PDA

View Full Version : Jackaman/Jackerman

hobbes
30-05-10, 07:13
I'm looking for help researching the Jackaman side of my family. I have located a Susan jackaman born in 1772 in Combs, Suffolk who was the mother of Benjamin jackaman (born 1804). I think her parents were Henry Jackaman and Sarah harvey married 1768 in Combs - but can find no burial for Henry or baptism. Any help would be appreaciated

Nell
30-05-10, 14:08
Where have you looked so far?

hobbes
31-05-10, 08:40
somebody helped me look at combs - but i haven't got access to suffolk baptisms and familysearch showed nothing

Nell
31-05-10, 08:50
Well I don't have access either but hopefully someone does! It is likely at the dates you are looking at that Henry was born/baptised and died/buried close to the parish where he married so usual practice is to look at that parish first and then all the others, going outwards in an expanding circle. It's also likely he's been misrecorded or transcribed as Jackman or even Jackson perhaps. Have you got further information about Sarah?

Merry
31-05-10, 17:53
Do you have some proof (burial record maybe?) that Susan Jackaman was old enough to have been born in 1772? It's just that her early 30s was probably the least likely time in a womans life she might have an illegitimate child (not impossible, obviously!!) as she would more likely either be married by then or 'on the shelf'. I'm not saying it's not her baptism, just that warning bells should perhaps be tinkling gently, unless you have further evidence of her age.

*awaits a load of other posters stating their ancestor had a child out of wedlock as 32!* :d

kiterunner
31-05-10, 19:06
I have quite a few women in my family who had illegitimate children in their thirties, Merry, but in most cases they had been married.

Merry
31-05-10, 19:32
The only ones I have with illegitimate children born in their 30s, were pretending to be married to men who were already married to someone else!

Nell
31-05-10, 22:12
My gt x 3 aunt Elizabeth had two illegitimate children, one when she was 22 and one when she was 34.

hobbes
01-06-10, 08:32
I'm not sure either - she's the only link I have as one of Benjamin's children (James) was living with a woman named Susan Fuller in either the 1841 or 1851 census. She's listed as his grandmother born in Combs. I have found a marriage to a John Fuller in 1819 to a Susan Jackaman, but I'm unsure it is one and the same. Any help to untangle this would be appreciated

Merry
01-06-10, 08:56
Surely that really helps as you then have her age and place of birth (on 1851), which fits with the baptism you found?

Was her grandson living with her because Benjamin was the Benjamin Jackaman who was transported in 1837?

hobbes
02-06-10, 08:51
that's the one - he was a very naughty boy! all i have to find is susanna's parents to be sure of the rest of the jackaman line