PDA

View Full Version : Pallot's marriage index query

Merry
13-05-10, 13:01
BK6 updated from this thread

If there's a marriage entry on Pallot's and the year is supposed to be covered by the IGI for the parish in question is it more likely the mistake is in the IGI? I can imagine they may have turned over two pages at once as there are no marriages for the year in question at all - mind you, there's only 37 marriages recorded for the decade.

What sorts of errors appear in Pallot's? I don't know how the data was collected.

Merry
13-05-10, 13:03
Pallot's only has one marriage for that year and parish.

Phoenix
13-05-10, 13:15
Post 1754, the entries should be in a printed book and NUMBERED Sso there's no excuse for a missed marriage.

Pre 1754, they could be scrunched up with baptism & burials, or slotted in where ever there was a gap, so much more difficult to extract.

Uncle John
13-05-10, 13:46
When I was looking for baps. and burials for Merry yesterday, I came across several instances of vicars bemoaning the incompetence of their predecessors and curates for not recording events.

Merry
13-05-10, 14:07
lol UJ!

1797 Phoenix. So, no excuses! Did Pallot use the Prs or the BTs or a combination?

kiterunner
13-05-10, 15:03
I think he used both and also other sources such as banns, licences, the Gentleman's Magazine, etc. but I can't find something to confirm this right now. I'm pretty sure marriages can be listed on there which didn't actually take place.

Merry
13-05-10, 17:52
I'm pretty sure marriages can be listed on there which didn't actually take place.

Aaaaggghhhh, really??? :eek::eek::eek: I can't send UJ back to the CRO when he only went there yesterday!! lol :rolleyes:

Margaret in Burton
13-05-10, 18:10
Aaaaggghhhh, really??? :eek::eek::eek: I can't send UJ back to the CRO when he only went there yesterday!! lol :rolleyes:

Of course you can.:D:D:D:p:p:p

Merry
13-05-10, 18:15
Of course you can.:D:D:D:p:p:p

:o:(:o:(:o:(

kiterunner
13-05-10, 18:28
Ah, this is what it says on the IHGS site:

Now on CD is one of the most important and useful indexes of marriages. For those whose ancestry is lost in London before General Registration this is an essential source. It covers all but two of the 103 ancient parishes of the old City of London for the period 1780 - 1837 - with entries taken from original sources, many now lost. The index has been augmented by entries from other countries, usually transcribed from printed sources.

(I think where it says "other countries" it means "counties"!)

So it looks as if the London entries are more reliable than the non-London ones.

Merry
13-05-10, 19:27
Thats not helping!! lol

And nor is this..........

A little survey for Stevington Beds marriages.....

Marriage year...........number in Pallot's Index.........number in PRs

1790.......................3...................... ...................0

1791.......................6...................... ...................3

1792.......................3...................... ...................1

1793.......................4...................... ...................2

1794.......................5...................... ...................4

1795.......................2...................... ...................0

1796.......................3...................... ...................2

1797.......................1...................... ...................0

1798.......................5...................... ...................3

1799.......................8...................... ...................4

Total......................40..................... ..................19

So, I accept one or two couples didn't get married, but more than half? I wonder what source Pallot used for this? I doubt it would be more than one. Any ideas???

Merry
13-05-10, 19:38
Maybe I should be looking for the marriages on Pallot's, which are not in the PRs, to see if any of them are to be found elsewhere?

Uncle John
13-05-10, 19:55
*scribbles vigorously in diary*

Sorry I'm booked up until Christmas.

Merry
13-05-10, 19:56
Hmmmm......this is getting difficult.

I looked at 1799 and only one of the marriages didn't appear in Steventon (and that one did appear in another parish), so I need to see if there's a hidden batch with the 'missing' records in it. 'My' marriage isn't anywhere, of course! lol

Merry
13-05-10, 19:57
*scribbles vigorously in diary*

Sorry I'm booked up until Christmas.

lololol!!

Uncle John
13-05-10, 19:58
Please miss, Stevington's nowhere near Kempston, though the PR transcriptions are probably only a foot apart.

Merry
13-05-10, 20:29
Taking 1799 as an example:

Pallot's names.....................IGI batch M003491 is the one I looked through....

Thos Mortimer & Elzth Aspley.......IGI batch M003491
Geo Bowyer & Ann Bond..............Submitted for Stevington. Extracted for Pavenham
Wm Boston & Ann Bull ...............IGI batch M003491
Robt Bowyer & Sarah Shelton.......Submitted for Stevington. Extracted for Turvey
Joseph Brain & Mary Wikes .........Extracted for Carlton
Robt Brain & Elzth Inkersole........IGI batch M003491
James Brains & Elzth Sheffield ....IGI batch M003491
Wm Smith & Ann Brown..............Not sure what Batch No 7660005 is?

