PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could go from here

Val in Oz
21-05-10, 10:31
please.........

I have a Christopher Samain born 9/1/1770 baptised at St Leonards in Shoreditch 14/1/1770 parents: James /Elizabeth Samain of New Inn Yard

I can find nothing more about him until he pops up as a witness to a marriage in 1820 - also at St Leonards
James Samin (sic) to Maria Brown
Christopher Samain makes his mark. At this stage he would be 50

I can find no marriage or death for him. The name Christopher seems to have vanished from the family after that - I think he was named after his maternal grandfather. His father - and his only brother both James Samain were soldiers and there are records at NA for them.

Had I not found him as a witness I think I would have assumed that he had died at an early age.

Today I have trawled through ancestry's LMA records, but to no avail - except for a remote possibilty of the burial of a Christopher Swain of Copenhagen St aged 66 buried 27/4/1833 @ St Mary Islington - but this is really clutching at straws I feel.
Can you offer any suggestions as to where I could look next please - or do I write him off? He is an uncle - so a branchline - which doesn't make him less important - and I do like to tidy my branches up with a conclusion if possible.

kiterunner
21-05-10, 10:49
I've had a look in various places but come up with... nothing. Sorry!

Nell
21-05-10, 18:09
Samain is such an unusual name that I am thinking he would be misrecorded somewhere. Maybe Swain, but also Lamain, Samane, Tamain etc. I have a family of Smoothys and the S is often mistaken for T as well as L.

samesizedfeet
21-05-10, 18:17
L's as well. The Linksons are always popping up as Sinkson

Val in Oz
21-05-10, 22:04
Yes, I have tried all the spelling variations - and also just putting in his christian name and year of birth and trolling through- but nothing at all. He must have led a very quiet life.....lol

Thankyou for looking KR - I think I will just have to put this one to bed with the small amount of information I have found.

HarrysMum
22-05-10, 02:43
Val...I know the spelling is diiferent and you've probably seen this but...

http://semain.com/index.htm

Val....just loooked at it...might be worth checking.

Val in Oz
22-05-10, 03:37
Thankyou Libby - but yes we have done a lot of research together. - George originally found them in the phone book on one of his trips down to Sydney many years ago, rung them and got them started on the FH and we have kept in touch ever since. Although the spellings differ marginally for our surnames we are from the same direct line.

Mary from Italy
22-05-10, 12:03
Bear in mind that FMP is going to be adding some more Chelsea Pensioners in future, so perhaps he'll turn up among them.

Val in Oz
23-05-10, 11:47
Mary I had forgotten that, many thanks....rushes off to make a note to keep an eye out for their release.