PDA

View Full Version : Interesting burial records

Merry
11-05-10, 11:08
Nothing to add to BK6 from this thread

Most of the burial records I have looked at over the years have not been very informative, but I happened across these ones in the LMA records for St Botolph Bishopsgate in the late 18thC....

The information given is:

Date of death
Name
Date of burial
Initials of the vicar/cutate etc
Funeral details such is whether there was a full service, bells, lights, coffin type, time of the funeral etc etc
What was paid

In this year (1796) convulstions and smallpox topped the cause of death list and the amound paid ranged from 4s to £4 in the pages I've been looking at so far...

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=1624&path=City+of+London.St+Botolph+Bishopsgate.1796-1800.9&sid=&gskw=&cr=1

If only all burials records were so informative!

Sabrina
11-05-10, 13:09
That's an interesting read Merry. What an absolute gem if you have ancestors buried there. There are two infants on image 11 (and more further on) whose cause of death was "teeth" !

Merry
11-05-10, 13:15
I think 'teeth' refers to the practice of slitting the gums, supposedly to make teething easier, but thereby introducing infection. Poor babies.....

I don't think I have any relatives buried there, unfortunately.

Sabrina
11-05-10, 13:22
I think 'teeth' refers to the practice of slitting the gums

:eek: Poor little mites! Have not heard of that before.

Nell
11-05-10, 17:46
"teeth" was a common cause of death in earlier times. I went through several years of burials at St Luke, Old Street and all the children died of "convulsions" and all the adults of "consumption" but I'm not sure how accurate that was.

My ex has some marriages at St Botolph Bishopsgate (I went in the church recently) but no burials alas.

Merry
11-05-10, 18:17
My ex has some marriages at St Botolph Bishopsgate (I went in the church recently) but no burials alas.

How lucky you are to have gone there, Nell! My G-grandfather was married there (bigamously :rolleyes:) and his father before him. I would love to visit the church.

Merry
11-05-10, 18:23
I just had a look at my g-grandparents marriage cert. I'd forgotten her status had been changed from spinster to widow (should have said married woman! lol) - the alteration has been initialled - by GOD!! lol Turns out to be Geoffrey O'Donoghue, the curate!

Olde Crone
11-05-10, 19:51
Merry

Hahahahaha!!!

OC

ElizabethHerts
11-05-10, 20:02
Merry, is this St Botolph without Bishopsgate? I get so confused!:o

My 2xgt grandfather was baptised there so it is highly probable his parents were buried there. I should add "I think" as he is a problem as he started his life as Henry William Pond and also adopted Bond as his surname later on.

However, as he was born in 1808 by the time his parents died the records might not have been so detailed.

Merry
11-05-10, 20:04
Yes, to the church!

I looked at burials in 1803 and even those were a lot less detailed :(

ElizabethHerts
11-05-10, 20:10
I have seen some of the records in real life when I went to the Guildhall library. I shall have to dig the file out because I think they were very good.

Nell
12-05-10, 16:14
Merry - with initials GOD you have to become a priest, I guess!
I've got a book somewhere abouts, about ghostly London walks and it has a pic of St Botolphs B with a mysterious ghostly lady in the upper gallery. I don't think it was my ex's gt x 3 grandmother, but you never know!

My ex has lots of London rellies who were bapt, mar or bur in London churches and many of them are still around to be visited. It was fab to go to the Guildhall, find the info and then discover the church just a few minutes' walk away.