PDA

View Full Version : 1901 census - John N Lant??

beaglelady
02-05-10, 13:39
Hi folks,

I'm just on another line at the moment and seem to have hit a wall before I've even started!:confused:

I have John Noble Lant b.1894, Rishton, Lancashire but I can't find him in the 1901 census. I don't have credits for 1911 census so can't search for him there either.

Can anyone please find him in the 1901 census for me, I'm trying to find the names, dobs and residence of his parents.

Thank you,
Elaine.

kiterunner
02-05-10, 13:47
You can search the 1911 census for free; you only have to pay to view the full transcription or image, and of course you can buy credits if and when you need them.

If you find him on the 1911 using the free search, then do another search for anyone with the surname Lant, living in whatever place you found him in, and specify John Lant for name of other person in the household.

kiterunner
02-05-10, 13:48
His birth is listed on Lancashire BMD, and it gives mother's maiden name as Noble.

kiterunner
02-05-10, 13:50
So his parents are likely to be Albert Lant and Susannah Noble who got married at St Peter and St Paul, Rishton, in Jan-Mar 1892 (Blackburn district).

beaglelady
02-05-10, 13:53
His birth is listed on Lancashire BMD, and it gives mother's maiden name as Noble.

I just looked on LancsBMD and couldn't find his birth just his marriage to Clara Duerden!!:rolleyes:

How did you find that so quickly?? I looked under blackburn area b.1894 and couldn't see him - got my glasses on too!!!!!:(

Elaine

beaglelady
02-05-10, 13:54
What is really puzzling me is his 2 sons have a different mother's maiden name on their birth registration.

Jack Lant b.1920 Blackburn - mother's maiden name - Smith??
George Lant b.1921 " " " "

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Elaine.

kiterunner
02-05-10, 13:55
Okay, so looking at the 1911 census free search, there is a John Lant age 16, Blackburn district. Searching for any Lant in Blackburn with a John Lant in the household brings up the following names:
Albert 40, Susannah 41, Isabella 29, Ellen 14, Matilda 12, Florence 8, Constance Rose 2.

But you then need to check that these are all in the same household as each other, so do another search for any Lants with an Albert and Susannah in the household and some of them don't come up, so we can forget about them. These are the people in John's family:

Albert 40
Susannah 41
John 16
Ellen 14
Matilda 12
Florence 8

kiterunner
02-05-10, 13:57
Elaine, is it possible that either of the people you mentioned in post number 6 are still living? In which case we should delete their names.

beaglelady
02-05-10, 13:58
Elaine, is it possible that either of the people you mentioned in post number 6 are still living? In which case we should delete their names.

No definitely NOT living now, got death cert to prove it!

kiterunner
02-05-10, 13:59
I just looked on LancsBMD and couldn't find his birth just his marriage to Clara Duerden!!:rolleyes:

How did you find that so quickly?? I looked under blackburn area b.1894 and couldn't see him - got my glasses on too!!!!!:(

Elaine

I didn't specify the area, just searched for any Lant born 1894. It comes back as sub-district Oswaldtwistle, registers at Preston, so I guess it was the fact you put in Blackburn area that stopped it coming up.

beaglelady
02-05-10, 14:01
Arrrghh right that's why I couldn't find his birth.

Thanks very much for that. What about his 2 son's birth registrations though - mother's maiden name SMITH???

Elaine

kiterunner
02-05-10, 14:04
George's birth is listed on Lancashire BMD with both Duerden and Smith for mother's maiden name. So it looks as though Clara used both surnames at one time or another before she married John.

kiterunner
02-05-10, 14:05
It could be that she was born Smith and Duerden was her stepfather's surname, or vice versa, or she was illegitimate and one parent's name was Smith and the other's was Duerden. Unfortunately looking for a Duerden / Smith marriage doesn't help because there are loads of them!

beaglelady
02-05-10, 14:08
It could be that she was born Smith and Duerden was her stepfather's surname, or vice versa, or she was illegitimate and one parent's name was Smith and the other's was Duerden. Unfortunately looking for a Duerden / Smith marriage doesn't help because there are loads of them!

Oh ok, that seems to make sense, that's great, I don't know how you search so fast!! But thanks again.

Still waiting for news on my Webb problem - just despair with them;(

Thanks again,
Elaine.

kiterunner
02-05-10, 14:14
Searching (free) non the official 1901 census site, this is the family, living in Church, Lancashire:
Albert Lant 30 Fire Stoker at Chemical Works born Blackburn
Susannah Lant 31 Cotton Weaver born Rishton
John R Lant 6 born Oswaldtwistle
Ellen Lant 4 born Rishton

There is a Matilda Lant 2 born Church but it says she is in Great Harwood. Maybe with her grandparents? I'll have to see if I can get ancestry to load so I can look at the households.

kiterunner
02-05-10, 14:25
Okay, their (Albert and Susannah's) surname is mistranscribed as Laub on ancestry for the 1901 census.

