PDA

View Full Version : Wills question

Merry
05-05-10, 12:54
Nothing to add to BK6 from this thread

I am looking at a PCC will for 1829. The testator names his sister-in-law (wife's sister) as 'Elizabeth' with no surname. Would I assume from this that she was unmarried, or can't I assume a thing?! lol

kiterunner
05-05-10, 13:02
It sounds pretty likely that she was unmarried, because usually if she was married it would say the name and maybe the occupation of her husband.

Merry
05-05-10, 13:40
That's what I was thinking, but since asking the Q and re-reading the will (again!), it's occurred to me that he hasn't named himself at the start, nor had the will witnessed, so presumably something he write of his own accord, so perhaps not subject to the usual wordings!

This is a bit of my tree where I'm related to both parties to a marriage. The husband who died in March 1829 was Robert Francis McCrery, my 2nd cousin 3xremoved and his widow was Sarah, nee Millwood, also my 2nd cousin 3xremoved, who went on to become Mrs John Lavender. John Lavender was also my 2nd cousin 3xremoved!!

My problem with this part is that whilst I know that Sarah Millwood's parents were Mr Millwood and Miss Maynard, I don't know either of their first names. I now know Sarah Millwood was b about 1792, not in Hertfordshire and that she had a sister called Elizabeth who might have been a spinster in 1829. They may also have had a brother called William who wasn't born until 1810ish in St George Middlesex (1851 census). He may not be such a close relative as brother though! His father was called James Millwood (BIVRI), but that hasn't helped one bit!

kiterunner
05-05-10, 13:44
Oh, well if he wrote it himself then who knows.

Merry
05-05-10, 13:58
Exactly! So, now I have to look for an Elizabeth Millwood, b date ? place ?, marriage ?, death ? lol

I think you can see why I was asking if Ancestry are going to transcribe those other LMA records - If William Millwood was b in London and Sarah and Elizabeth are his sisters, then there's a good chance I could find them if the right records were transcribed!! (could say that for anything, of course!)

Kit
06-05-10, 01:56
Exactly! So, now I have to look for an Elizabeth Millwood, b date ? place ?, marriage ?, death ? lol

Assuming the records were transcribed correctly otherwise you are looking for an Elizabeth ? b date ? place ?, marriage ?, death ?

Merry
06-05-10, 06:06
lol! Exactly!!

kiterunner
06-05-10, 07:32
You mean Elizabeth Unknown? She's in my tree!

Merry
06-05-10, 10:19
Yes, yes, that's her, I'm sure!

Please may I have a gedcom of your entire tree so I can connect it to mine and tell everyone how much research I've been doing? :rolleyes:

Margaret in Burton
06-05-10, 10:29
You mean Elizabeth Unknown? She's in my tree!

She's in my tree 21 times. :eek::eek::eek:

Merry
06-05-10, 11:17
She's only in mine 11 times!

Kit
06-05-10, 11:25
I have many Mr or Miss Unknowns in my and OHs tree but not one Elizabeth. :(

Uncle John
06-05-10, 18:31
If I had Unknowns in my tree I'd be trying to connect them. I find the Bracket family less confusing - (Jones), (Smith) and so on.

Kit
07-05-10, 03:49
I have many Mr or Miss Unknowns in my and OHs tree but not one Elizabeth. :(

I lied. :rolleyes: I have 11 Elizabeth or Betty Unknowns. OH has 3.

I hid them from myself by changing Unknown to MrsHusbandsName as I went through a stage of not liking Unknown.

UJ I have no members of the bracket family. I wish you luck with them though.

Uncle John
07-05-10, 16:41
The Brackets are close relatives of the MrsHusbandsNames.

Kit
09-05-10, 09:37
I shall keep a lookout for them then. Who knows what branches may be added to the family.

ElizabethHerts
10-05-10, 08:07
I can feel a new occupation coming on for when I'm bored!

Go through my tree and find surnames for all those entered

, Elizabeth

for example.

I have 12 , Elizabeths. But I can better that - I have 19 , Marys!

Kit
10-05-10, 09:23
I've tried doing that, Elizabeth. I don't think I solved many and ended up with new ones as well.