PDA

View Full Version : Baptism Q

Merry
06-05-10, 12:19
Nothing to add to BK6 from this thread

Having read through 22 years of baptisms for St George the Martyr, Queens Square, Bloomsbury (1790-1812) I have just realised that before 1800 I didn't see any baptisms where the parents were not apparently married and after 1800, whilst there were a few that named the father and mother with different surnames, there were none where there was no father mentioned and no sign of any of those unfortunate terms like illegitimate or *astard etc.

How come?

Kit
06-05-10, 12:42
Apparently only good people went to that church.

Phoenix
06-05-10, 13:19

Lol!

But I'm not sure that Kit isn't right. I think, but you'd need to check, that that is the terrifying Hawksmoor Church that looks as if its portico is in imminent danger of collapsing on the ungodly.

I rather think it was an upper class church and the poorer residents went round the corner to another church.

Merry
06-05-10, 13:30
lol and posh people don't have illegitimate babies?!! Maybe I should be looking at the shotgun weddings PR page?

peppie
06-05-10, 13:32
Lol!

But I'm not sure that Kit isn't right. I think, but you'd need to check, that that is the terrifying Hawksmoor Church that looks as if its portico is in imminent danger of collapsing on the ungodly.

I rather think it was an upper class church and the poorer residents went round the corner to another church.

Its the one with a pyramid for a steeple thingymajig :D

kiterunner
06-05-10, 15:23
Are you sure that where the mother has a different surname from the father, it isn't actually her middle name?

Merry
06-05-10, 17:11
Are you sure that where the mother has a different surname from the father, it isn't actually her middle name?

Quite possibly!

In which case all illegitimate baps were done at a different church!

HarrysMum
06-05-10, 21:04
Not sure about that Merry and Kite.

Those Whitemans I've been looking at have Eliza Jones as mother in quite a few of the baptisms, while others have Eliza Whiteman nee Jones. Maybe it was the way the vicar wrote it with the mother's maiden name.

maggie_4_7
06-05-10, 23:43

ahhh that's probably why I didn't find any of my family in the records even though they lived in Queen's Square :d

Kit
07-05-10, 03:42
ahhh that's probably why I didn't find any of my family in the records even though they lived in Queen's Square :d

* shocked smilie *

Must remember not to talk to Maggie again. ;)