And in Great Harwood, we have:
Matilda Lant Head Widow 56 Lancs Blackburn
Henry Lant Son S 19 Cotton Cloth Presser Lancs Oswaldtwistle
John William Lant Son M 23 Cotton Weaver Lancs Oswaldtwistle
Isabella Lant Daur in Law M 19 Cotton Warper Lancs Great Harwood
Arthur Baron Son in Law M 28 Railway Porter Lancs Great Harwood
Eleanor Baron Daur M 27 Cotton Cloth Weaver Lancs Blackburn
Matilda Lant Grand Daur S 2 Lancs Church

So Matilda senior must be Albert Lant's mother - I went back to the 1911 and checked that young Matilda was listed as Albert's daughter not a visitor or something!

kiterunner
02-05-10, 14:27
If you want to trace Clara Duerden's family back, the best thing to do will be to get a copy of her marriage certificate as that will (hopefully) give you her father's name.

beaglelady
02-05-10, 14:30
Oooohh you are beginning to lose me here!!

I found a William and Ellen Lant and thought they were Albert's parents?? They came up as hints on ancestry as I was inputting the details for Albert and they seemed to match?? Now I'm confused. Think I need to screw my head on and start again from the beginning:o

Thanks for your help, I'll take another look.

Elaine.

P.S. Nope it's not me being thick, I think what I've found is the 1871 census for Albert shows him as with his GRANDPARENTS - William and Ellen. Duuhhh I'm losing the plot here.

beaglelady
02-05-10, 14:43
Am I still on the right track here or have I took a detour?? 1871 census says Albert's mothers name is Ellen but on 1881 census says it's Matilda. Father is William born Ramsey, Huntingdon. So it must be the same family??

Think I'd better take a break and make a cuppa. Clear my head:d

Thank you,

Elaine.

kiterunner
02-05-10, 15:46
Matilda could be his stepmother.

kiterunner
02-05-10, 15:57
Ellen is 29 on the 1871 census, and there is an Ellen Lant death listed in Blackburn district Oct-Dec 1873, age 33. On the 1881 census, William has some stepchildren in his family - Mary Ann Pass age 8 and Elenore Pass 7, both born Blackburn. But I can't find a marriage between William Lant and Matilda Pass at the moment.

kiterunner
02-05-10, 16:02
Hmm, on Lancashire BMD there are two mother's maiden names given for Mary Ann and Eleanor Pass - Brierley and Dutton. Thomas Pass married Matilda Brierley 1872 St Thomas, Blackburn. I can't see a Thomas Pass death in Blackburn between then and 1881, though of course he could have died somewhere else. But it could be that Matilda was still married to him and that's why she didn't marry William. Anyway, it's Ellen who was Albert's mother.

beaglelady
02-05-10, 16:40
Hi Kiterunner,

Thanks for all your help that's great and I'm back on the right track now:)

Elaine.

beaglelady
02-05-10, 17:52
Hi again,

Sorry but was on track now hit the rails again!:(

I've got a bit further on but now stuck again. Albert's dad was William Lant b.1840ish Ramsey, Huntingdonshire. I've found 2 lots of parents for William - a Henry Lant with wife Mary but also a John and Jane Lant??

Henry and Mary are showing in this census - ho107 pce 1748 f.80 p.13

John and Jane are showing in this one - ho107 p.448 fol.16 p.20

Which parents belong to William Lant??

Thanks once again,
Elaine.

kiterunner
02-05-10, 17:59
You might need to get William Lant and Ellen's marriage certificate to see who his father is. Luckily we know Ellen's maiden name was Mayor because they are with the Mayors on one of the censuses, so this is the marriage:

Oct-Dec 1863 Blackburn vol 8e page 382, William Lant / Ellen Mayor.

Also on Lancashire BMD if you prefer ordering from them - Blackburn, St Mary the Virgin (Blackburn Cathedral), reference CE12/23/494.

beaglelady
02-05-10, 18:05
You might need to get William Lant and Ellen's marriage certificate to see who his father is. Luckily we know Ellen's maiden name was Mayor because they are with the Mayors on one of the censuses, so this is the marriage:

Oct-Dec 1863 Blackburn vol 8e page 382, William Lant / Ellen Mayor.

Also on Lancashire BMD if you prefer ordering from them - Blackburn, St Mary the Virgin (Blackburn Cathedral), reference CE12/23/494.

Thanks Kite,

I've just had another look at the censuses and I think it's more likely to be John and Jane Lant because they are resident in Colne even in the 1841 census and 1851 census. But I might just order the marriage certificate for William to make sure.

Thanks again,
Elaine.

Opps - just realised there is a Colne in Huntingdon as well as Blackburn - back to drawing board, definitely have to order certificate now!!!