PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Lucey

kiterunner
19-05-10, 15:41
Thomas Lucey was my 4xg-grandfather. Administration was granted on his estate in June 1814 and he was buried at St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, on the 3rd June 1814,age 57. So he was born about 1757.

I have a copy of a letter written by my 3xg-grandmother's sister about their father, and it says that he was baptised at the Old Bermondsey Church. So this baptism fits well: Thomas born 25 Feb 1758, baptised 26 Feb 1758 at St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey,son of Thomas and Elizabeth Lucey, shipwright in the Folly.

The letter also says that Thomas's grandfather and father were both shipbuilders, so this all fits nicely. (And that Thomas's great-grandfather was a Frenchman who spelt his name Lucie; I take that to be one of those family stories that needs to be taken with a pinch of salt until proved.) Thomas's father is supposed to have ruined his family through gambling, and Thomas's mother is supposed to have died when Thomas was about 14, i.e. about 1772, but I haven't found a burial for her yet.

Other baptisms I found at St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey:

John Lucey born 2nd Feb 1753, baptised 16 Feb 1753. I think he is the John Lucey who married Elizabeth Barnes 15th July 1775 at St Mary Newington, witnesses Thos Lucey and Martha Haningshaw.

Alice Lucey born 13 Jan 1761, baptised 16 Jan 1761. I think she is the Alice Lucey who married John Clayton 2nd April 1781 at St Mary Newington, witnesses Jno Lucey and Martha Lucey.

Banns of marriage were published between Thomas Lucy, widower, and Martha Haningshaw, widow, at St Mary Newington 11th to 25th June 1775, but the marriage doesn't appear to have taken place at that time. (I'm thinking Thomas Lucy widower is the father of John, Alice and Thomas jr.)

I haven't found the marriage of Thomas born 1758; his wife was called Elizabeth and their first child was born in 1785 but they may have got married in Kent in which case it might not be easy to find. But all the above seems to hang together as far as I can see.

Now... everyone who has my Thomas born 1758 in their tree has his father as Thomas Lucey baptised 26 Oct 1724 St Olave, Bermondsey / Southwark, parents Henry Lucey and Eliza or Elizabeth Berry, and some trace the family back several more generations. I've never been able to find out who first came up with this, but it seems that everyone had it passed onto them.

But I've just had a look at the St Olave baptisms and the nearest is Thomas Lucey born 8th Aug 1724, baptised 23 Aug 1724, parents Henry and Eliz Lucey, pottmaker. Then there is a burial of Thos s of Henry Lucey, 12 Dec 1726. (I also had a look at the St Mary Magdalen baptisms for October 1724 just in case, but there isn't a Thomas Lucey in there)

I've found this baptism on FamilySearch / pilot site:
Thomas Lucey born 4 Jan 1723, christened 26 Jan 1723 St Sepulchre, London, parents John and Alice.
Other children of the same parents: Elizabeth born 10 Oct 1718 christened 26 Oct 1718, died 15 Sep 1719; Ann born 8 Jul 1720, christened 2 Aug 1720, died 31 Mar 1721; Mary born 22 Feb 1721, christened 4 Mar 1721.

I thought I would look them up in the LMA records on ancestry to see if it gives John's occupation on any of them, but that bit seems to be missing from the St Sepulchre records, or can someone else find it on there?

This looks more likely to me for my Thomas especially with the parents' names matching his children's names, but I feel I need something more to back it up, especially with so many people having his parents down as Henry and Eliza(beth)!

Any ideas, please? Sorry it's so long!

Merry
19-05-10, 17:16
I agree that Ancestry seem to have lost the film containing those baptisms. :mad:

kiterunner
19-05-10, 17:57
Thanks for looking, Merry.

kiterunner
19-05-10, 18:15
Any idea what the more usual version of the name Haningshaw was? I thought I'd try to follow up Martha Haningshaw, widow, but I can't find anything. Google suggested Hangingshaw,but there aren't many of those either.

Nell
19-05-10, 18:39
Never come across any of those names!

Merry
19-05-10, 18:52
Things like Herringshaw come to mind, but I bet there are loads of possibilities!

Mary from Italy
19-05-10, 19:01
Hankinshaw?

kiterunner
19-05-10, 19:11
There aren't any Hankinshaws on FamilySearch, but there are some Herringshaws. I wondered if she might be Martha Walker who married Edward Henshaw at St George The Martyr, Southwark, 6 Feb 1755. The signature looks fairly similar to the one where she was a witness, but TNA has a will of Edward Henshaw, linen draper of St George the Martyr Southwark 13 Aug 1790, so it's unlikely to be her as my Martha was a widow by 1775.

Merry
19-05-10, 19:13
Maybe that Edward Henshaw was her son? (*grasps straw*)

kiterunner
19-05-10, 19:16
Hmmm, I don't think I can justify paying for the will to check, and I haven't got free access to them any more. Have to see if I can find his burial...

JayG
20-05-10, 21:06
Never come across any of those names!

Saw a letter at work today for someone with the surname Lucy so it's still in use today.

maggie_4_7
20-05-10, 21:17
The name Lucey/Lucy was/is a derivation of my OH's family name of Lewsey way way back they spell it all ways.

kiterunner
20-05-10, 22:19
Yes, but having had a look on FamilySearch there certainly were some Lucies in France, so it is quite possible that mine came over from there.