PDA

View Full Version : Transported?

kiterunner
20-05-10, 19:25
I've managed to trace my Marshalls back a couple more generations, thanks to Lancashire OPC and the new FamilySearch Record Search site having a baptism for my 4xg-grandfather Joseph Marshall 19 Apr 1772, which was missing from the North Meols FHS publication.

Joseph Marshall's parents were James Marshall and Ellen Bibby who married 21 Jul 1766 at North Meols, and it turns out James lived to the ripe old age of 92 and was buried 13th Feb 1838, so I could get his death cert if I want! Anyway, that gives me a likely year of birth of about 1745, and I've found this likely baptism: James Marshall baptised 11 May 1746 North Meols, parents John and Anne.

Both the North Meols FHS parish register transcription and the Lancashire OPC say that Anne was transported. I know that transportation to Australia didn't start till many decades later, so what does this mean? Any ideas, please?

maggie_4_7
20-05-10, 19:30
Could it be America.

Before they started transporting to Australia in 1787 they were transporting criminals to America and that stopped in 1776 because of the American revolution.

Merry
20-05-10, 20:01
Do you think it means Ann or both of them?

Olde Crone
20-05-10, 20:13
A rather odd thing to put in a parish register.

Unless.....the Vicar was clearing the way for her husband to remarry at some point. did this happen, do you know, Kate?

OC

kiterunner
20-05-10, 21:55
Do you think it means Ann or both of them?

It says on the Lancs OPC site "Notes: John of Birkdale, and Anne his wife transported". I can't see a remarriage for John but I would think it means that only Anne was transported, because if the whole family had been transported I wouldn't be here!

kiterunner
20-05-10, 21:56
A rather odd thing to put in a parish register.

Unless.....the Vicar was clearing the way for her husband to remarry at some point. did this happen, do you know, Kate?

OC

I can't see a remarriage for him in the North Meols parish register nor any more children.

kiterunner
20-05-10, 22:05
Ooh, this looks like the info I'm after, and the person who posted it must be a distant relative of mine!
Rootschat (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=a5e5adcea36f69459f1e34fde4051d a6&action=printpage;topic=206656.0)

Georgette
20-05-10, 22:27
It sounds really interesting, Kate, and quite sad. I hope they managed to find out what happened to Anne in America.

kiterunner
20-05-10, 22:37
I've sent a PM to that Rootschat member asking if they have found out any more since then.

borobabs
20-05-10, 23:18
Wow Kate what a find so new rellie as well there for you ;;;fingers X they do find out what happened to your Ann;;

Kit
21-05-10, 00:08
Sounds great Kate. Do you know what she was transported for?

I missed that if it was mentioned on rootschat.

Jenoco
21-05-10, 00:52
What a great find on Rootschat, I hope you hear back soon.

Toni, she was transported for stealing 22 shillings.

Merry
21-05-10, 06:00
What a brilliant find, Kate! I hope they reply to you and can tell you more about what happened. How frightening for Ann, though.

kiterunner
21-05-10, 08:54
I got a very quick reply but they didn't have any more information than is given on that thread. I found the books that mention Ann on Google books (with only snippet view), but there doesn't seem to be any more information about her in there than is on the thread. I'm going to see if I can track down any wills or inventories that might mention her.

Kit
26-05-10, 07:08
What a great find on Rootschat, I hope you hear back soon.

Toni, she was transported for stealing 22 shillings.

Thank you.

kiterunner
26-05-10, 07:18
There is a will that might possibly belong to her brother, so I'm seeing about ordering a copy of that.

ElizabethHerts
26-05-10, 08:21
Kate, this is so interesting. Poor Ann and her poor family. Especially the baby.

Elaine
27-05-10, 13:46
The tree appears on the following link - not sure if you have seen it - unfortunately it doesn't give you any more info about the transportation but might give you some other leads to work on.

http://nmfhssouthport.myfreeforum.org/archive/sawyer__o_t__t_648.html

kiterunner
27-05-10, 14:01
Yes, thanks, Elaine, I have seen it already.

I'm about to send off for Thomas Sawyer's will to see if it mentions any relatives called Marshall.