PDA

View Full Version : Question re unmarried parents

Kit
02-05-10, 10:27
If a couple aren't married is the child registered twice in both the mother's name and the father's name, assuming the father admits paternity?

If the mother had been married, but wasn't married at the time of birth of the child (father different to husband) would it be reigstered in her married name and also state the MMN?

This is after 1911.

Hope this makes sense.

kiterunner
02-05-10, 10:45
Not registered twice, only once but indexed twice, in her surname and his. Yes, if she is married to someone else then the birth would be listed under her married surname. But sometimes the mother will have changed her surname to her partner's surname without marrying him, in which case it will only be indexed in that name.

Also if the parents married afterwards, the birth should be re-registered after their marriage.

Kit
02-05-10, 11:21
Thanks Kate. I meant indexed twice but said it incorrectly.

This query is for someone else but from what I can see the parents didn't marry later, although she did take his surname for the rest of the children.

WendyPusey
02-05-10, 11:43
Not always the case. My parents didn't marry as my father couldn't get a divorce from his 1st wife, so my mother changed her surname to his. My birth was only registered with my father's surname. My mother's maiden name was listed the same as my father'. My birth certificate does not give any indication as to what my mother's maiden name was.

Nell
02-05-10, 15:33
Bear in mind that whatever surname(s) are given on the birth cert, they are whatever the informant has given, not necessarily right!

Kit
03-05-10, 03:08
Not always the case. My parents didn't marry as my father couldn't get a divorce from his 1st wife, so my mother changed her surname to his. My birth was only registered with my father's surname. My mother's maiden name was listed the same as my father'. My birth certificate does not give any indication as to what my mother's maiden name was.

I wonder why she didn't give her maiden name?

Bear in mind that whatever surname(s) are given on the birth cert, they are whatever the informant has given, not necessarily right!

That's so true Nell.