PDA

View Full Version : Marriage witness question

Terri
06-09-09, 09:57
Can anyone think of a logical or practical reason why a (presumably happily) married woman would use her maiden name when being a witness at a wedding. Her husband was the other witness; that's probably relevant; but I still don't get it.

Merry
06-09-09, 10:03
No, not really! Are you sure that is who the witness is?

Terri
06-09-09, 10:11
Certain!
The witnesses are Edward William Olding and Sarah Dilling (A Sarah Dilling was known to the bride since childhood). The wedding was in 1857 in Portsea (where they all lived).

Edward William Olding married Sarah Dilling in 1850. From census info, this has to be the same Sarah Dilling that was known to the bride).

I have my fingers crossed that there might be a family link.

Sabrina
06-09-09, 11:28
Perhaps she had never been a witness before and was overawed by the occasion and because the bride signed using her maiden name, thought she should do the same!

Merry
06-09-09, 12:59
That's possible! When my parents married mum signed her new married name instead of her maiden name, as no one suggested anything else!

Phoenix
07-09-09, 13:38
Best mate has found a case of this. Couple go back to the small village she originates from to witness a mariage & she uses her maiden name. In this case, she had married her deceased sister's widower - not something she wanted the vicar to find out.

Terri
07-09-09, 15:12
I would love it to be something like that Pheonix! Unfortunately, I think my Sarah Dilling was just ........... dim!

It's not as if she was recently married either.

Olde Crone
07-09-09, 15:54
Terri

My ancestors are dimmer than your ancestors!

Mrs Dimwit goes to register the birth of her first baby. I can only assume the Registrar asked "Father's name?" because she gave the name of her OWN father, not the baby's father.....

Fortunately her own father had been dead for many years otherwise I might have been throwing a cloth over that particular branch of my family!

OC

Merry
07-09-09, 16:29
Ooh, I've got one of those!

I also have a widower going to register the death of his wife, but somehow he gets recorded as her father, which makes me wonder what he looked like, as they were both in their mid-20s at the time.

Tom Tom
07-09-09, 17:04
Ooh, I've got one of those!

I also have a widower going to register the death of his wife, but somehow he gets recorded as her father, which makes me wonder what he looked like, as they were both in their mid-20s at the time.

I have a case exactly the same as this Merry.

Same man also gained a middle name out of the middle of nowhere for his sons marriage some forty years later.