PDA

View Full Version : London Churches Q

Merry
06-05-10, 13:37
Nothing to add to BK6 from this thread

I am getting confused between St George the Martyr in Bloomsbury/Camden and St George in Bloomsbury. Can anyone enlighten me a bit as to how not to be confused??

Also I've been reading that if you died in the parish of St George the Martyr you might be buried at St Giles in the Fields burying ground, but when I clicked the link I was taken to info on the St Pancras burying ground, so that confused me a bit more!

Jill
06-05-10, 13:43
There's a parish boundary map here (1877), not sure which period you are interested in

http://archivemaps.com/mapco/parish/parish09.htm

Merry
06-05-10, 13:49
Oooh, thank you Jill - I've not seen those before! Shall be studying that for certain. *adds to favourites*

Do you know what the numbers refer to? (17,692 for St George Bloomsbury for instance)

Jill
06-05-10, 15:26
Never noticed them before! population maybe? Only speculating though.

Nell
09-05-10, 09:25
Just wish my ex's gt x 2 grandmother had put which parish she was born in instead of just saying "Long Acre". Been looking for her baptism for yonks.

maggie_4_7
09-05-10, 10:20
Oooh, thank you Jill - I've not seen those before! Shall be studying that for certain. *adds to favourites*

Do you know what the numbers refer to? (17,692 for St George Bloomsbury for instance)

Could be population like Jill said but wonders how they knew may have taken it from the census.

Edit:

It says on the description of the map 'The population of each district is shown."
"The numbers refer to the population of each district as given in the London & Rochester Dioceses Book for 1877."

samesizedfeet
09-05-10, 10:51
Just wish my ex's gt x 2 grandmother had put which parish she was born in instead of just saying "Long Acre". Been looking for her baptism for yonks.

I had rellies on Long Acre!

Nearest churches these days I think are St Paul's Covent Garden or St Martin in the Fields depending on which end they were. I'll just see if my Long Acre birth bothered getting baptised and let you know where

EDIT - she did get baptised but not until 1881 when she was 17

Nell
09-05-10, 19:49
Zoe

I've looked at St Martin in the Fields, and will look at other parishes when I can. Her elder siblings were all baptised at St Giles in the Fields, but I can't find baptisms for her or her two younger brothers.