PDA

View Full Version : 1901 census of Ireland

Joy Dean
30-05-10, 09:37
Please move this if I have put it in the wrong place. Thank you.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/about/futureplans.html
1901 Census material, with all data transcribed, will be launched on 3 June 2010.

kiterunner
30-05-10, 09:52
It's already been posted on another thread on here, Joy, but thanks for the tip.

Joy Dean
30-05-10, 10:40
Thank you :)
Just here briefly - have moved house and been off line at home - off to unpack more boxes :)

peppie
02-06-10, 20:07
Does anyone know what time........? waiting on tenter hooks :cool:to see if I can find GGF and also GGM ( hopfully GGM is with her parents.... ) I swear GGF is a figment of peoples imagination.....
then there's the other GGF.... I think i've got a handle on him in 1911 Ireland but this might help me be sure.......

peppie
02-06-10, 20:09
OMG OMG ITS THERE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

ElizabethHerts
02-06-10, 20:24
First one I look for, OH's grandfather, is mistranscribed!! He is given as "Newson" instead of "Newton".

Merry
02-06-10, 20:27
And OHs grandfather isn't there. That was last chance saloon, after 20 years of waiting. ;(;(;(;(;(;(

peppie
02-06-10, 20:31
Merry try a hundred different ways........ in the 1911 the head of the household for other halfs GF swapped the surnames and first names.... and my GGM was severely mis transcribed... I found her because nan was adamant about the street she was in so I had to do a page by page search till I found her! Don't just give up try and try again.....

Though saying that GGM aint there at the mo or rather I can't find her neither is hubs GF....... *grumble..* going to keep trying.......

Now what can peppard be mistranscribed as?

peppie
02-06-10, 20:37
See found Mr peppard.......
entered in Luke place of origin Dublin..... ( there is an advanced search feature)

Mistranscribed as

Peperrd Luke :rolleyes:

Try everything you can think of.....
Now to find Mary ann Fitzpatrick.....
Parents Mary ann and Patrick fitzpatrick - plus any sisters I can find the scrap of paper they were on..... ( if not that will have to wait till the morning and I can call nan) ( all of Cavan)
Joseph Mccann - mystery man.....
Johanna Collins of Cork

ElizabethHerts
02-06-10, 20:54
The transcriptions are absolutely useless!!

OH's great-uncle

Cecil Newton transcribed as Cesi Newson

Edward Staunton transcribed as Edward Hanason
Mary Staunton transcribed as Mary Hanason

His grandfather
Percy Gerald Newton transcribed as Percy Gerald Newson

Merry
02-06-10, 21:03
Merry try a hundred different ways

I think I have!!

JBee
02-06-10, 21:08
Have just searched using surname and island and only 3 results.

Then used christian name, surname and county and found more that belonged to the island.

So it looks like the filter isn't working properly so would have another look using other search criteria

Think I will have to dig out 1911 census to compare.

peppie
02-06-10, 22:05
I couldnt resist and phoned my nan..........

going to type this out now as it's on the back of an envelope

she thinks my GGF ( on her hubs side) he also had a brother called terry who got run over by a steam roller.... No me and Dermot always thought it was janes brother Terry........ ( I still think it is. he was there in 1901 and dead by 1911)
Nans gran - I have seen the house it's in the middle of nowhere..... it's across teh road from Drumgesh ( Cavan)
Morrow of mill town ....... a farm her mum worked for........ before she went to Belfast - The family name was morrow - was there a Mary Fitzpatrick there though in 1911.......? there were three generations farming there.....

does anyone have a clue about a place called Balley mc carrott??? ( WTF) she thinks it's off the Falls road Belfast.... some of the family may have been living there....
Her mother Mary ann Mc cann had brothers. John James Patrick and Bernard.. all born milltown Cavan....

Oh and my uncle has a compost heap and there is a pink potato blight and she went to yet another first holy communion last weekend ....... ( I know i saw the photos on Facebook - I know recent stuff before she does now :d

peppie
02-06-10, 22:07
I think I have!!

Keep at it ..... they'll be there....... who are you looking for?

Have you seen teh mess I have to look for? :eek:

^^^^^^^Look above^^^^^

Merry
02-06-10, 22:18
Keep at it ..... they'll be there....... who are you looking for?

Have you seen teh mess I have to look for? :eek:

^^^^^^^Look above^^^^^

lol! You don't want to know:

John Claud Hamilton b 18th April 1895 in Cork City.

Parents unknown, father was supposed to have been from Scotland where he had been harbour master at Dundee. One of John's grandmothers was supposed to have been born in Norway.

He had sisters Eileen and Kathleen. Ages etc unknown. One of them emigrated to Canada after 1918.

We think the 'John C Hamilton' was a false name assumed by him when he joined the British Army in 1916. His army papers are lost. His dau (my mo-in-law) thought he once asked her if she would have rather had the name 'O'Hara', but it may not have been O'Hara, just O'something! lol

We know he went back to Cork in 1917 to try and make things up with his parents. We have a letter he wrote from their house saying it hadn't worked, but it doesn't have an address on it. :mad:

kiterunner
02-06-10, 22:20
It's a shame you can't search by birthplace, isn't it?

