PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Birth Certificate?

Muggins in Sussex
16-05-10, 15:48
The certificate I have is an original document (sorry about the scanning - Photobucket keeps throwing me out!)

If I send off for a copy of the certificate, will I get any more information than is shown here? :confused: - Is it because it is Welsh? :confused:

Thanks
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o112/djangocrystal/Birthcert3-1.jpg

Muggins in Sussex
16-05-10, 15:56
Thanks Velma :)

I've tried scanning it again - looks a bit better now, I think - it's just a long way down! LOL

So I guess it's worth sending for a copy then

WendyPusey
16-05-10, 15:57
That is a short certificate. Both my parents had them and when I got the full certificate I got parents names, and place of birth.

Muggins in Sussex
16-05-10, 15:59
Thank you Wendy, and Velma :)

Nothing to do Welshness then :d

Muggins in Sussex
16-05-10, 16:10
english and welshness maybe... :d

lol!!!

kiterunner
16-05-10, 16:44
It's what they used to issue when the birth was registered if the parents didn't want to pay for a full certificate, before the short certificate was introduced. It was accepted instead of an actual birth certificate for many purposes.

Muggins in Sussex
16-05-10, 16:52
Thank you Kite :)

Rachel
16-05-10, 19:03
Just for fun .... and because I can :D

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/rachelscand/Birthcertweb.jpg

Muggins in Sussex
16-05-10, 19:19
Thank you Rachel :) - clever girl :)

Rachel
16-05-10, 19:51
Thank you Rachel :) - clever girl :)

Naaaa ... computer dunnit ! :D

borobabs
16-05-10, 20:34
I have some of them Joan for Mams family ,,,havnt sent for all full certs yet but the way they moved around think I need to , granddad was ag labourer so will give me few addresses

Kit
18-05-10, 11:31
I've never seen a short cert so thanks for posting it Joan.

kiterunner
18-05-10, 11:41
It isn't technically a short cert because those weren't brought in until 1947, Kit.

Phoenix
18-05-10, 11:49
Though it does look virtually identical to my short birth certificate (which unfortunately was NOT well stored and has subsequently disintegrated)

I note, as well as the obvious differences, it is not stamped.

Kit
19-05-10, 04:15
It isn't technically a short cert because those weren't brought in until 1947, Kit.

Oops. So I still haven't seen a short cert. lol

Muggins in Sussex
19-05-10, 05:23
LOL Toni! :d

I thought I had found another (attached to what seems to be an ID card :confused:) - the two were copied together and given to me - but this second cert was presumably not free as there is a notice at the bottom (cropped off) saying that it was to be given to the informant at the time of registering the birth on payment of a fee of not less than three pence.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o112/djangocrystal/Scannedat19-May-106-04AM-1.jpg

Rachel
19-05-10, 11:15
Oops. So I still haven't seen a short cert. lol

I have an Irish (Eire) short one ~ issued in the 1960s for a birth in 1899

Shall I post it on here or would it be too different from the English ones ?

Muggins in Sussex
19-05-10, 18:48
I have an Irish (Eire) short one ~ issued in the 1960s for a birth in 1899

Shall I post it on here or would it be too different from the English ones ?

I think that would be interesting, Rachel - I have never seen one.

Kit
20-05-10, 11:35
That cert is interesting thanks Joan.

Post it Rachel. Interesting to see.

Nell
20-05-10, 17:57
My grandmother, born 1893 in Richmond, Surrey, had a birth cert just like that one.

Rachel
20-05-10, 21:46
Ooops
Completely forgot ... will see if my brain can cope with it

Here we are ~ have removed the name
On the back it says it cost 5 shillings

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/rachelscand/Birth-short-certweb.jpg

borobabs
20-05-10, 23:06
Oh Rachel there unusual arnt they ...and love that line at the bottom to alter or utter it ;;;???

Kit
21-05-10, 00:09
Thanks Rachel.

Rachel
21-05-10, 06:25
Oh Rachel there unusual arnt they ...and love that line at the bottom to alter or utter it ;;;???

Hi Babs
Do you know, I'd not noticed that bit before .... looking at things onscreen makes such a difference :)

borobabs
21-05-10, 13:30
Pmsl Rachel it jumped out at me straight away lol, but its fact once posted and enlarged you seem to notice more about them ;;

Sue at the seaside
23-05-10, 22:18
I was under the impression that this document was nothing more than a receipt that the registration had been done! Although births had to be registered a certificate didn't have to be issued. This is just proof that the legalities have been dealt with! I have them for several family members.

As I said, this is the impression I got from somthing my mother said years ago.

kiterunner
23-05-10, 22:28
Yes, that is kind of true, Sue (and welcome to the forum, by the way!), but it was /is also accepted in place of a birth certificate in some cases, for instance when applying for a driving licence:

DVLA info (http://www.drivingschoolsblackpool.co.uk/legal-requirements.html)

Northern Ireland driving licence info (http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/motoring/driver-licensing/need-a-new-or-updated-licence/identity-documents-and-photograph-criteria.htm)

Sue at the seaside
24-05-10, 20:09
Well I never, had no idea at all that they could be of use!

Thanks for that

Sue

Gerry
26-05-10, 10:08
Hi

I've just caught up with this thread (and site) I don't think it's a birth certificate as it doesn't state the sex of the child.

Cheers Gerry

Margaret in Burton
26-05-10, 10:27
Hi

I've just caught up with this thread (and site) I don't think it's a birth certificate as it doesn't state the sex of the child.

Cheers Gerry

My mother's was exactly like that and so were those of all of her siblings. I have them in my possession. I'm sure it was given as the free option whereas the full version you had to pay for.

kiterunner
26-05-10, 11:48
The registrar was allowed to charge for it, but it would be much cheaper than a full birth certificate. As I understand it, the big difference between the old Certificate of Registry of Birth and the short birth certificate that was introduced in 1947 is that the old one was only available when you actually went to register the birth, but you can get a short birth certificate any time.

Phoenix
26-05-10, 12:56
You're probably right, Kite.

My grandparents had to get certs when they started work. They went for the chepest option, but even so those all had full details.

Olde Crone
26-05-10, 16:14
Oooh, Kate, somewhere in my father's papers I have a copy of a letter he sent to the GRO requesting a copy of his birth cert for some reason.

"I think the new short version will be sufficient for my purposes" he said and I did wonder what that was all about. The letter would have been written in the late 1940s.

OC

Muggins in Sussex
26-05-10, 19:02
LOL Toni! :d

I thought I had found another (attached to what seems to be an ID card :confused:) - the two were copied together and given to me - but this second cert was presumably not free as there is a notice at the bottom (cropped off) saying that it was to be given to the informant at the time of registering the birth on payment of a fee of not less than three pence.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o112/djangocrystal/Scannedat19-May-106-04AM-1.jpg

Because I was given these two copied together, I always assumed that the short cert was used for the purpose of getting an ID card :confused:

kiterunner
26-05-10, 19:08
Very likely it was, Joan. I don't suppose there's anything on the internet to say what documents were required to get an ID card but I know lots of people only had the Certificate of Registry of Birth and not a full birth certificate.

Muggins in Sussex
26-05-10, 19:19
Thanks Kite :) What I really need to know is what (if any) documents were required for a non-Jersey nationalto obtain an ID card in Jersey during WW2 - apologies if I've asked this before - I am getting terribly forgetful:d

Actually, I think I've just answered my own question - I'll e-mail the Jersey Heritage Trust, which is where I found the record of the ID card and see if they can help.

Sorry to go off-topic :o