PDA

View Full Version : WW1 Merchant Seamen's medal index cards - The National Archives

kiterunner
22-05-10, 22:33
I haven't had time to do a blog entry about this yet, but if your ancestor served in the Merchant Navy during WW1, you can now download a medal index card showing which medals he received, and in some cases, the address the medals were sent to. The card should also state the year and place of his birth, although this is not always filled in. The cards cost £3.50 each to download and the link below will take you to the TNA Documents Online site where there is more information about the cards and how to search.

TNA Documents Online (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/merchant-seamens-medals.asp)

Guinevere
23-05-10, 10:39
Oooh, Herbert George Capps is there. I' not sure he's a close enough cousin to justify buying it, though.

*counts pennies*

kiterunner
23-05-10, 11:08
I downloaded my great-grandfather's medal card and it gives the name and address of his executor (g-grandfather died in the war). I can't find anything for my grandfather on the other side of my tree although I know he served in the Merchant Navy in WW1, but I guess he didn't qualify for any medals. I also downloaded the list of those who got the Silver War Badge, because it seems that some of them aren't individually listed in the main index, but he wasn't on there either. I was thinking of listing the SWB names in the "Your Archives" section on TNA website if it hasn't already been done, as it seems ridiculous for people to have to spend £3.50 on the offchance their relly will be in there (there are only a couple of hundred names in the SWB list). Do you think that's the sort of thing they want in "Your Archives"?