PDA

View Full Version : Are all Assisted Immigrant Passenger Lists this good?

samesizedfeet
26-05-10, 15:34
Elizabeth King - 4th person down is possibly the daughter of one of my Linksons (sarah who married a Robert Tilbury - so looking promising)

Is this just a luck hit on an ove rhepful form filler or are they all this good?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1204&iid=IMAUS1787_081418-0214&fn=Elizabeth&ln=King&st=r&ssrc=pt_t11168873_p69792474_g32768&pid=8959

samesizedfeet
26-05-10, 15:36
My touch typing is rubbish

*wanders off for a screen break*

Joan of Archives
26-05-10, 15:58
Lol!!! :d

Uncle John
26-05-10, 18:59
Is that what's meant by spaced-out?

marquette
26-05-10, 21:13
Elizabeth King - 4th person down is possibly the daughter of one of my Linksons (sarah who married a Robert Tilbury - so looking promising)

Is this just a luck hit on an ove rhepful form filler or are they all this good?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1204&iid=IMAUS1787_081418-0214&fn=Elizabeth&ln=King&st=r&ssrc=pt_t11168873_p69792474_g32768&pid=8959

Hi Zoe,

Its no fluke, almost all of the assisted migrants are documented just like this. There is another set of registers, immigration deposit journals, which sometimes have complementary and differing information, but not all voyages have the second set of registers, I am not sure why.

These immigration records are how I traced my family back to England, almost all of them were assisted migrants and these gave me their parents names, mostly and where they were from, so I knew where to start looking.

From the very start, NSW was run by a government bureaucracy and they kept records of everything, because they had to account for everything, even done to the last nail, back to the home government.

Di

samesizedfeet
26-05-10, 22:41
Thank you Di.

Its really strange - I think I have access to this set of records because it lets me click through from the attachment on this man's tree, but if I do a search it doesn't come up in my search results.

Anyway, having spent about an hour inbetween work collating all the information I could on the Tilburys to see if I could work it back I googled and found a thread from myself on here back in January where I came to the conclusion I couldn't totally trust the information because the death for Robert Tilbury (the father) looks to be wrong.

So I can't guarantee that they're following the right parents backwards or have just latched on to an appropriately named couple. Mainly because Robert and Sarah didn't marry until 1824 and all their supposed children were born before that. I'm going to ignore it for now.

I trust that should I bring the Tilburys up in another 6 months time someone will remember I've done it already.

Z
x

Kit
27-05-10, 10:15
Zoe Job King is one of my rellies. His sister Edith is my 3 g grandma.

I don't think I've done the research on this myself, I was given it by someone who does proper research, but Job married Elizabeth Tilbury. So yes I think this is your lady.

Elizabeth died in 1869.

samesizedfeet
27-05-10, 19:11
Wooooah. There's a response I didn't expect at all!

Wow.

My worry is more about Elizabeth Tilbury's parents. Until the LMA came out on ancestry she didn't appear anywhere at all. I'd never even come across her. Now she appears on several trees as having married Robert Tilbury and I'm not convinced that people have been looking for a Robert Tilbury marrying a Sarah and hooked onto that marriage as the best fit.

I should probably try and get a look at the baptism for Elizabeth Tilbury or her siblings to see if it gives a maiden name for Sarah.

Kit
28-05-10, 02:36
Does your Sarah Linkson have a relative called Robert Linkson? He's the witness at the Tilbury-Linkson marriage. The other one looks like Elizabeth Field.

I've had a look at my contacts GR tree but she doesn't have parents for Elizabeth on there.

samesizedfeet
28-05-10, 20:33
She has a father and a brother called Robert Linkson (although her brother was only 13 when she married).

I don't really have huge doubts about the Sarah Linkson marrying Robert Tilbury being connected to me, there's only the one Linkson family in London at this time and the signatures for Robert on her marriage match others I have.

My doubts are whether Robert Tilbury and Sarah Linkson are the same Robert and Sarah who are parents of Elizabeth Tilbury. Really need to get a look at the baptisms for the Tilburys.

I'm probably being too picky about it but I want to get it right.
Most others researching the Linkson family have the father of them all as Robert Linkson born 1763 in Midlothian, son of James Linkson and Janet Grieve.
But there's no further proof other than on 1841 Robert says he's born in Scotland and the Midlothian birth matches his age. I can't find anything to show that Scottish Robert moved to London or to prove he didn't stay in Scotland. I still won't make the leap after 5 years as it's not conclusive enough for me.

I'm a very cautious researcher.

Kit
29-05-10, 06:54
Sadly Elizabeths death cert wont be of use to you either. It doesn't mention her parents. If it had it would have solved the mystery.

