PDA

View Full Version : Passport Question

Muggins in Sussex
01-05-10, 16:46
Two questions, actually! :d

1.What documents, if any, would someone have had to produce to obtain a UK passport in the late 1940's/early 1950's ?

2.If someone who hadn't been serving in WW2 joined the army and was posted abroad in 1948, would he/she have needed a passport?

Any thoughts would be welcome - I am trying to crack on with my biggest brickwall :d

Thanks

Joan

Nell
01-05-10, 17:14
My copy of Ancestral Trails says that a register of passport applications and passports issued up to 1948 is at TNA in series FO 610.

I hope someone else can answer your queries.

Olde Crone
01-05-10, 17:49
Members of the Armed Forces who move around the world "in uniform" do not need passports for an official journey, which would probably be made in a forces' plane or boat etc.

OC

JBee
01-05-10, 22:52
I got mine through the Royal Navy when I was sent to Malta - it had Government Service on as an occupation.

OH got his at the High Commission in Singapore on production of an ID card.

Muggins in Sussex
01-05-10, 23:11
Thank you for your replies.

Nell, I hope to go to TNA again soon.

OC and JBee, I am now wondering what documents you would have needed as proof of evidence to join the army in 1948 :confused: - and also to get an ID card in Jersey during the occupation :confused:

Olde Crone
02-05-10, 08:01
To join up as an ordinary soldier in 1948 you might have needed a birth cert, although I understand they weren't too fussy about this. Remember national service was in force at this time so he may have gone in that way.

To go in as a commissioned officer you would definitely have needed a bc and quite a lot of supporting paperwork regarding your background and suitability to be an officer.

As for ID cards on Jersey...I'm sure it would be possible to "borrow" paperwork for the purpose. As far as I can tell, you didn't have to produce a bc in England to get ID, so probably you didn't have to in Jersey either.

OC

Muggins in Sussex
02-05-10, 08:19
Thanks OC :)

I presume there is no way I would be able to access any Army records from 1948 when the person concerned is still alive :confused:

Margaret in Burton
02-05-10, 08:23
Thanks OC :)

I presume there is no way I would be able to access any Army records from 1948 when the person concerned is still alive :confused:

Not without his permission Joan. I suppose this is your father?

We wanted to send for FIL's but he wouldn't let us. He said that he knew what he did in the war and didn't need to read about it. Now he has passed away we do intend sending for it some time.

Can't see you getting permission from your father either.

Muggins in Sussex
02-05-10, 08:26
Thanks Margaret - yes, you are right on all counts! :d

Oakum Picker
02-05-10, 09:52
National Registration was in 1939 & the Channel Isles as part of U.K would have paticipated. All males at certain ages during the war (the range expanded as the war progressed) were liable for War Service.

My father was 17 in 1939 & worked in a 'reserved occupation - engineering' so was not called until the war ended. He served from 1945 - 1947 & then went into the Reserve for 12 years finally discharged in 1959 although of course he never actually served again. He never had a passport until the 1970s although he served in the Far East.

I don't know how old your father was but he may have missed War Service for obvious reasons & was part of the call up for the 1st National Service intake.

Muggins in Sussex
02-05-10, 10:06
Thanks Glen - he didn't serve in WW2 because he was a registered conscientious objector.

Not sure I should be saying all this as he is still alive :confused:

Maybe I shoud be modded! :confused:

Margaret in Burton
02-05-10, 10:09
Thanks Glen - he didn't serve in WW2 because he was a registered conscientious objector.

You haven't named him Joan so don't worry.

Muggins in Sussex
02-05-10, 10:11
Thanks, Marg :)

Kit
02-05-10, 10:36

As MArg said you didn't name him, also you haven't said enough to narrow down the search to one person. If he was the only registered conscientious objector then there would have been a problem.

My grandad wouldn't send for his war records either. I even said he should sit on them until he died, just to save me the 30 pounds but he wouldn't do it. I'll get Dad to send for them one day.

I did consider getting Dad to forge Grandad's signature, maybe you should think about it Joan. :rolleyes:

Oakum Picker
02-05-10, 10:40
It does seem strange if he joined up voluntarily!! Perhaps he was offered non-combatant National Service. What did he actually do during the war?

There are some records for COs at TNA.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/conscientiousobjectors.htm?WT.lp=rg-3153

Muggins in Sussex
02-05-10, 11:18
As MArg said you didn't name him, also you haven't said enough to narrow down the search to one person. If he was the only registered conscientious objector then there would have been a problem.

My grandad wouldn't send for his war records either. I even said he should sit on them until he died, just to save me the 30 pounds but he wouldn't do it. I'll get Dad to send for them one day.

I did consider getting Dad to forge Grandad's signature, maybe you should think about it Joan. :rolleyes:

LOL Toni!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)

It does seem strange if he joined up voluntarily!! Perhaps he was offered non-combatant National Service. What did he actually do during the war?

There are some records for COs at TNA.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/conscientiousobjectors.htm?WT.lp=rg-3153

Glen, I've no idea what he did in the army, other than that he was stationed at Schleswig Holstein.

I didn't know about the records at Kew - many thank for that :) - I hope to go again soon.

I only know that he was a CO, because I have found newspaper articles about him.

Kit
02-05-10, 11:24
Joan have you checked the gazettes online? It may have details of your Dad.

Muggins in Sussex
02-05-10, 11:43
I haven't, Toni - but I will- thanks:)