PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help find this birth

JBee
29-04-10, 11:15
Please

I have a Margaret Kirk daughter of Hugh and Catherine Kirk nee McKenzie who was according to the IGI was born on 2 Jun 1876 and baptised at St Cuthberts, North Shields, Northumberland.

On the 1881 census it also gives her place of birth as North Shields
RG11; Piece: 4987; Folio: 43; Page: 80; GSU roll: 1342199.

but I can't find the Birth registration to get the certificate.

There's a Margaret Ellen Kirk born in Sunderland but iirc she's with her family in Sunderland in the 1881 census. The Margaret Kirk born in Lanchester, Durham is also incorrect - father not Hugh.

Could it be she wasn't registered?

kiterunner
29-04-10, 11:41
I can't see the registration on the GRO indexes, but as I understand it, if you have her date and place of birth and parents' names, you can order the birth cert without the references and it will cost the same. District should be Tynemouth if she was born in North Shields. But of course if there is no certificate you wouldn't want to waste your money. (I haven't tried the new system yet myself though.)
Or you could try ordering from the local register office in case it was registered but didn't get onto the GRO index.

JBee
29-04-10, 12:12
Thanks Kite

She has driven me demented and I wondered if I was just missing it.

Think I will write to the local Registrars and see if they can find it.

Thanks for looking

Merry
29-04-10, 12:44
I noticed there is a birth reg for an Elizabeth Kirk in the birth Q but I can't find an Elizabeth on the 1881 census, nor a suitable death for Elizabeth before 1881, unless she and her family had moved completely out of the area.

I'm just wondering if there was a mix up with the birth reg for Margaret, or they even changed their choice of first name? Probably unlikely, but something to bear in mind. At least the parents have distinctive first names!

JBee
29-04-10, 13:00
I have just emailed the Registrars and hopefully they'll come back to me with a positive result.

Yes Hugonis (Hugh) is a more unusual christian name!!! I never thought to look for an Elizabeth in the 1881 census. oops

There's also an Eleanor born 1877 in Tynemouth but I very much doubt it that's her - as she already had a sister Ellen who was alive and kicking.

Thanks both of you for looking.

Merry
29-04-10, 13:25
Eleanor died the following year :(

JBee
29-04-10, 14:29
My Ellen is older and my other grandmother so I know she survived!!!

JBee
30-04-10, 09:12
Well the Registrars have got back to me and the Elizabeth Kirk isn't mine.

Back to the drawing board.

Merry
30-04-10, 12:16
Well it was a long shot! lol

Did they look for a regisration for your Margaret too?

JBee
30-04-10, 14:02
Think so - he even gave me a reference in case she may have been registered 10 years late in 1886 in Newcastle - but I found that Margaret with her parents George and Agnes in the 1891 census.

Margaret's mum Catherine died in childbirth in December 1880 and Hugh is with the younger children in 1881 but by 1891 he's abandoned them to rellies and taken to the road in Birley, Durham.

I haven't been able to find Margaret or sister Catherine b1879 Sunderland in the 1891 census and they don't appear to be with their married siblings.