny/cook ?

borobabs
06-06-10, 11:27
Wow Rachel thats fantastic , you can clearly see that the 2 either side of the middle person are definatly sisters though ;;

maggie_4_7
06-06-10, 12:03
Joan

Which side of the family did you get the photo from?

Muggins in Sussex
07-06-10, 05:52
Thanks Rachel :) - that's brilliant - I can sse so much more detail now :)

I've had a quick Google for possible plays - not come up with anything yet.

Maggie, they are from OH's side of the family - photo probably taken in South Wales or Scotland.

I'm still intrigued by the "man" - his eyebrows look rather heavy for a woman - but that would make him a man dressed as a woman dressing as a man! LOL :d

Thanks for all your help

Rachel
07-06-10, 09:56
Hmmmmm ... close-up of man/woman/man :confused:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/rachelscand/Joan-zoomweb.jpg

Muggins in Sussex
07-06-10, 18:19
Thanks Rachel - that's great :)

Not much sign of a six o'clock shadow! Hmmm from me too! LOL!

Rachel
12-06-10, 11:46
Some colour
This has been quite strange to colourise ~ can't explain why, but odd and the result is not so good.
It would look far better if I reduced the size on here but I prefer not to ... hmmmm .... maybe I will later :)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/rachelscand/Joan-group1web.jpg

Rachel
12-06-10, 11:59
Resized

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/rachelscand/Joan-group2web.jpg

Muggins in Sussex
12-06-10, 12:46
Rachel - that is amazing :) - thank you so much:)

I think I can see a definite resemblance between the 4 females on the right - not so sure about the man/woman - but love his/her gnarled walking stick!

I always think there is something strangely odd about the photo - can't put my finger on it!

brenmac
26-02-11, 12:41
Thanks, Georgette & Maggie :d

I haddn't thought of a play-- but that makes sense - strange how both women's feet turn inwards - but I guess that could have been a stage direction

i also thought the feet were inward too,which i beleive they may have had rickects so could be an old photograph.the girl in the middle is standing feet well apart.i wonder if she was a nurse and holding the two other ladies for support.were they romanys ?brenda xxx

brenmac
26-02-11, 12:46
Hmmmmm ... close-up of man/woman/man :confused:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/rachelscand/Joan-zoomweb.jpg

i think a women with the lips brenda xxx

tenterfieldjulie
06-03-11, 03:54
I think it is a Teenage Play with the Nanny in the middle with Naughty Children and a rather Aloof Mother and Father on the outside of the group. Are they playing charades?
Wonderful photo, Joan brilliant restoration Rachel.

Merry
06-03-11, 08:40
Looks like a girls school play photo to me. The person on the far right is wearing girls school shoes, I think.

Merry
06-03-11, 08:42
Oops that's been said already lol. Must have not read all of page 1!

Gerry
11-03-11, 00:19
At first glance I thought the two girls petticoats were showing, but now after seeing the enlargement I think they are wearing bloomers. Did girls that age show their bloomers ? I would have thought it wasn't the done done thing and it's a cheeky play acting photo.