PDA

View Full Version : Samuel Sladen and Mary ?

ElizabethHerts
23-05-10, 09:25
My 4x great grandparents.

I have only found one child for them:

Name: Elizabeth Sladen
Baptism/Christening Date: 06 Nov 1796
Baptism/Christening Place: St. Chad's, Rochdale, Lancashire, England

also baptism given as:
Baptism/Christening Date: 06 Nov 1796
Baptism/Christening Place: St. Mary's, Wardleworth, Lancashire, England

Merry explained this to me!

I want to find out where and when Samuel and Mary married, but the usual sources haven't given me anything.

Elizabeth was still living in Rochdale when she married in 1816. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Samuel had come to Rochdale from the Halifax area.

I am assuming either or both parents (Samuel and Mary) died after Elizabeth was born because of the absence of siblings.

Merry
23-05-10, 09:48
I don't know how rare, or otherwise, the name Sladen is, but might this will be a relative? (from Lancs Wills search)

Sladen John Cloth Hall, Spotland p. Rochdale woollen manufacturer. Aug 1836

Merry
23-05-10, 09:49
There's this one too....

Sladen James of Liverpool, mariner Admon. 1777

garstonite
23-05-10, 09:57
Everyone knows my qualities at research.....but there are 535 results for SLADEN on

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

a Samuel Sladen married Mary Stott 20 aug 1804 at St Chads, Rochdale...yes it`s after the births - but is it a possible ???....allan.....don`t laugh at my attempts to help...lol

Edmund Sladen bab 15th March 1807 St Chads , Rochdale-daughter of Samuel and Mary Sladen....abode Stubley- occ Collier
Thomas Sladen bab 20th october 1811 St Chads,Rochdale son of Samuel and Mary Sladen....same address and occ
Betty Sladen 20th feb 1814 St Chads same parents but now residing Paddocks Head
Patience Sladen 31 mar 1816 same church and address in Paddock Head...............allan

come on ...urry up....I wanna see if I`m getting better or still a novice....lol....allan

Merry
23-05-10, 10:21
There's a John Sladen who is a witness to a lot of marriages in the 1790s (I only looked at those years) but there is also this marriage with possibly your chap as a witness:

18 Sep 1797 William Howarth Ann Barrett,
both Hundersfield
W: Saml Sladen

Hundersfield is another township in Rochdale.

garstonite
23-05-10, 10:28
Elizabeth...I may have found something....looks good
BABTISM OF JAMES SLADEN 8 SEP 1811 St Bartholomew, WHITWORTH, Lancashire son of Samuel and Mary...address Paddock Head.....SO...looks like TWO seperate families of Samuel and Mary Sladen...can`t have one babtised sep 1811 and one bab 20 october 1811....do you think the Paddock Head Samuel / Mary are yours ?.....allan

ElizabethHerts
23-05-10, 10:54
Sorry, haven't been ignoring you - we've just come back from the Farmers' Market.

I know there were two Samuel and Mary Sladens because I had investigated the birth of Betty Sladen to Samuel and Mary.

Baptisms: 20 Feb 1814 St Chad, Rochdale, Lancashire, England
Betty Sladen - Daur of Samuel Sladen & Mary
Abode: Paddock Head
Baptised by: Tho^s Steele A.B. Curate

Marriage: 20 Aug 1804 St Chad, Rochdale, Lancashire, England
Samuel Sladen - of this Parish
Mary Stott - of this Parish
Married by Banns

I'll go off and look at the other information in a moment. OH needs help unloading shopping!!

ElizabethHerts
23-05-10, 11:17
I seem to be going round in circles.

Question: How did John Stillings meet Elizabeth Sladen?

There are also Sladens in Halifax. I wonder if Elizabeth's family originally came from the Halifax district and that is how they knew each other.

ElizabethHerts
23-05-10, 11:51
The other (younger) Samuel Sladen and his family are on the 1841 Census.

Could he be my Elizabeth's brother??

SLADEN, Saml M 58 1783
SLADEN, Mary F 56 1785
SLADEN, Martha F 17 1824
SLADEN, Charles M 15 1826
SLADEN, Robert M 10 1831
SLADEN, Saml M 20 1821
SLADEN, Sarah F 20 1821

RG number: HO107 Piece: 550 Book/Folio: 12/9 Page: 11

ElizabethHerts
27-05-15, 06:56
I seem to be going round in circles.