Merry
02-06-10, 22:23
That's just what I was saying to OH!

peppie
02-06-10, 22:28
Okies Cork 1917 is interesting........ What can you give me about this time in cork..... I ask as I have found stuff in the Irish newspapers in cork for thisish time for OH grandad..... and i'm going to the British Library Sat morning........ so can search again on the puter.... ;):)

peppie
02-06-10, 22:33
Does anyone have a clue when people in Ireland got married they stated their fathers were deceased? *sigh*

and why did they chuck 'em out to f the the house before they were 16.......

Rachel
02-06-10, 23:32
Oooooer ~ what does house no 58.4 mean ?

Found grandmother and twin sis aged 1 ... 'cannot read' ... well there's a surprise :D
and a new surname ~ a BIL with the surname Lahlor .... hmmmm so maybe gt gran's maiden name was Lahlor :)

Merry
03-06-10, 06:42
Okies Cork 1917 is interesting........ What can you give me about this time in cork..... I ask as I have found stuff in the Irish newspapers in cork for thisish time for OH grandad..... and i'm going to the British Library Sat morning........ so can search again on the puter.... ;):)

He went to Cork in order to make things up with 'his people'. He said his father was a 'hard-headed Scotchman' (sic) who wouldn't listen and so he was leaving their house and going to get drunk (a regular failing!). We don't know if they were against him joining the army, or aganst him having a Protestant girlfriend or both or something else. That's it.

A couple of years later (1920) when he married at a UK reg office to his Protestant girlfriend (because he 'had to'!) he didn't name his father. Was this because he was a step-father (seems unlikely) or because he prefered to seem illegitimate than admit the man's name (my mo-in-law reckoned the second and as she hated him she might have prefered the illegitimate story). In any case, highly annoying for us!

We have investigated the various Hamilton families in Cork via trade directories, census and birth regs with nothing sensible being revealed. We believe John was fairly well educated, as he was well read and his letters are very well constructed. He was just a black sheep! lol He said he had attended Queen's College (I realise there are several), but we have not been able to verify this either. When John died his body was left to medical science but later had an RC burial, but we don't know who decided on that as no one in the family knew about it (he and his wife had been separated for 20 years or so when he died). He never made contact with his birth family again after 1917 except for seeing his sister (don't know which one or when) in London before she emigrated to Canada.

Oh, I've gone on a bit, sorry! lol

ElizabethHerts
03-06-10, 07:02
Is there any way of printing the enumeration page without all the search information?

Merry
03-06-10, 07:18
It's a shame you can't search by birthplace, isn't it?

Ah, you can!! There's a bit called more search options at the top of the standardsearch box!

Georgette
03-06-10, 09:37
Oooooh!!! I've found my grandmother, aged 7, and my great grandfather and I think I may have found his father, my great, great grandfather too :D Aged 81 in 1901 which makes him born in 1820 a good 40-50 years before all my other great great grandparents.

kiterunner
03-06-10, 10:07
Wow, that's exciting, Georgette.

Thanks for the tip, Merry

*off to search for any Galways born in India apart from Alfred*

WendyPusey
03-06-10, 10:33
I found the brother-in-law of one of my relatives who had listed his 6 year old daughter. The enumerator had crossed out her details and added a remark at the end.

"No. Died 31st March 1901, at 4.30 pm."

How sad is that?

peppie
03-06-10, 12:15
*some ones just broken it..........* sobs.......... :(;(;(;(;(;(;(

Mary from Italy
03-06-10, 15:57
Very frustrating seeing these censuses, because I probably do have relations on them, but as the earlier ones haven't survived (as I understand it) I have no idea.

My great-grandfather was born in Drogheda c. 1838 and left for Australia as a youth; I haven't found his parents or siblings in Australia, so I guess they stayed in Ireland, but the surname's a common one, and I haven't made any progress with them, apart from finding his siblings' baptisms.

Joy Dean
03-06-10, 20:41
The transcriptions are absolutely useless!!

OH's great-uncle

Cecil Newton transcribed as Cesi Newson

Edward Staunton transcribed as Edward Hanason
Mary Staunton transcribed as Mary Hanason

His grandfather
Percy Gerald Newton transcribed as Percy Gerald Newson

Newborn was the transcription once for Newton in an English census! :)

maggie_4_7
04-06-10, 08:26
Very frustrating seeing these censuses, because I probably do have relations on them, but as the earlier ones haven't survived (as I understand it) I have no idea.

My great-grandfather was born in Drogheda c. 1838 and left for Australia as a youth; I haven't found his parents or siblings in Australia, so I guess they stayed in Ireland, but the surname's a common one, and I haven't made any progress with them, apart from finding his siblings' baptisms.

I have the same problem I have two branches of ancestors in Scotland that originated in Ireland but unfortunately they were born in c1797 and came to Scotland in c1820s so no chance. Common names too Duffy, McKenzie, McClean and McMillan!

Terri
05-06-10, 10:17
Nooooo!!!!
How disappointing! I had every hope of finding my grandmother, but (sod's genealogical law!) there are two possibilities and I've absolutely no way of knowing which one is her.
Drat and swear words.

WendyPusey
05-06-10, 11:11
Same here Terri. I have found a possible for my GG Grandmother, but there is no way of finding out if it's her! She is living on her own. Very frustrating.