Elizabeth and her husband died very close together. There are only 14 deaths that year between them.

Kit
29-05-10, 07:12
When did Robert Tilbury die?

Just looking at the image you posted originally Ellizabeth's father was dead by 1849 and the mother was living in Chelmsford. Does that fit your family?

samesizedfeet
29-05-10, 09:25
When did Robert Tilbury die?

Just looking at the image you posted originally Ellizabeth's father was dead by 1849 and the mother was living in Chelmsford. Does that fit your family?

ooooh - that may clinch it then. Where is that info coming from? The Immigration Register?

There's a Sarah Tilbury of Windsor Street Islington buried on 6 October 1842 aged 52

Robert Tilbury of Windsor Street was buried 21 August 1846 aged 53

I'm pretty certain these two are mine as Windsor Street is a family address where a lot of Elizabeth's nieces and nephew living when baptised.

samesizedfeet
29-05-10, 09:39
Hmmmmm. I can't now remember where I got Sarah's birth year as 1790 from. I think it may have been from the burial as it's not on my main tree only on my "researching" tree so it means I wasn't sure.

Anyway, this is Sarah Tilbury in Chelmsford:

1851 still in Chelmsford
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8860&iid=ESSHO107_1775_1776-0026&fn=Sarah&ln=Tilbury&st=d&ssrc=&pid=4767573

1861 in Springfield, Essex
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8767&iid=ESSRG9_1079_1082-1068&fn=Sarah&ln=Tilbury&st=d&ssrc=&pid=16757645

1871 living with daughter Anna Suckling in Springfield
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=7619&iid=ESSRG10_1663_1665-0642&fn=Sarah&ln=Tilbury&st=d&ssrc=&pid=13193031

She's pretty consistent that she was born in 1783 in Lambeth, Surrey - which does not fit with the her being a Linkson.

Sarah Linkson's parents married in 1786 and were living in Westminster at the time. They moved from there to Islington by 1795 when their 2nd daughter Abigail was baptised.
There is another birth inbetween the girls with no baptism found which is John c1794.

Going to have a look for a Tilbury/Suckling marriage to see if that gives me any clues.

Kit
29-05-10, 10:01
ooooh - that may clinch it then. Where is that info coming from? The Immigration Register?

There's a Sarah Tilbury of Windsor Street Islington buried on 6 October 1842 aged 52

Robert Tilbury of Windsor Street was buried 21 August 1846 aged 53

I'm pretty certain these two are mine as Windsor Street is a family address where a lot of Elizabeth's nieces and nephew living when baptised.

The info came from the image you posted at the beginning of the thread. It asks about the person's parents and Elizabeth says her mother is living in Chelmsford, no mention of her father which implies he is dead. They travelled to Oz in 1849 so Sarah must have been alive after that date.

If the burials above are yours then it would suggest Elizabeth is not their child.

samesizedfeet
29-05-10, 10:20
Right - I think I've solved it but my lack of skill on the new family search site and trawling the register son ancestry is hindering me slightly.

Robert Tilbury and Sarah Janes of Uxbridge married at Hillingdon in 1804.

They're on Pallots Marriage index - but with no information other than names and parishes. I can't find the right parish on ancestry or family search to find witnesses etc.

That fits much better with the children being born Uxbridge though and all being born before the Tilbury/Linkson marriage.

I have the following baptisms that I think are theirs:

Mary Tilbury bp31 Mar 1805
Providence Independent, Uxbridge

Elizabeth Tilbury bp 17 Aug 1823
Waterloo St - Wesleyan, Hammersmith

Lucy Tilbury bp 12 Nov 1815
Waterloo St - Wesleyan, Hammersmith

Can't find Ann Tilbury who was born about 1814 in Uxbridge who Sarah Tilbury is living with on the census.

There's some huge gaps there but I'm not overly concerned as I think there's far more evidence pointing to Sarah not being a Linkson than I'm comfortable with

samesizedfeet
29-05-10, 10:21
The info came from the image you posted at the beginning of the thread. It asks about the person's parents and Elizabeth says her mother is living in Chelmsford, no mention of her father which implies he is dead. They travelled to Oz in 1849 so Sarah must have been alive after that date.

If the burials above are yours then it would suggest Elizabeth is not their child.

Toni,

Thank you, Your better attention to detail than mine has probably led to me looking at it all properly and *almost* solving it all.

Kit
29-05-10, 12:11
Sorry my attention to detail is diminishing as its almost time for bed. So you have almost proved that Elizabeth married to Job is not related to you?

samesizedfeet
29-05-10, 14:01
yes, almost. :)

night night