PDA

View Full Version : Inquest Records from 1916

BlueSavannah
21-05-10, 12:09
Hi,

A sibling of my great grandfather died in suspicious circumstances in 1916. A jury decided she had drowned and an inquest was held. Would the inquest notes from this period still exist?

The death happened in Sheffield.

Regards
Claire

kiterunner
21-05-10, 13:24
You'd probably be best to look it up in the local paper, Claire. They usually had detailed reports on inquests.

BlueSavannah
21-05-10, 14:31
Hi Kite

I do have a small article from the local paper regarding the death. It does give very brief information about how they believed her injuries were caused after death. The reason I was wondering about the inquest notes is to see if anything of her husband was mentioned. He disapeared after the death and their child was left with the deceased's sister.

Nell
21-05-10, 18:06
Inquest papers sometimes survive and sometimes don't. IF they survive they will either be with the Coroner's office OR at the relevant county records office.

Uncle John
21-05-10, 19:41
Scotland is better served for records of this sort of death. If there was an enquiry there will often be an entry in the Register of Corrected Entries (RCE) giving the gory details as found by the Procurator-Fiscal.

BlueSavannah
22-05-10, 11:57
Thanks for the replies. I will look to contact the places suggested to see if anything has survived.

Thanks again :)