PDA

View Full Version : Blinky certificates!

Phoenix
27-04-10, 12:56
"My" Sarah Moore was bp 1785 in Hamworthy, Dorset & married James Moore. He died,aged 40, before the start of civil registration, leaving her to bring up her daughter Susan, bp 1820, by herself.

On Susan's baptism, James is described as a labourer.

Susan has to get married in 1838. I don't have the cert to hand, but I think everyone is described as labourer, with James down as deceased.

1841 sees Susan with husband George Hawkins & young family in Hamworthy. No obvious sign of Sarah.

1851 - Poole, Dorset. Sarah Moore, born Hamworthy aged 66 (HO107 piece 1855 folio 354 page 29) with Susan & family.

1861 - Portsea, Hants Sarah Moore born Dorset aged 77 (RG09 piece 640 folio 150 page 15) with Susan & family

1871 - Portsea - Susan no longer has Mum with her. The death of a Sarah Moore in Portsea in 1861 was not her - I have the cert.

1871 - Portsea -(RG10 piece 1130 folio 165 page 34) has a Sarah Moore, aged 87 born KENT Deptford

In the hope that Deptford has a mishearing of Dorset, I got this old lady's death certificate.

11th January 1877. Union workhouse, Portsea. Sarah Moore, female, 92. Widow of William Moore a shipwright

Sarah's sil George was a shipwright. I'm prepared to believe a shipwright might have been described as a labourer, but William?

Advice, suggestions, & large glass of brandy all welcome!

Merry
27-04-10, 13:22
*Passes large brandy* whilst I re-read that (for the third time!)

Phoenix
27-04-10, 13:42
Thank you!

Put another way, I don't think Sarah has any other children (matters aren't helped by the fact that Hamworthy church was in disrepair in the early 1800s. Sarah helped to rebuild it!)

So, it's reasonable to suppose Sarah made her life with her daughter and died in Portsea. But the only suitable death is the cert I've ordered, with the wrong husband's name, and this must be the woman said to be born in Deptford.

If she is my ancestor, there are three wrong facts attached to her name.

If she isn't, who the heck is this other Sarah Moore, cos I can't find any trace of her either!

Merry
27-04-10, 13:47
I wouldn't worry about the census record too much - maybe the workhouse clerk turned over two pages at once when looking up info on the residents?

I suppose James may have been a labourer for a shipwright, so 'your dad built ships in Poole' turns into a shipwright, so then there's just the William but to deal with!

There is a William Moore shipwright in Portsea in 1851 (FMP index). He was b 1795 so probably not old enough to fit Sarah's husband (if the dead lady really was the wife of a shipwright called William). The other problems are that there is no Sarah in the household with him and I can't find him on Ancestry, so can't tell you any more. He wasn't born in Hampshire, Dorset, Sussex or Kent :rolleyes:

Nell
27-04-10, 21:50
Good luck Phoenix.

I have a William Moore in my family - a brother of my gt grandmother. I can't find out what happened to him as there are too many candidates in the census/death indexes.

Pesky rellies!