Question: How did John Stillings meet Elizabeth Sladen?

There are also Sladens in Halifax. I wonder if Elizabeth's family originally came from the Halifax district and that is how they knew each other.

I have just found this from my CD of Monunmental Inscriptions for Halifax:

SLADEN
Sowerby St. Peter's 4/251 SUTCLIFFE In/memory/of ELISABETH, the wife of THOS SUTCLIFFE/of Stern Mill in
Skircoate who departed this/life, on the 5th day of February, ad 1796,/in the 59th year of her
age./Also, near this place was interred the/remains of NANCY abd NANCY, daughrs/of the
said THOS and ELISABETH SUTCLIFFE./ The former was buried on the 5th day of
Novr/A.D. 1771, aged 1 year & 9 months, and 15 days/the latter was buried onn the 17th day
of July,/A.D. 1778, aged 2 years and 4 months./Also, in memory of MARY the wife/of
SAMUEL SLADEN, and daughter of the above/said THOMAS and ELIZABETH SUTCLIFFE,
who/departed this life the 6th day of May 1809/ aged 46 years./Also, in memory of the
abovesaid/ THOMAS SUTCLIFFE, who departed this/life the 19th day of May 1810 aged 73
years/Also, in memory of ELIZABETH second/wife of the abovesaid THOMAS SUTCLIFFE who departed this life on the 19th day of March [1818] aged 73 years/

The interesting thing is that Elizabeth Stillings (maiden name Sladen) was herself buried in this graveyard.

It doesn't say that Mary Sladen was buried there, just a memorial to her.

I still can't find any marriage for Samuel Sladen and a Mary before 1796, let alone for a Mary Sutcliffe.

ElizabethHerts
27-05-15, 07:42
Somehow I missed this:

SLADEN
Sowerby St. Peter's 4/303
SUTCLIFFE
In memory of/WILLIAM SUTCLIFFE of Lower Wood/ House, who departed this
life/the 3rd day of September 1809/aged 63 years./Also SAMUEL SLADEN who de-/parted
this life the 14th day of/June 1816 aged 63 years./

Very tantalizing!

From these headstones we have a Samuel Sladen born c. 1753 and a Mary Sladen, née Sutcliffe, born c. 1763.

There is also this headstone:

SLADEN
Sowerby St. Peter's 3/34
SLADEN
Sacred to the memory/of/THOMAS SLADEN,/of Mearclough House,/who departed
this life/June 7th 1853, aged 66 years./Also/in affectionate remembrance/of /ELIZABETH,/his
beloved wife, who died/August 5th 1848, aged 63 years./JAMES TONGE SLADEN/son of
THOMAS and/ELIZABETH SLADEN,/who died May 18th 1835/aged 22 years./ In
affectionate/remembrance of/HENRIETTE,/wife of ASHETON SLADEN/of Mearclough
House/& daughter in law of/THOMAS and ELIZABETH/SLADEN who died/December [ ]/[
]/ASHETON REGINALD,/son of ASHETON/and HENRIETTE SLADEN/ who died July 30th
1850/aged 12 hours./Also of an infant/daughter, who died/May 4th 1851./ ALICE
MARY,/daughter of THOMAS/SUTCLIFFE and grand/daughter of THOMAS/& ELIZABETH
SLADEN/who died May the 9th [1815]/aged 10 months./MARY FRANCES,/daughter of
THOMAS/and ELIZABETH SLADEN/who died [ ]/[ ]/ELIZABETH CATHARINE/daughter of
THOMAS/& ELIZABETH SLADEN/who died Decr 12th 1829/aged [19]years./
AMELIA,/daughter of THOMAS/& ELIZABETH SLADEN/ who died Sepr [7th] 18[12]/aged
[28] years./

tenterfieldjulie
27-05-15, 09:36
Liza are we related!!! Remember me photographing the Stott slabs on the footpath at St. Chads.. definitely needs another visit ..

ElizabethHerts
27-05-15, 09:51
Liza are we related!!! Remember me photographing the Stott slabs on the footpath at St. Chads.. definitely needs another visit ..

Oh yes! Well, we seem to be tracking each other around Yorkshire and Lancashire. I hope the holiday fund is going well and we can make another foray up north.

tenterfieldjulie
27-05-15, 10:12
Sounds good to me. I just need to get my walking shoes into more practice lol