I guess the submitted records are from people who have looked at Pallot's index!

OK, so who thinks Mr Pallot was looking at the banns register?

Merry
13-05-10, 20:33
Please miss, Stevington's nowhere near Kempston, though the PR transcriptions are probably only a foot apart.

lol That doesn't matter too much when you are looking for a Levi Maynard marrying a Sarah X who named their son James Mortimer Maynard and you find a marriage for Levi Maynard to Sarah Mortimer! In any case, Levi had moved to St Neots in Hunts, according to Mr Pallot, and I have no idea at all where Levi was born.

Uncle John
13-05-10, 21:06
Perhaps he "Levi"tated.

Merry
13-05-10, 21:19
Oooh, if Levi was 'of St Neots, Hunts' then I suppose they could have married there if this Stevington entry is from the banns register?

Val in Oz
13-05-10, 23:35
Perhaps he "Levi"tated.

UJ.......:d:d:d:d:d

Kit
14-05-10, 01:51
From my own experience Pallots has been correct. But I only have a few that made it to Pallots index. lol

Merry
14-05-10, 06:01
I just looked at the Family Search Library Catalogue and there doesn't seem to be a film of St Neots marriages for the right time frame available.

Does anyone go to the Huntingdon RO?!! lol (only joking!)

Uncle John
14-05-10, 10:17
St. Neots is so near the county boundary that I think it has been in Beds. from time to time. And it's not that far from Stevington either.

Merry
14-05-10, 11:49
Thanks for that UJ - I do have a bad habit of thinking if places are in different counties they will be miles apart - even when I know they have a mutual boundary!! lol

I'm taking bets they married at St Neots.

Merry
14-05-10, 12:11
Oh **** ****!!!

I have just re-visited the Pallot's index for my Levi and Sarah. This time I looked at her slip of paper rather than his and what does it say?????

Mortimer, Sarah
and Levi Maynard
of St Neots, Hunts
Banns Bk 1797

So, all that struggling to work out what was going on and the flippin' entry WAS from the banns book after all. I have looked at those 1799 marriages which actually took place somewhere other than Stevington and they all show one or other party as being from the place where the marriage actually happened and are all also from the banns book.

I have found someone on the Hunts Lookup Exchange who has a Hunts marriage index for the year in Q so am sending them an email!! lol

Merry
14-05-10, 15:40
I have had a reply from the Hunts lookup exchange. From their Hunts index the marriage did take place in St Neots in 1797 :D I now have to decide if it's worth getting Hunts RO to give me a copy of the entry for the witnesses. *sigh*

Uncle John
14-05-10, 22:32
You mustn't give up now. You'll go round moping and ignoring the housework.

Merry
15-05-10, 07:17
You mustn't give up now. You'll go round moping and ignoring the housework.

Oh, OK then. I wouldn't want that to happen :rolleyes:

Kit
15-05-10, 09:51
You'll go round moping and ignoring the housework.

Nothing wrong with that.

Mods please ban UJ for saying bad words.:rolleyes:;)

Oh, OK then. I wouldn't want that to happen :rolleyes:

Yes you would.

Merry
18-05-10, 12:11
The Hunts archivist has told me this:

21 Dec 1797
Levi MAYNARD, bachelor, of this parish and
Sarah MORTIMER of Stevington, Beds

Witnesses: Dixie CLARIDGE, James BULL

Of course, I don't know who the witnesses are (was hoping I would), but apparently Dixie Claridge appears as a witness at all the marriages on the same page, so it is quite likely that she is no relation. Don't know who James Bull is. Anyway, housework can apparently resume now.....:(

Phoenix
18-05-10, 13:07
The Hunts archivist has told me this:

21 Dec 1797
Levi MAYNARD, bachelor, of this parish and
Sarah MORTIMER of Stevington, Beds

Witnesses: Dixie CLARIDGE, James BULL

Of course, I don't know who the witnesses are (was hoping I would), but apparently Dixie Claridge appears as a witness at all the marriages on the same page, so it is quite likely that she is no relation. Don't know who James Bull is. Anyway, housework can apparently resume now.....:(

Poor Dixie is probably scratching a bald head in heaven, wondering who on earth would presume he was female:d

Merry
18-05-10, 13:15
That was a quote from the archivist! lol (not the bit about housework!)

kiterunner
18-05-10, 13:16
There's a later generation Dixie Claridge on the 1851 and 1861 censuses who is definitely male.